Coach Nutt article from Sunday CL

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
JoeRebel wrote:I am about to quit reading all of the open forums completely. Atleast in the locker room ou dont have to read the same post regurgitated over and over again by a guy that is warning you about how bad Nutt is.

If anyone asks, my vote is to turn this board into a dictatorship and just start banning anyone that posts a Nutt statistic or talks about how he ran off a great OC, QB, and WR.
I am sorry for using facts when discussing sports. I hope optimism can cancel out any track record that your coach has. Does it bother you to hear the facts and if not... why don't you post something of substance that could contradict anything I post or just even your "opinion" on why it won't be the same at Ole Miss.
What part of, we have heard everything that you have said 1000 times over the last 2 months do you not understand?
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
bigtreydaddy wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote: I hear you. I guess some fans are very upset that he is even considered a decent coach because of how he literally let his ego get ahead of the football program.

He is a good coach but he would do alot better if he let his friends not be assistant coaches. Anyway, here is a look a Houston's record at AR. You think you guys are paying the right amount of money?

Career:
75-48 (.610) overall record
42-40 (.512) overall SEC record
30-20 (.600) vs. SEC-W
12-20 (.375) vs. SEC-E
15-13 (.535) vs. SEC in Fayetteville
10-of-10 seasons in which the first SEC loss is followed by a second SEC loss
8-of-10 seasons (.800) with three-game SEC losing streak
14-28 (.333) vs. ranked opponents
2-5 bowl record
Zero SEC Championships
Zero BCS bowl appearances
Zero National Championships

Career vs. SEC:
Alabama 5-5 (.500)
Auburn 5-5 (.500)
Florida 0-3 (.000)
Georgia 0-5 (.000)
Kentucky 2-3 (.400)
LSU 4-6 (.400)
Mississippi 7-3 (.700)
Mississippi State 9-1 (.900)
South Carolina 7-3 (.700)
Tennessee 2-6 (.250)
Vanderbilt 1-1 (.500)
Boy, I sure am glad that you posted all these stats, because I certainly have never seen them before. That's mediocrity if I've ever seen it. Thank you for being such an upright citizen and letting us know what we're getting into. Thanks. :roll: :? :x
Oh, you have seen them??? I was just wondering because some people seem to think he is a quality coach. I guess if I just wanted to win 1 SEC game then I would consider it a great hire. He was even able to accomplish these numbers with only one major university in the state, so no one to compete with.

At one point, he had 10 of the 12 top players in the state go to other schools. He has only recruited 2 players from Miss. his entire 10 years at AR so I am sure he will have no problem fighting Croom and USM for recruits... especially when they see that "pro-style" offense he runs.

I never knew that they only passed 12 times a game in the NFL but if he says so. Hey, cheer up bud... it can only get better right? Besides, he will do well with Coach O's players.
SEC you seem like a decent guy, and I welcome you to the site.

However, what you might be expiriencing here is a group of Rebel fans that have literally heard everything there is to allow on the history of our new Head Coach. We know all the facts, all the figures, seemingly all opinions (as there are only two really: those expressed by the jilted Hog fans and those of an excited Rebel fan base). Honestly, it has grown tiresome. All questions will most assuredly be answered at the end of August in this same year. But lemmee give you this...

I understand your taking shots as like an animal backed into a corner, you will feel the need to attack.But as folks here, myself included, might tell you is that this is a site for people who love the Rebels of Ole Miss. The negitivity revolving around Nutt has been heard loud and clear.

All that I ask (as a person with zero authority here, but a die hard Reb) is that you keep any and all debates factual. One SEC win is certainly not why we hired Coach Nutt. We were able to do that, barring the past season, with the likes of Coach O...Nutt has never endured a season where he was o-fer in the SEC.

He is a quality Coach, make no mistake about that. The guy is a proven winner. Whether or not that will translate to an SEC Championship, BCS Bowl Birth or National Championship remains to be seen.

I can say this, though. We have all heard ad nauseum that he will run up the middle, run up the middle, throw to the flat and punt. I say that with the hire of Kent Austin, HDN sees some of the err in his ways, and as many here have already stated, Ole Miss will have an air attack. People often learn from their mistakes, and I feel like Coach Nutt is an intelligent guy to begin with, and his evolution as a Coach is not done.

Lastly, you mention recruiting. That he was unable to keep the top Arkansas recruits in state.

First off, I have never heard that Arkansas is a real hot bed for the "up and comming" NFL caliber talent; As a matter of fact it seems to be quite the opposite. The same, for whatever reason, cannot be said for the State of Mississippi. There is alot of talent there to be tapped into.

Secondly (and I don't know this to be 100% true as I give most of time to following Rebel football, not Arky "pigskin"), but it is said that HDN is a master of finding the "diamond in the rough" recruit.

