Coach Nutt article from Sunday CL

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

done

PiggySmalls wrote:
rebeloke wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote: All schools have fans that believe one thing and fans that believe another. Ole Miss fans just want to win. The fracture at Arky was far beyond the normal differing opinions. It was hateful and ugly. Our divisions have not been like that, but I will admit they were getting there as it regarded Coach O.
We get a bad rap for firing Cut for going 4-7 after the 10 win season, however, there is a big difference between winning 10 games the previous year and then backing it up with 8 wins and one over the no. 1 team in the nation and they still wanted to fire the guy. We did not want to fire Cut but some of his staff, he refused, so he got the boot. Had we just played for a conference championship and then went 8 or 9 wins there would be nothing but dancing in the streets at Ole Miss. Arkansas just ran off the best coach they could have hoped to have over a group of insane boosters and some immature snot noised little punks.
After 10 years of being told we would get a pro style offense and that we would not lose the top recruits from Arkansas and that we would have winning seasons we got tired of the lies and bullcrap.
Not to be too nitpicking, but you did have winning seasons.
PiggySmalls
Water Boy
Water Boy

Rebchuck18 wrote:
PiggySmalls wrote:
rebeloke wrote: We get a bad rap for firing Cut for going 4-7 after the 10 win season, however, there is a big difference between winning 10 games the previous year and then backing it up with 8 wins and one over the no. 1 team in the nation and they still wanted to fire the guy. We did not want to fire Cut but some of his staff, he refused, so he got the boot. Had we just played for a conference championship and then went 8 or 9 wins there would be nothing but dancing in the streets at Ole Miss. Arkansas just ran off the best coach they could have hoped to have over a group of insane boosters and some immature snot noised little punks.
After 10 years of being told we would get a pro style offense and that we would not lose the top recruits from Arkansas and that we would have winning seasons we got tired of the lies and bullcrap.
Not to be too nitpicking, but you did have winning seasons.
Yea but no BCS bowls
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Hagar wrote:
nuttsucks wrote:WPS!!!!

the nuttsac will show you his true colors soon enough. How is your recruiting going especially with Houston in Jonesboro watching his brother coach basketball?
Say Goodbye... read the warning I have given...idiot!
Thank you Hagar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
L. S. WHO?
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

I must say, I am shocked at what I have read. Has anyone doen their homework? I have lived in just about every state included in the SEC and have gotten to know many different fans. I fell in love with Ole Miss the first home game I went to.

I fell in love, not because of winning but because of the fans great attitudes about losing. I remember being told how "we may not win the game but we will the party!" Ahhh, the spirit of college athletics at its best. I think if you go to another SEC school, their motto will be a little different... OK Vandy or Kentucky but they don't party like here.

Now in AR, they have been where you are now. They have also become more competive than they once were. The question is... how much of it has to do with the coach?

Well, some say not much and some say everything. Nutt is from Little Rock, he played for the Hogs before transferring. He played for Lou Holtz and coached with Jimmy Johnson who is also an AR alumn. Nutt was deemed "coach for life" much like Frank Broyles was at AR. So how did it all turn to this?

It is really simple. He came in and used his love for the Hogs and homegrown mentallity to energize the state and team. He had remarkable seasons his first 2 seasons with no starters being players he recruited. When the excitment wore off and his recruited players never included a capable QB... people began to question his recruiting ability, development of QBs, and play calling. It had gotten so bad that the AD Frank Broyles mandated that he hire an OC because the offense was too predictable. The only time plays really ever worked was when athletes like Matt Jones made plays outside of the play called. Well, he hired that OC.

It just so happened that the OC he hired was the High School coach of the #1 recruit in America which also would bring in 3 other 4* athletes from the same HS. People didn't care why he hired the OC... although the OC was known as a offensive mastermind. That OC ended up being the "OC of the Year" by rivals and gave Nutt his first 10 win season ever. That OC was then told he would be demoted after that season and another OC that had prviously been hired by Nutt twice before, would come in and help with the play calling duties. OC of the Year left for Tulsa where he produced the #1 offense in the nation.Also as a side note... a book came out about that #1 player in the nation and quoted him as calling Nutt a dork and said he would not go to the UofAR as long as Nutt was the coach. The #1 recruit in the nation also recieved harrassing emails from Nutt's close family friend to which nothing was done about. The #1 rectuit in the nation was benched after being the first player in school history to go 8-0 as a starter. After one pick following the release of that book, that teenager never played another down until the bowl game... the Hogs lost all but 1. So, why is this relevant?

