Kent Austin

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

1OLEMISSREBEL
All American
All American

found this interesting: from the om spirit page

Kent Austin will interview for the Rebel offensive coordinator post tomorrow. Austin, a former Ole Miss QB, is now the head coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the CFL
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think Kent would be a great hire, I just wish they would bring Tillman with him.
Randy
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

You beat me to the punch. I just saw that. I don't have a Spirit sub. but here's the front page. I'd like to get him.

http://mississippi.scout.com/

Would be pretty cool, and we need someone to help develope QB's.
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Eric Tillman has said publically that he loves Ole Miss, but would match any offer that they made. Here's the kicker, though. In the CFL, coaches' salaries are considered part of the salary cap. The current cap is roughly $4 million dollars. The roster limit is 75 and the league minimum is $39,000. That means that each team starts the year at $2,950,000. That does not count coaches and big time players. They were $600,000 dollars over the cap last year, which cost them almost $1,000,000. Hmmmm?

He is referred to by the Canadian sports press as "the firey former Quarterback" and is apparently a hallowed guy up there. Won the Grey Cup in his first year as a head coach.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

USCrebel wrote:Eric Tillman has said publically that he loves Ole Miss, but would match any offer that they made. Here's the kicker, though. In the CFL, coaches' salaries are considered part of the salary cap. The current cap is roughly $4 million dollars. The roster limit is 75 and the league minimum is $39,000. That means that each team starts the year at $2,950,000. That does not count coaches and big time players. They were $600,000 dollars over the cap last year, which cost them almost $1,000,000. Hmmmm?

He is referred to by the Canadian sports press as "the firey former Quarterback" and is apparently a hallowed guy up there. Won the Grey Cup in his first year as a head coach.
$4,000,000 now THAT's a salary cap, plus includes coaches salaries, wow. May be hard to turn down, seems like being a Coordinator in the SEC would outweigh coaching in Canada. Even a Head Coaching position. Honestly, I'd just like to see him back on our sidelines. With Nutt's running O combined with some of Austin's passing O may be a good match.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

IMO the fact that he is interviewing shows that he has significant interest in the job, an interest that may outweigh monetary gain.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Redbluedude wrote: $4,000,000 now THAT's a salary cap, plus includes coaches salaries, wow. May be hard to turn down, seems like being a Coordinator in the SEC would outweigh coaching in Canada. Even a Head Coaching position. Honestly, I'd just like to see him back on our sidelines. With Nutt's running O combined with some of Austin's passing O may be a good match.
Agreed, I believe I read somewhere that Austin was wanting to eventually get a College HC'ing job. If this is true, this would be a great start.

Also as a side note, the article stated that even though Austin tends to spread the field, his team also led the CFB in rushing. Sounds like a fit to me!
Randy
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

rewalters wrote:
Redbluedude wrote: $4,000,000 now THAT's a salary cap, plus includes coaches salaries, wow. May be hard to turn down, seems like being a Coordinator in the SEC would outweigh coaching in Canada. Even a Head Coaching position. Honestly, I'd just like to see him back on our sidelines. With Nutt's running O combined with some of Austin's passing O may be a good match.
Agreed, I believe I read somewhere that Austin was wanting to eventually get a College HC'ing job. If this is true, this would be a great start.

Also as a side note, the article stated that even though Austin tends to spread the field, his team also led the CFB in rushing. Sounds like a fit to me!
Is it just me or what, but I think hiring this guy might set in motion a future hire as Ole Miss HC when and if Nutt were to leave? It is always nice to have a backup plan in your hip pocket.
OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

This hire makes all the sense in the World and I hope that the Admin get's it done.

This is just me, I know, but this news erases all the sting of David Lee not coming.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

OMNOB wrote:This hire makes all the sense in the World and I hope that the Admin get's it done.

This is just me, I know, but this news erases all the sting of David Lee not coming.
here is something that I don't understand and maybe someone here can explain it to me...

Coach Nutt is considered an Offensive minded coach... Markuson was reportedly the running game coach at Ark. which would have made him Co-OC with Nutt, Now some folks are saying that Lee was the OC at arkansas and that he is leaving and we need to hire another OC to replace him... the way I see it is this... Lee might have been the QB coach but other than that I don't actually see that we lost a lot when he went to the Dolphins... am I missing something??
Later,
Hagar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:
OMNOB wrote:This hire makes all the sense in the World and I hope that the Admin get's it done.

here is something that I don't understand and maybe someone here can explain it to me...

Coach Nutt is considered an Offensive minded coach... Markuson was reportedly the running game coach at Ark. which would have made him Co-OC with Nutt, Now some folks are saying that Lee was the OC at arkansas and that he is leaving and we need to hire another OC to replace him... the way I see it is this... Lee might have been the QB coach but other than that I don't actually see that we lost a lot when he went to the Dolphins... am I missing something??
I think a lot of it has to do with thought that Romo gives a lot of credit to Lee for his development. Whether true or not, people hear this and automatically think he's a great coach. And maybe he is, I don't know.

Do I think we need to replace him? Yes, we need to get a qb coach or OC in here. Do I think it was a huge loss? No.
Some Random Dude
Deadman
Scout Team
Scout Team

I know a couple of AR fans that did not like Lee before Nutt came to Ole Miss so they don’t think we lost much. I also work with a guy that played with Chris Vaughn under Hutt at Murray State and he does not think we are loosing much either.
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Deadman wrote:I know a couple of AR fans that did not like Lee before Nutt came to Ole Miss so they don’t think we lost much. I also work with a guy that played with Chris Vaughn under Hutt at Murray State and he does not think we are loosing much either.

Huh???? Vaughn is staying.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
Deadman
Scout Team
Scout Team

Sorry, he does not believe we are loosing much with Lee leaving. He said Vaughn is good for the program.

Sorry for the confusion.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Deadman wrote:Sorry, he does not believe we are loosing much with Lee leaving. He said Vaughn is good for the program.

Sorry for the confusion.
So in other words he is well connected and in his opinion the consensus is that Lee was basically good at breaking down tape and coaching QBs but was no world beater OC.