I'll be honest and say that I don't really know what that means, exactly, but it does link to another Coach of the same ilk.

This guy has won more games on the collegiant level in his chosen profession than anyone else, he has spurned a NC winning Asst., runs a completely clean program and graduates more kids than any other. This guy flat out wins and has been a "system Coach" for as long as I have been alive. He does not produce pro talent, he just wins at the college level. As an Ole Miss fan, that's all I ask for.

Oh yeah, and who is that guy?

Robert Montgomery Knight.

In closing, SEC, we appreciate your stopping by, offering you keen insight, but as a diplomat of the Conference as a whole, try to ease up a lil.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

OMNOB wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
bigtreydaddy wrote:
I understand you probably have heard all this before and really didn't even consider that others have come here to bash your coach. I came across the site the other day and am just now reading some of the AR fans post. I would be sick of it aswell. I do apologize but I do love a good debate... just ask my wife.

That leads me to respond to your post though. Hiring and OC is a positive sign but in the past Nutt has only had 2 OC's and after boths first year, they left. His first OC won OC of the Year awards and there was a defenite difference in the offense that year. He was demoted though and then took another job elsewhere. His second OC was hired to replace the OC of the Year before the OC of the Year was even gone and it happened to be a 2 time assistant to Nutt and the offense looked identical to Nutts previous 9 years of calling plays, of course before the AD required him to hire an OC. Who knows... maybe in Nutts 20 plus years of coaching, he finally learned from his mistakes and will be able to let another coach run his offense that he has run for 20 plus years.

The recruiting in AR isn't as plentiful as in many states but there are some seriously talented players here... just not as many. AR in the last three years has produced the #1 player in the nation(was at AR, now at USCal) and the very next year had the #2 QB in the country(was at Mich, now at AR). You also have a QB from AR who will be starting at Auburn this year. There is a reason these QB's did not come here. The only pro QB Nutt has ever had was Clint Stoerner who he did not recruit but inherited... not to mention Joe Ferguson was his QB coach then before he was fired. Stoerner only played a few games in the NFL. However, Tevarius Jackson started for the Vikings this year and he also played at AR under Nutt too, although he transferred after his 2nd year after being beched the first game of the season.

The diamond in the rough theory is just that, a theory. Can anyone name a player recruited by Nutt that wasn't supposed to be good that turned out to be great. The only one I can think of is Jamal Anderson and he was recruited as a tight end but when the defense got shorthanded was moved to DE where he excelled.

He might be able to tap into Miss. talent but hasn't but twice before in his 10 years in the SEC. If I heard correctly, he also burned a few bridges already in Miss. because he didn't honor all the commitments prior to the coaching change but the coaches in Miss. I have talked to could be wrong.

When you say proven winner, do you mean more wins than losses or do you mean... he beat the SunBelt conference up pretty good. I know his record against Miss. schools are outstanding but anyone alse in the SEC is .500 or below. Keep the faith... Hog fans did for 10 years until he never got the best players from AR and he never fired his buddies that even the AD suggested should be fired because of consistent short commings in that area.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

OMNOB wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
bigtreydaddy wrote: Boy, I sure am glad that you posted all these stats, because I certainly have never seen them before. That's mediocrity if I've ever seen it. Thank you for being such an upright citizen and letting us know what we're getting into. Thanks. :roll: :? :x
Oh, you have seen them??? I was just wondering because some people seem to think he is a quality coach. I guess if I just wanted to win 1 SEC game then I would consider it a great hire. He was even able to accomplish these numbers with only one major university in the state, so no one to compete with.

At one point, he had 10 of the 12 top players in the state go to other schools. He has only recruited 2 players from Miss. his entire 10 years at AR so I am sure he will have no problem fighting Croom and USM for recruits... especially when they see that "pro-style" offense he runs.

I never knew that they only passed 12 times a game in the NFL but if he says so. Hey, cheer up bud... it can only get better right? Besides, he will do well with Coach O's players.
SEC you seem like a decent guy, and I welcome you to the site.

However, what you might be expiriencing here is a group of Rebel fans that have literally heard everything there is to allow on the history of our new Head Coach. We know all the facts, all the figures, seemingly all opinions (as there are only two really: those expressed by the jilted Hog fans and those of an excited Rebel fan base). Honestly, it has grown tiresome. All questions will most assuredly be answered at the end of August in this same year. But lemmee give you this...

I understand your taking shots as like an animal backed into a corner, you will feel the need to attack.But as folks here, myself included, might tell you is that this is a site for people who love the Rebels of Ole Miss. The negitivity revolving around Nutt has been heard loud and clear.

