Is there a slither of hope....

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
This system "could" allow 4 ..even 5 SEC teams to make the BCS bowls. Can't even rule out 6 SEC teams, since they don't knock each other out with a conference Championship. This year, you could argue that GA and LSU should have played for the title. My way...they can.
That is exactly the problem with this....LSU has already proven they are the best team in the SEC, they did that in Atlanta....TN has already proven that they were the best team in the East, they obliterated Georgia in the regular season....

Why should LSU have to prove yet again that it is better than the rest of its own conference...that is preposterous to have a system that would allow a second place team from a conference in, much less a third, fourth or fifth place team....we might as well get rid of the conferences then...the regular season would be as meaningless as an NHL regular season then.....

That would absolutely ruin College football....
Then CROWN Arkansas National Champions, because they have already proven they are better than LSU, based on your argument. The end.

But it's not the end, because if they can't prove it again, it isn't true. Why have a conference Championship game between say...Florida and LSU..if they already played in the regular season...why have to Prove that the winner is better than the loser of the regular season game? Just declare the regular season winner the Conference champs!
Why play MSU twice in Basketball...and then possibly face them in the SEC Tourney...and then possibly the Elite 8 or Final 4?
done

rebelliousb wrote:
Then CROWN Arkansas National Champions, because they have already proven they are better than LSU, based on your argument. The end.

But it's not the end, because if they can't prove it again, it isn't true. Why have a conference Championship game between say...Florida and LSU..if they already played in the regular season...why have to Prove that the winner is better than the loser of the regular season game? Just declare the regular season winner the Conference champs!
Why play MSU twice in Basketball...and then possibly face them in the SEC Tourney...and then possibly the Elite 8 or Final 4?
You are actually making my argument for me right there....ONE GAME does not make a champion...how you do over the entire season does...LSU didn't prove they were the best in the SEC in one game they proved it over 13 games...in your system, Arkansas may have actually had a shot at the NC this year...just as the Giants have a shot at getting to the Super Bowl even though Dallas proved by any standard of measure that they have been the better team for the entire season...as much as I pull for Eli, it will be a miscarriage of justice when they beat Dallas on Sunday and knock them out of the playoffs... it has indeed watered down the potential championship in a system that made the final week of the NFL season the most boring, fraudulent and meaningless weekend of football possibly in the history of football..under your system there would be as little differentiation between college conferences as there is between divisions in the NFL....

Thanks for making my own point more convincingly than I did 8)
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:

You are actually making my argument for me right there....ONE GAME does not make a champion...how you do over the entire season does...LSU didn't prove they were the best in the SEC in one game they proved it over 13 games...in your system, Arkansas may have actually had a shot at the NC this year...just as the Giants have a shot at getting to the Super Bowl even though Dallas proved by any standard of measure that they have been the better team for the entire season...as much as I pull for Eli, it will be a miscarriage of justice when they beat Dallas on Sunday and knock them out of the playoffs... it has indeed watered down the potential championship in a system that made the final week of the NFL season the most boring, fraudulent and meaningless weekend of football possibly in the history of football..under your system there would be as little differentiation between college conferences as there is between divisions in the NFL....

If one game does not make a champion...how can you say that LSU should Not have to prove themselves against another SEC team...since they've won the SEC Championship game? You're the one doing double talk. The way I see it...if Dallas loses this week...why the hell would I want to watch those guys in the Super Bowl? My way is almost the ONLY way two SEC teams ever play for the NC.

Anyone else wanta way in?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:

If one game does not make a champion...how can you say that LSU should Not have to prove themselves against another SEC team...since they've won the SEC Championship game? You're the one doing double talk. The way I see it...if Dallas loses this week...why the hell would I want to watch those guys in the Super Bowl? My way is almost the ONLY way two SEC teams ever play for the NC.

I think we should go to a bidding system.

Play the season the way we do currently, with BCS bowls, sub-par bowls and everything.... Then, once the BCS champ is determined, any team that WON their bowl that year, from the Rose Bowl on down to the Toilet Bowl, get's to pony up to play the Champ. Who ever bids the most (and that team can looby the other schools in it's conference to help), get's the shot. The winner is the undisputed champ of USA College Football. :lol: :thumb:
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
rebelliousb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote: You are actually making my argument for me right there....ONE GAME does not make a champion...how you do over the entire season does...LSU didn't prove they were the best in the SEC in one game they proved it over 13 games...in your system, Arkansas may have actually had a shot at the NC this year...just as the Giants have a shot at getting to the Super Bowl even though Dallas proved by any standard of measure that they have been the better team for the entire season...as much as I pull for Eli, it will be a miscarriage of justice when they beat Dallas on Sunday and knock them out of the playoffs... it has indeed watered down the potential championship in a system that made the final week of the NFL season the most boring, fraudulent and meaningless weekend of football possibly in the history of football..under your system there would be as little differentiation between college conferences as there is between divisions in the NFL....

I think we should go to a bidding system.

Play the season the way we do currently, with BCS bowls, sub-par bowls and everything.... Then, once the BCS champ is determined, any team that WON their bowl that year, from the Rose Bowl on down to the Toilet Bowl, get's to pony up to play the Champ. Who ever bids the most (and that team can looby the other schools in it's conference to help), get's the shot. The winner is the undisputed champ of USA College Football. :lol: :thumb:
ROFLOL

Don't say this plan too loud. It's all about the money. If the right people hear you say this, this will happen. 8O
GO REBELS!!!
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

It's all about the money? Create more revenue.

Same bowl games, difference is BCS bowl teams play for a seed, with more respective teams playing in one of the solid bowls (rose, sugar, etc) for a higher seed. Then the Rose bowl can't say they're not important, etc. Losers go home, winners go into a playoff scenario. The bowl system is basically deciding who makes the playoffs. The companies still make the money, and THEY can pony up for the right to sponsor the final.

It would take the season into February. Only downside.
done

mpzreb17 wrote:It's all about the money? Create more revenue.

Same bowl games, difference is BCS bowl teams play for a seed, with more respective teams playing in one of the solid bowls (rose, sugar, etc) for a higher seed. Then the Rose bowl can't say they're not important, etc. Losers go home, winners go into a playoff scenario. The bowl system is basically deciding who makes the playoffs. The companies still make the money, and THEY can pony up for the right to sponsor the final.

Then the bowls become a glorified NIT. The "playoff" field will increase every year and get watered down (just like it did in Basketball) and the bowls will truly be the equivalent of the NIT and ultimately die.....

You can already see it with the "championship" game that they have now. The BCS bowls have lost some of their luster, not just because they have bad matchups, but because of the additional game, they are having to let weaker teams in the four BCS bowls.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:
mpzreb17 wrote:It's all about the money? Create more revenue.

Then the bowls become a glorified NIT. The "playoff" field will increase every year and get watered down (just like it did in Basketball) and the bowls will truly be the equivalent of the NIT and ultimately die.....

You can already see it with the "championship" game that they have now. The BCS bowls have lost some of their luster, not just because they have bad matchups, but because of the additional game, they are having to let weaker teams in the four BCS bowls.
IMO, we've already made all but the BCS bowls a glorified NIT system only without a "NIT" champ. Think about it. Most teams' fans take the attitude of "So we got to a bowl. Big deal! We want a BCS bowl!" Who's going to remember that MSU played UCF in the Liberty Bowl in 3 months? MSU and UCF fans and that's pretty much it. Who's going to remember that WVU beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl in 3 months? Most of the country. It's like if you didn't get into a BCS bowl, you really don't matter. At least that's my perception of it.
GO REBELS!!!