Is there a slither of hope....

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I know it's not the cure all, but IMO it would be an improvement.

Unfortunately I fear that I am being teased again (reference I believe Oxfordrebs earlier confusion over the plus one system and how that turned out).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/stor ... 0000000000
Randy
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

it has to be the beginning of the bigger playoff discussion. this cant be brought up in conversation of commissioners without someone else bringing up "why not just go to a playoff period" argument
GtownRebel
All American
All American

have a field day and the liberal press would feed on it for months if this came to a head. The school admins already are against the bowl games moving into January...remember school first, then athletics...even though they get $$$'s from athletics to fund some projects in academics. But it is just a dream that there would be a playoff system. Add 4 more weeks to the season and you might get a chance, but not many coaches are really in favor of it either. JMO.
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Looks like Georgia's President is weighing in,

"-has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

IMO truer words could not have been spoken.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232
Randy
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

I might be the only one on the bowl-side of the fence, but I just don't think a playoff system is a good idea. Granted, the BCS isn't without a slew of problems that need to be rectified. However, a playoff would destroy the integrity of the regular season (NCAA BB), which, for some teams (Sun Belt, WAC, MWC) is all they have. Can a better method of choosing the two teams in the NC game be developed? Probably. Is that method a playoff? IMO, I think not.
done

rewalters wrote:Looks like Georgia's President is weighing in,

"-has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

IMO truer words could not have been spoken.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232
If his team would have actually won the SEC instead of getting pulverized by TN and finishing second in their division, he might not be spitting out such sour grapes....
done

bigtreydaddy wrote:I might be the only one on the bowl-side of the fence, but I just don't think a playoff system is a good idea. Granted, the BCS isn't without a slew of problems that need to be rectified. However, a playoff would destroy the integrity of the regular season (NCAA BB), which, for some teams (Sun Belt, WAC, MWC) is all they have. Can a better method of choosing the two teams in the NC game be developed? Probably. Is that method a playoff? IMO, I think not.
Well said!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

bigtreydaddy wrote:I might be the only one on the bowl-side of the fence, but I just don't think a playoff system is a good idea. Granted, the BCS isn't without a slew of problems that need to be rectified. However, a playoff would destroy the integrity of the regular season (NCAA BB), which, for some teams (Sun Belt, WAC, MWC) is all they have. Can a better method of choosing the two teams in the NC game be developed? Probably. Is that method a playoff? IMO, I think not.
I agree. I have said before that I would rather the old bowl system where you pretty much have a split champ every year than a playoff. But since neither will ever happen, just take the evil we have and be done with it.

No solution will EVER eliminate controversy about who the real NC is.
GO REBELS!!!
done

I know that I am spitting against the wind here, but when the NCAA Final Four is over pretty much nobody talks about college basketball until the next season. When the Super Bowl is over, pretty much nobody talks about the NFL until the next season (except of course the draft), when the College World Series is over pretty much nobody talks about college baseball until the next season.

The college football season is now over...but college football discussions will still get more reactions on this board than anything else. Part of the reason is that college football is more exciting than the others. I think that this is because the regular season means so much. Another part of the reason is that 32 teams finished this year with a win, whereas only one of the 64 basketball teams does, and only one of the NFL playoff teams does...another part of the reason that we talk so much is that under any method of determining the National Champion throughout the years there has always been "what if" discussions that carry us to the next year.

College football is magic....part of that magic is the bowl system...any further expansion of a playoff format will further dilute the bowl system and some of that magic will disappear....and the first year that a non-champion (like Georgia this year) wins a playoff then the validity of the National Championship will be watered down.

So what will we be left with....an underserving National Champ and a dead bowl system.....

I am telling you all...if you are true fans of the magic and pageantry of college football, be careful what you ask for...you just might get it and then college football will become more akin to what major college basketball is rapidly becoming....a developmental league for the professional league.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:I know that I am spitting against the wind here, but when the NCAA Final Four is over pretty much nobody talks about college basketball until the next season. When the Super Bowl is over, pretty much nobody talks about the NFL until the next season (except of course the draft), when the College World Series is over pretty much nobody talks about college baseball until the next season.

The college football season is now over...but college football discussions will still get more reactions on this board than anything else. Part of the reason is that college football is more exciting than the others. I think that this is because the regular season means so much. Another part of the reason is that 32 teams finished this year with a win, whereas only one of the 64 basketball teams does, and only one of the NFL playoff teams does...another part of the reason that we talk so much is that under any method of determining the National Champion throughout the years there has always been "what if" discussions that carry us to the next year.

College football is magic....part of that magic is the bowl system...any further expansion of a playoff format will further dilute the bowl system and some of that magic will disappear....and the first year that a non-champion (like Georgia this year) wins a playoff then the validity of the National Championship will be watered down.