All that I ask (as a person with zero authority here, but a die hard Reb) is that you keep any and all debates factual. One SEC win is certainly not why we hired Coach Nutt. We were able to do that, barring the past season, with the likes of Coach O...Nutt has never endured a season where he was o-fer in the SEC.

He is a quality Coach, make no mistake about that. The guy is a proven winner. Whether or not that will translate to an SEC Championship, BCS Bowl Birth or National Championship remains to be seen.

I can say this, though. We have all heard ad nauseum that he will run up the middle, run up the middle, throw to the flat and punt. I say that with the hire of Kent Austin, HDN sees some of the err in his ways, and as many here have already stated, Ole Miss will have an air attack. People often learn from their mistakes, and I feel like Coach Nutt is an intelligent guy to begin with, and his evolution as a Coach is not done.

Lastly, you mention recruiting. That he was unable to keep the top Arkansas recruits in state.

First off, I have never heard that Arkansas is a real hot bed for the "up and comming" NFL caliber talent; As a matter of fact it seems to be quite the opposite. The same, for whatever reason, cannot be said for the State of Mississippi. There is alot of talent there to be tapped into.

Secondly (and I don't know this to be 100% true as I give most of time to following Rebel football, not Arky "pigskin"), but it is said that HDN is a master of finding the "diamond in the rough" recruit.

I'll be honest and say that I don't really know what that means, exactly, but it does link to another Coach of the same ilk.

This guy has won more games on the collegiant level in his chosen profession than anyone else, he has spurned a NC winning Asst., runs a completely clean program and graduates more kids than any other. This guy flat out wins and has been a "system Coach" for as long as I have been alive. He does not produce pro talent, he just wins at the college level. As an Ole Miss fan, that's all I ask for.

Oh yeah, and who is that guy?

Robert Montgomery Knight.

In closing, SEC, we appreciate your stopping by, offering you keen insight, but as a diplomat of the Conference as a whole, try to ease up a lil.
I couldn't have said it better myself... thanks for this post.
Later,
Hagar
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The continued posting of all this crap from ARK fans is getting really old now. I can't even enjoy the site anymore for having to wade through all of their posts, and not one new thing has been added since the first time they showed up here posting! Enough is enough, why don't they just go home? Someone please ban the next one that posts anything negative about Nutt and let's just be done with them. Please!!!
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

ekmjr1 wrote:The continued posting of all this crap from ARK fans is getting really old now. I can't even enjoy the site anymore for having to wade through all of their posts, and not one new thing has been added since the first time they showed up here posting! Enough is enough, why don't they just go home? Someone please ban the next one that posts anything negative about Nutt and let's just be done with them. Please!!!
But that wouldn't be "fair" or "fact-based" or "Nutt-derogatory"! :roll:
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
OMNOB wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
I have a hard time understanding why I am giving this any kind of a rebuttal, SEC, as even after my pervious post laid things mostly out on a line for you, but, if I had to guess it would be your comment about a good debate.

This baffles me. (alot of things that you have to allow here baffles me though)

Allow me to comment catagorically and in succession to your "highly debatable" post.

1.) Your apology is accepted. However, your post should have ended here.

2.) Debating with your wife is very,very different than debating with a group of intelligent and knowledgable Ole Miss fans...one vs most almost never favors the one.

3.) I hear you on the past OC's of UPig, you seem to know a great deal about them both, but do you know anything about Kent Austin?

Allow me to answer for you.....

....no.

You see, Kent Austin was a top QB in Ole Miss Rebel lore. No , he is not Archie, Eli, Connerly, or Fourcade, but he is up there.

He is an absolute legend in Saskatchewan, were he won a Grey Cup as the MVP as QB in 1989, and later on in 2007, won a Grey Cup as the Roughriders Head Coach. This makes him the only one to win a cup as both a player and a Head Coach. (and before you poo-poo the CFL, take note that Doug Flutie had mad success there before proving he was a formidable QB in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills)

Meanwhile, back at Ole Miss, before Eli came to town, Austin threw for more yards than any other in a Rebel uni, was a four time academic All American, and has a bust in the Mississippi Hall of Fame (which includes such greats as Waltor Payton, Jerry Rice, and L.C. Greenwood to name a few)

I give you this info to say that, in essence, it is my opinion that you have not a clue as to what you talk about.

You give Malzahn and Lee as references.....at where?

That's right, Arkansas.

This is not Arkansas, our AD is not Frank Broyles and we have never been "in bed" with HDN.

Say what you will about Coach Nutt, but the guy ain't an idiot. He knows that he got a d*** good second chance in Oxford. I, myself, am no rocket scientist, but it seems clear as crystal to me that with the personnal moves he has made, the things that he has said, and (I'm sure a burning desire to show the Pigs up) his yearning to achieve success will, again, as I said before, have opened his eyes and see some of the err in his ways.