It is relevant because Nutt takes care of his own and if you aren't his "own" you might encounter many problems... whether it be a player or coach. If you look at his staff, it is almost funny. They have zero coaches of SEC quality or at least no team in the SEC has ever offered them a job. Besides his recent hires... these same coaches have been with him since his 4-7 days at Boisie State. I could be wrong but I have seen many of SEC coaches coach and these guys are buddies of his... not coaches with the threat of losing their jobs if their department is consistently a problem.

I think the bottom line is... Nutt could do great things here but the history shows he will only get you to the middle of the pack. He has had many talented players on his teams but often evaluates their talent differently than others might. Try NFL WR's playing QB, WR's playing DB, and NFL QB's getting benched for the services of Casey "That other QB from Arkansas". It is a long road ahead od Rebel Land and Nutt could make some headway but ever, ever look for it to get you to the top!

SEC FAN FOR LIFE!!!!!
CoastRebel48
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:I must say, I am shocked at what I have read. Has anyone doen their homework? I have lived in just about every state included in the SEC and have gotten to know many different fans. I fell in love with Ole Miss the first home game I went to.

I fell in love, not because of winning but because of the fans great attitudes about losing. I remember being told how "we may not win the game but we will the party!" Ahhh, the spirit of college athletics at its best. I think if you go to another SEC school, their motto will be a little different... OK Vandy or Kentucky but they don't party like here.

Now in AR, they have been where you are now. They have also become more competive than they once were. The question is... how much of it has to do with the coach?

Well, some say not much and some say everything. Nutt is from Little Rock, he played for the Hogs before transferring. He played for Lou Holtz and coached with Jimmy Johnson who is also an AR alumn. Nutt was deemed "coach for life" much like Frank Broyles was at AR. So how did it all turn to this?

It is really simple. He came in and used his love for the Hogs and homegrown mentallity to energize the state and team. He had remarkable seasons his first 2 seasons with no starters being players he recruited. When the excitment wore off and his recruited players never included a capable QB... people began to question his recruiting ability, development of QBs, and play calling. It had gotten so bad that the AD Frank Broyles mandated that he hire an OC because the offense was too predictable. The only time plays really ever worked was when athletes like Matt Jones made plays outside of the play called. Well, he hired that OC.

It just so happened that the OC he hired was the High School coach of the #1 recruit in America which also would bring in 3 other 4* athletes from the same HS. People didn't care why he hired the OC... although the OC was known as a offensive mastermind. That OC ended up being the "OC of the Year" by rivals and gave Nutt his first 10 win season ever. That OC was then told he would be demoted after that season and another OC that had prviously been hired by Nutt twice before, would come in and help with the play calling duties. OC of the Year left for Tulsa where he produced the #1 offense in the nation.Also as a side note... a book came out about that #1 player in the nation and quoted him as calling Nutt a dork and said he would not go to the UofAR as long as Nutt was the coach. The #1 recruit in the nation also recieved harrassing emails from Nutt's close family friend to which nothing was done about. The #1 rectuit in the nation was benched after being the first player in school history to go 8-0 as a starter. After one pick following the release of that book, that teenager never played another down until the bowl game... the Hogs lost all but 1. So, why is this relevant?

It is relevant because Nutt takes care of his own and if you aren't his "own" you might encounter many problems... whether it be a player or coach. If you look at his staff, it is almost funny. They have zero coaches of SEC quality or at least no team in the SEC has ever offered them a job. Besides his recent hires... these same coaches have been with him since his 4-7 days at Boisie State. I could be wrong but I have seen many of SEC coaches coach and these guys are buddies of his... not coaches with the threat of losing their jobs if their department is consistently a problem.

I think the bottom line is... Nutt could do great things here but the history shows he will only get you to the middle of the pack. He has had many talented players on his teams but often evaluates their talent differently than others might. Try NFL WR's playing QB, WR's playing DB, and NFL QB's getting benched for the services of Casey *beep*. It is a long road ahead od Rebel Land and Nutt could make some headway but ever, ever look for it to get you to the top!