So what will we be left with....an underserving National Champ and a dead bowl system.....

I am telling you all...if you are true fans of the magic and pageantry of college football, be careful what you ask for...you just might get it and then college football will become more akin to what major college basketball is rapidly becoming....a developmental league for the professional league.
Last week I might have argued with you, but I am in total agreement now.
I think bowls, and the what if's are what makes college FB the best.
L. S. WHO?
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Some are College football purest and would like to keep the game the way it is, and there is nothing wrong with that. It is no different than a baseball purest (which I classify myself) that resists change no matter what the benefits. You are not going to change my mind on baseball issues just as I am not going to change your mind on College football playoff issues.

With that being said, without starting a big argument, I would like to try to express the other side;

I don’t really get this water down season scenario, especially for a four or eight team playoff. First of all even for an eight team playoff I don’t believe any teams would be “dogging it” simply because in order to make the playoffs you would more than likely have to avoid a three loss season maybe even a two loss season. Since the beginning of the BCS system, as far as I can find, there has never been a three loss team in the top eight. So it would stand to reason that every game would be just as exciting, if not more so, because more teams would still be alive at the end of the season. Secondly, seeding would be the most important thing, your seeding would be crucial. A late season loss could cause a first round away game if it didn’t knock you out of the playoffs all together. Now for a sixteen team playoff there might be an argument of watering down the season, but I have to believe the importance of seeding would solve that problem.

On the Georgia situation, I don’t agree with the conference title thing either, just because you are not in the title game doesn’t mean you can’t be the best team in the country. If College football would have had a playoff system this year and Georgia would have won two or three games to win the playoff then by all means they have proved they are the best team in the country, at least in my mind. You can luck up and win one game, but to win two or three is usually pretty far fetched.

I know I am probably in the minority here, and I don’t have all the answers on how it would work (travel, home/away games, using the existing bowls, etc). But I firmly believe that a playoff system would be great for College football in general, just as exciting, if not more, than the current system.

But as I referred to earlier, to the purest this would not be the case. A College football playoff would be its downfall, just as in my mind the DH and adding the wildcard has been the downfall of baseball. Right?
Randy
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

oxpatchreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:I know that I am spitting against the wind here, but when the NCAA Final Four is over pretty much nobody talks about college basketball until the next season. When the Super Bowl is over, pretty much nobody talks about the NFL until the next season (except of course the draft), when the College World Series is over pretty much nobody talks about college baseball until the next season.

Last week I might have argued with you, but I am in total agreement now.
I think bowls, and the what if's are what makes college FB the best.
It is good to see sanity being applied to this issue!
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

there's a sensible way to have bowls AND a play-off. Have 8 "BCS" bowls and 24 "reward for a good season" bowls. NO conference tie-ins. the top 16 teams play in the BCS bowls. The other bowls get the best remaining teams...and there season ends after the bowl game. The winners of the BCS bolws play 4 games. the winners play 2 games and thee winners meet for the championship.

Now, before you do all that...go back to an 11 game season, and eliminate Conference championship games altogether.

11 games, bowl game, play off game, play off game...championship game.

that's 15 games for the two best teams. LSU played 14 this tear anyway.

That way..the 16 best teams get to prove themselves and only the ones who "deserve" to keep playing, play more than 12 games.

This system "could" allow 4 ..even 5 SEC teams to make the BCS bowls. Can't even rule out 6 SEC teams, since they don't knock each other out with a conference Championship. This year, you could argue that GA and LSU should have played for the title. My way...they can.
done

rebelliousb wrote:
This system "could" allow 4 ..even 5 SEC teams to make the BCS bowls. Can't even rule out 6 SEC teams, since they don't knock each other out with a conference Championship. This year, you could argue that GA and LSU should have played for the title. My way...they can.
That is exactly the problem with this....LSU has already proven they are the best team in the SEC, they did that in Atlanta....TN has already proven that they were the best team in the East, they obliterated Georgia in the regular season....

Why should LSU have to prove yet again that it is better than the rest of its own conference...that is preposterous to have a system that would allow a second place team from a conference in, much less a third, fourth or fifth place team....we might as well get rid of the conferences then...the regular season would be as meaningless as an NHL regular season then.....

That would absolutely ruin College football....
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
That is exactly the problem with this....LSU has already proven they are the best team in the SEC, they did that in Atlanta....TN has already proven that they were the best team in the East, they obliterated Georgia in the regular season....

Why should LSU have to prove yet again that it is better than the rest of its own conference...that is preposterous to have a system that would allow a second place team from a conference in, much less a third, fourth or fifth place team....we might as well get rid of the conferences then...the regular season would be as meaningless as an NHL regular season then.....

That would absolutely ruin College football....
So you honestly believe that right now TN is the best team in the East??
Randy