4.) Your recruiting allowment holds zero water.

exhibit a.) Malzahn/Mustain=absolute nightmere
exhibit b.) Arkansas is not, again, as you stated yourself, not a talent ridden State
exhibit c.) *See my number 3

5.) Let us not get so dramatic here. Noone suggested that Nutt turns me into a Hiesman Trophy winner.

When the "diamond in the rough" theroy was made, it meant simply that he could take a player (for debates sake) that was a two star athlete and make him viable within the system, a performer, an asset to the team.

6.) I am quite sure that in recruiting he did not tap into Mississippi much, probably because he was the Head Coach of Arkansas.

As to your "bridge burning", this could have a grain of truth, but those bridges seem to be re-building as he is now the HC at OLE MISS. Kids in Misissippi like Ole Miss.

7.) When I say that he is a proven winner, I do not mean that he "beatup the Sun Belt Conference pretty good". I meant that he took the Razorbacks (who is not the jaggernaut that Arky fans think they are) to several bowls, two (yes, two, I'll give the Alabama one) SEC Championship appearences, and a two time Hiesman finalist.

As a Rebel fan, I'll take that.

Lastly, please stop going from room to room here acting as though you are an un-biased observer, you clearly are not.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OMNOB wrote: I have a hard time understanding why I am giving this any kind of a rebuttal, SEC, as even after my pervious post laid things mostly out on a line for you, but, if I had to guess it would be your comment about a good debate.

This baffles me. (alot of things that you have to allow here baffles me though)

Allow me to comment catagorically and in succession to your "highly debatable" post.

1.) Your apology is accepted. However, your post should have ended here.

2.) Debating with your wife is very,very different than debating with a group of intelligent and knowledgable Ole Miss fans...one vs most almost never favors the one.

3.) I hear you on the past OC's of UPig, you seem to know a great deal about them both, but do you know anything about Kent Austin?

Allow me to answer for you.....

....no.

You see, Kent Austin was a top QB in Ole Miss Rebel lore. No , he is not Archie, Eli, Connerly, or Fourcade, but he is up there.

He is an absolute legend in Saskatchewan, were he won a Grey Cup as the MVP as QB in 1989, and later on in 2007, won a Grey Cup as the Roughriders Head Coach. This makes him the only one to win a cup as both a player and a Head Coach. (and before you poo-poo the CFL, take note that Doug Flutie had mad success there before proving he was a formidable QB in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills)

Meanwhile, back at Ole Miss, before Eli came to town, Austin threw for more yards than any other in a Rebel uni, was a four time academic All American, and has a bust in the Mississippi Hall of Fame (which includes such greats as Waltor Payton, Jerry Rice, and L.C. Greenwood to name a few)

I give you this info to say that, in essence, it is my opinion that you have not a clue as to what you talk about.

You give Malzahn and Lee as references.....at where?

That's right, Arkansas.

This is not Arkansas, our AD is not Frank Broyles and we have never been "in bed" with HDN.

Say what you will about Coach Nutt, but the guy ain't an idiot. He knows that he got a d*** good second chance in Oxford. I, myself, am no rocket scientist, but it seems clear as crystal to me that with the personnal moves he has made, the things that he has said, and (I'm sure a burning desire to show the Pigs up) his yearning to achieve success will, again, as I said before, have opened his eyes and see some of the err in his ways.

4.) Your recruiting allowment holds zero water.

exhibit a.) Malzahn/Mustain=absolute nightmere
exhibit b.) Arkansas is not, again, as you stated yourself, not a talent ridden State
exhibit c.) *See my number 3

5.) Let us not get so dramatic here. Noone suggested that Nutt turns me into a Hiesman Trophy winner.

When the "diamond in the rough" theroy was made, it meant simply that he could take a player (for debates sake) that was a two star athlete and make him viable within the system, a performer, an asset to the team.

6.) I am quite sure that in recruiting he did not tap into Mississippi much, probably because he was the Head Coach of Arkansas.

As to your "bridge burning", this could have a grain of truth, but those bridges seem to be re-building as he is now the HC at OLE MISS. Kids in Misissippi like Ole Miss.

7.) When I say that he is a proven winner, I do not mean that he "beatup the Sun Belt Conference pretty good". I meant that he took the Razorbacks (who is not the jaggernaut that Arky fans think they are) to several bowls, two (yes, two, I'll give the Alabama one) SEC Championship appearences, and a two time Hiesman finalist.

As a Rebel fan, I'll take that.

Lastly, please stop going from room to room here acting as though you are an un-biased observer, you clearly are not.
Very well said, not that I think it will do any good, but well said none the less.
Randy
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

OMNOB wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
OMNOB wrote:
Amen, Amen!
03rebs

I think we have all made our point in this topic. Let's move on.
Forward Rebels!