SEC FAN FOR LIFE!!!!!
Gee thanks. I hadn't seen most of this. I really appreciate you posting all of this. I guess all us Rebel fans have a great deal to think about now. Thanks for stopping by. Your welcome to come back to the Grove anytime. Next time make sure you tell everyone you meet just what you posted here. I bet they will appreciate it just as much as I have. :roll:
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

No worries! I love Ole Miss and always will. I go to about 2 games a year at the grove, always try to make an LSU game and the MSU game when at home. I travel alot and have heard just about every side of every story but am more fresh with this news because I have been working with Wal-Mart in AR as a vender for about 9 years.

I think Nutt is one of the best motivational coaches I have seen but his game planning and team dicipline is what has cost him the most. The thing about a Nutt team I find true more than any is "he loses the games he should win and then turns around and wins the games he should lose." That is what causes the dissapointment for fans... it makes you say, well if we can beat them... whay did we lose to these guys?

First time on the board and I will check it out again.
BigDeal
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

The hiring of Coach Nutt will prove to be one of the best moves by Ole Miss in a long time. I predict a very surprising year in 2008. Coach Nutt can motivate these players.
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

BigDeal wrote:The hiring of Coach Nutt will prove to be one of the best moves by Ole Miss in a long time. I predict a very surprising year in 2008. Coach Nutt can motivate these players.
You are exactly right about motivation. That is his Ace of Spades. I think he will improve your record from last year and every year after that until Coach O's players are gone. These are just my opinions of course and I have only been covering SEC football for over 27 years. Lived in AR for 9 of those so I feel I might have some insight into this particular coaching staff.

The way I see it is that you have gained a great motivator but you lost a great recruiter. You may feel you lost a poor game planner but I feel you haven't upgraded much there. You has a pretty solid assistant coaching staff and will definately be down grading there. Who knows.. I could be dead wrong.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
BigDeal wrote:The hiring of Coach Nutt will prove to be one of the best moves by Ole Miss in a long time. I predict a very surprising year in 2008. Coach Nutt can motivate these players.
You are exactly right about motivation. That is his Ace of Spades. I think he will improve your record from last year and every year after that until Coach O's players are gone. These are just my opinions of course and I have only been covering SEC football for over 27 years. Lived in AR for 9 of those so I feel I might have some insight into this particular coaching staff.

The way I see it is that you have gained a great motivator but you lost a great recruiter. You may feel you lost a poor game planner but I feel you haven't upgraded much there. You has a pretty solid assistant coaching staff and will definately be down grading there. Who knows.. I could be dead wrong.
You lost me at "You has..."
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

To all the Hog fans that insist on telling us over and over what a bad hire we made in Nutt.... We made our bed, let us sleep in it. I think Nutt will turn us around quickly, but lets say we are wrong and you are right. Not to worry... I think we have proven that we will not put up with mediocrity very long. Cutt got one losing year, and O got three. If we are wrong and Nutt fails, we will still be OK, so not to worry!
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

ekmjr1 wrote:To all the Hog fans that insist on telling us over and over what a bad hire we made in Nutt.... We made our bed, let us sleep in it. I think Nutt will turn us around quickly, but lets say we are wrong and you are right. Not to worry... I think we have proven that we will not put up with mediocrity very long. Cutt got one losing year, and O got three. If we are wrong and Nutt fails, we will still be OK, so not to worry!
I hear you. I guess some fans are very upset that he is even considered a decent coach because of how he literally let his ego get ahead of the football program.

He is a good coach but he would do alot better if he let his friends not be assistant coaches. Anyway, here is a look a Houston's record at AR. You think you guys are paying the right amount of money?

