Sad news on campus

The what, where, and when around Oxford.

Moderator: Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Last Monday night was the Annual Lafayette-Oxford-University Christmas Parade followed by the annual lighting of the campus Christmas tree in front of the Lyceum. I got up to campus about 5 am on this past Thursday morning to do some walking around the circle and get some nighttime photos of the Christmas tree. When I was approaching the circle I noticed that there were several police cars and a fire truck in front of the Lyceum. I went to do walking on the west side of the campus but didn't hear what had happened that morning when I got to work. That afternoon I was in that area of campus and walked by to see and, sadly, the Christmas tree had caught fire and burned up. Physical plant was removing it. It's gone now.

Every year I've gone either early in the morning or late at night to admire the beautiful tree and the ornaments. I bought a camera back in August and I was excited about getting several shots of the tree this year. Unfortunately I was a day too late.

Oh well, thought I would share with everyone.
GO REBELS!!!
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

That is sad news. Will they not replace it?
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Don't know. The DM didn't run last week because of exams and won't run again until mid-January. I don't take the Oxford Eagle, so I haven't heard anything about it. All I know is what I saw with my own eyes. I would hope that they would.

If I remember correctly, that tree was a very expensive tree from another country that was given as a gift to the University a few years ago.
GO REBELS!!!
cajunrebel

Hmmmm. . .I wonder if any pigs had some hard feelings? :P
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

That's really sad when you think about it. That tree has exactly one light for every single Ole Miss student and it upsets me that something with such a neat tradition and symbolism is gone.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
RushB
Site Admin
Site Admin

How large was it now? Perhaps we can take up a collection to get another tree shipped in and planted.

http://www.treemover.com/

Later,
RushB
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan