Oher and Snead press conference

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

mpzreb17
All SEC
All SEC

Ole Miss Rebels Jevan Snead, a rising sophomore quarterback, and Michael Oher, a rising senior offensive lineman, visited with members of the media Thursday.

Jevan Snead

On the offseason:
"It's going great. I have been rehabbing throughout the break. I've been working hard. I'm getting close to 100 percent. I'm already running a little bit. I just need to get in better condition."

On newly hired offensive coordinator Kent Austin:
"I haven't had any contact with him yet, but I am looking forward to talking to Coach Austin. I can't wait to pick his mind and see what we are going to do."

On the style of offense the team plans to run:
"Coach (Houston) Nutt said that we will run a pro-style offense, but he is not afraid to spread it out and wing it. We're going to go deep. That's great for me because that is what I'm use to. I'm very excited."

On the hiring of Houston Nutt as head coach:
"I didn't know what to think at first. After talking to them, I realized that the reason they ran the ball so much was due to having great running backs. We have some great running backs as well, so I'm very excited. We will get our running game going, which will open up the passing game."

On his communication with Coach Nutt thus far:
"I've sat down with him four or five times. He seems like a great guy. With the contact I have had with him, he seems like a great guy and a great coach."

On the rumors that he was considering transferring:
"I was never going to go anywhere. This is my team. Oxford is my home now. I'm glad our coach is Houston Nutt. I'm excited about it. I'm ready to play for him."

On last season:
"It was harder than I expected. It was really tough watching my team and not being able to help them. I have never experienced that in my career. It was tough. I was given the chance to go through practice and I think my reads have gotten a lot better. I was just trying to give the defense the best look. I think it helped with my reads and my quickness."

On Michael Oher returning to school:
"Not having to worry about not getting killed is the best thing. It gives you a lot of confidence back there knowing you have time to throw."

On the team meeting Tuesday:
"It went great. They just introduced everybody and told us what it was going to be about. We are going to practice like champions and be champions. It was a great atmosphere."

On how he feels he stacks up against other quarterbacks in the conference:
"I really haven't done anything to prove myself yet. But I feel that once I get out on the field, I will be able to play with the best of them. That's what I'm looking forward to. That's what my goal is. There are some great quarterbacks in this league and I'm excited to get to play with them."

Michael Oher

On his decision to return to school:
"From Monday to Wednesday, I was out of here. Patrick Willis gave me a call, and I talked to him a little bit. I just started thinking, and I felt it was the right thing to do; to come back and give it another shot."

On his conversation with Patrick Willis:
"He just told me that I would be alright. He said if I was to come out, I would be one of the best out there. But if I was to come back, that I would have a chance to go a lot higher. He felt I could possibly be a top five or 10 selection next year. He was a good guy to talk to. I think he would have been a high draft choice his junior year, but he was hurt that year. He was a good voice to hear. Everyday I was to the NFL, until one day. "

On what led to the decision:
"I talked it over with my Dad, and it was whatever I wanted to do. I wanted to come back with my teammates and give it another shot with them."

On what he feels he needs to improve on:
"I think I need to get stronger and work on my technique. I was working out in Nashville with Peyton Hillis and Marcus Monk and they were telling me how good of a coach (Mike) Markuson was. They were talking him up. I'm looking forward to playing for him."

On the expectations for next year:
"It's very important to come back and win games, because I haven't had that before. I look forward to it. I think we have a good group of guys and we can get the job done with a good coach. I haven't given the fans what they wanted. It's kind of dissapointing to let the fans down. When we win, we can walk around with our head held high."

On the reaction from the community:
"All my teammates are happy I'm back. Tony Fein chased me down walking to class and gave me a hug. Everybody has been patting me on the back. Everybody I have seen on campus seem happy to see me back."

On Coach Nutt's influence on his decision:
"I heard from him about two or three times a day probably. He's a good guy and I like him a lot already."

On what it felt like to get back to Oxford:
"When I touched back down in Oxford, I just felt good and comfortable like I was back at home. It felt good to sleep in my bed again."

On training in Nashville:
"The training helped me out a lot. I got my running down and I'm faster. I found out where I'm at and what I need to work on to do it again next year. The guys I worked out with were shocked I came back. They told me to do what is best for me. They told me I would be good either way."
done

mpzreb17 wrote:
I think we have a good group of guys and we can get the job done with a good coach.
That is quite a telling quote....