Career:
75-48 (.610) overall record
42-40 (.512) overall SEC record
30-20 (.600) vs. SEC-W
12-20 (.375) vs. SEC-E
15-13 (.535) vs. SEC in Fayetteville
10-of-10 seasons in which the first SEC loss is followed by a second SEC loss
8-of-10 seasons (.800) with three-game SEC losing streak
14-28 (.333) vs. ranked opponents
2-5 bowl record
Zero SEC Championships
Zero BCS bowl appearances
Zero National Championships

Career vs. SEC:
Alabama 5-5 (.500)
Auburn 5-5 (.500)
Florida 0-3 (.000)
Georgia 0-5 (.000)
Kentucky 2-3 (.400)
LSU 4-6 (.400)
Mississippi 7-3 (.700)
Mississippi State 9-1 (.900)
South Carolina 7-3 (.700)
Tennessee 2-6 (.250)
Vanderbilt 1-1 (.500)
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:
ekmjr1 wrote:To all the Hog fans that insist on telling us over and over what a bad hire we made in Nutt.... We made our bed, let us sleep in it. I think Nutt will turn us around quickly, but lets say we are wrong and you are right. Not to worry... I think we have proven that we will not put up with mediocrity very long. Cutt got one losing year, and O got three. If we are wrong and Nutt fails, we will still be OK, so not to worry!
I hear you. I guess some fans are very upset that he is even considered a decent coach because of how he literally let his ego get ahead of the football program.

He is a good coach but he would do alot better if he let his friends not be assistant coaches. Anyway, here is a look a Houston's record at AR. You think you guys are paying the right amount of money?

Career:
30-20 (.600) vs. SEC-W
12-20 (.375) vs. SEC-E
2-5 bowl record
Zero SEC Championships

Career vs. SEC:
Alabama 5-5 (.500)
Auburn 5-5 (.500)
Florida 0-3 (.000)
Georgia 0-5 (.000)
Kentucky 2-3 (.400)
LSU 4-6 (.400)
Mississippi 7-3 (.700)
Tennessee 2-6 (.250)
Vanderbilt 1-1 (.500)
Boy, I sure am glad that you posted all these stats, because I certainly have never seen them before. That's mediocrity if I've ever seen it. I believe I'll get a lynch mob up and march right up to the Athletics Dept. and take care of this situation and find us a Petrino-type that will help us not only in the W-L column, but improve our image as well. Thank you for being such an upright citizen and letting us know what we're getting into. Thanks. :roll: :? :x
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

bigtreydaddy wrote:
SECanyQUESTIONS wrote:

Career:
30-20 (.600) vs. SEC-W
12-20 (.375) vs. SEC-E
2-5 bowl record
Zero SEC Championships

Career vs. SEC:
Alabama 5-5 (.500)
Auburn 5-5 (.500)
Florida 0-3 (.000)
Georgia 0-5 (.000)
Kentucky 2-3 (.400)
LSU 4-6 (.400)
Mississippi 7-3 (.700)
Tennessee 2-6 (.250)
Vanderbilt 1-1 (.500)
Boy, I sure am glad that you posted all these stats, because I certainly have never seen them before. That's mediocrity if I've ever seen it. Thank you for being such an upright citizen and letting us know what we're getting into. Thanks. :roll: :? :x
Oh, you have seen them??? I was just wondering because some people seem to think he is a quality coach. I guess if I just wanted to win 1 SEC game then I would consider it a great hire. He was even able to accomplish these numbers with only one major university in the state, so no one to compete with.

At one point, he had 10 of the 12 top players in the state go to other schools. He has only recruited 2 players from Miss. his entire 10 years at AR so I am sure he will have no problem fighting Croom and USM for recruits... especially when they see that "pro-style" offense he runs.

I never knew that they only passed 12 times a game in the NFL but if he says so. Hey, cheer up bud... it can only get better right? Besides, he will do well with Coach O's players.
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

I am about to quit reading all of the open forums completely. Atleast in the locker room ou dont have to read the same post regurgitated over and over again by a guy that is warning you about how bad Nutt is.

If anyone asks, my vote is to turn this board into a dictatorship and just start banning anyone that posts a Nutt statistic or talks about how he ran off a great OC, QB, and WR.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
SECanyQUESTIONS
Water Boy
Water Boy

JoeRebel wrote:I am about to quit reading all of the open forums completely. Atleast in the locker room ou dont have to read the same post regurgitated over and over again by a guy that is warning you about how bad Nutt is.

If anyone asks, my vote is to turn this board into a dictatorship and just start banning anyone that posts a Nutt statistic or talks about how he ran off a great OC, QB, and WR.
I am sorry for using facts when discussing sports. I hope optimism can cancel out any track record that your coach has. Does it bother you to hear the facts and if not... why don't you post something of substance that could contradict anything I post or just even your "opinion" on why it won't be the same at Ole Miss.