Kent Austin

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RebelBond
Scout Team
Scout Team

I am mixed on Austin. We are not a Canadian Team, he has no current ties to high school coaches for recruiting so I am mixed. I know he knows x's and o's but can he do it on the college level?

RebelBond
www.bigfoamyhead.com

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.
- Paul Dickson
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

Think Austin will be a SUPER addition to this Rebel Staff....Fresh X & O's will be needed.....Sure hope it is a done deal...We have dodged a bullet with Lee....8-4 in 08...Hotty Toddy
RiderNation
Water Boy
Water Boy

Hi All, has anyone heard how the interview went. I am a huge fan of Coach Austin's current team and we really do not want to lose him. Coach Austin has been on the with the riders twice, once in 1989(quarterback) and 2007(coach), both times he has taken the team to a national championship. Whatever his decision we wish him well.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Actually heard the interview went great and that he is the front runner for the position.
03rebs

The Clarion-Ledger is reported the hire.

Link
Forward Rebels!
mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

RiderNation wrote:Hi All, has anyone heard how the interview went. I am a huge fan of Coach Austin's current team and we really do not want to lose him. Coach Austin has been on the with the riders twice, once in 1989(quarterback) and 2007(coach), both times he has taken the team to a national championship. Whatever his decision we wish him well.
Since you're Canadian maybe you can help us..

While we all apologize for your loss, you have a little more knowledge about the man's coaching style. Should we, the people who enjoy the game of football with a smaller field and uprights in the back of the endzone be excited or has he had inconsistencies while managing to win titles (ie les miles)?
RiderNation
Water Boy
Water Boy

Without question, be excited, as a head coach he turned a medicore team into a champion in one season. He is very well liked by the players he coaches, he is very passionate about the game, he expects 100 percent effort from his players 100 percent of the time. My only (minor) concern would be how well and how fast he makes the transition from the Canadian game to the American Game, but given the man's level of intelligence this shouldn't be a problem.
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

RiderNation wrote:Without question, be excited, as a head coach he turned a medicore team into a champion in one season. He is very well liked by the players he coaches, he is very passionate about the game, he expects 100 percent effort from his players 100 percent of the time. My only (minor) concern would be how well and how fast he makes the transition from the Canadian game to the American Game, but given the man's level of intelligence this shouldn't be a problem.
He has also played our brand of football his whole life. I promise you that the real difficultly is going the other way, from USA to CFL rules. Believe me if you can get 10 yards is 3 downs then have 4 to do the same should not be a problem.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

In terms of transition, I believe a huge bonus is Nutt and Markuson, who are an effective offensive duo in their own right. With Markuson's input in the running game and Austin's input in the air attack, with Nutt making the big calls, this could turn into a very effective offense.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

olemsdave76 wrote:In terms of transition, I believe a huge bonus is Nutt and Markuson, who are an effective offensive duo in their own right. With Markuson's input in the running game and Austin's input in the air attack, with Nutt making the big calls, this could turn into a very effective offense.
You bring up an interesting point. If you think about it, the fact that Nutt and Markuson are so competent, it would take a high quality OC to truly grab the rains of the offense. I am not saying Nutt is not a good offensive mind but Austin has shown his skill as an OC at the pro level granted it is the CFL. I still would argue that Austin as an OC and HC in the CFL, as a Grey Cup champ at every level, is going to have at least as good or better leadership of the offense as Nutt would if he were his own OC like Spurrier. Nutt can sit back and focus on big picture issues. Markuson can focus on coaching RBs and Austin can coach the QBs and put together the offensive game plan and make adjustments in the game. Nutt will sell the ideas that Austin puts forward and keep motivating throughout which is truly what he does better than anyone.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeloke wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:In terms of transition, I believe a huge bonus is Nutt and Markuson, who are an effective offensive duo in their own right. With Markuson's input in the running game and Austin's input in the air attack, with Nutt making the big calls, this could turn into a very effective offense.
You bring up an interesting point. If you think about it, the fact that Nutt and Markuson are so competent, it would take a high quality OC to truly grab the rains of the offense. I am not saying Nutt is not a good offensive mind but Austin has shown his skill as an OC at the pro level granted it is the CFL. I still would argue that Austin as an OC and HC in the CFL, as a Grey Cup champ at every level, is going to have at least as good or better leadership of the offense as Nutt would if he were his own OC like Spurrier. Nutt can sit back and focus on big picture issues. Markuson can focus on coaching RBs and Austin can coach the QBs and put together the offensive game plan and make adjustments in the game. Nutt will sell the ideas that Austin puts forward and keep motivating throughout which is truly what he does better than anyone.
KA will not now or ever be the OC under Nutt...he will be a QB coach only. Wait and see. Same as David Lee.
Later,
Hagar
rebeloke
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Hagar wrote:
rebeloke wrote:
KA will not now or ever be the OC under Nutt...he will be a QB coach only. Wait and see. Same as David Lee.
That would be tragic... Austin has shown himself to be a brilliant OC, I dare say better than Nutt could be. In my book David Lee is a myth... Austin is a proven leader at every level.