Harsh words

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

'SEC folks love to talk about the depth of their conference, and there is depth -- at the top. But out here in reality world, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Mississippi State and, yes, Alabama look just like about 50 other BCS teams lumbering around the bloated middle of college football. That group reminds me of the bottom half of the Pac-10, which is where each would finish if it came out West. Wait. Have Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi State done that over the past decade?'

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-1-10 ... rning.html

I think the Bear just crawled out of his grave.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

Reads pretty much true.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

bleuwolfe wrote:'SEC folks love to talk about the depth of their conference, and there is depth -- at the top. But out here in reality world, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Mississippi State and, yes, Alabama look just like about 50 other BCS teams lumbering around the bloated middle of college football. That group reminds me of the bottom half of the Pac-10, which is where each would finish if it came out West. Wait. Have Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi State done that over the past decade?'

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-1-10 ... rning.html

I think the Bear just crawled out of his grave.
That guy is paid to pimp the Pac-10, of course he's going to say things like that. Also, using the whole "State lost to Oregon and Arkansas lost to USC" line doesn't hold much water. The best of one conference should beat the middle to bottom of another conference. That's college football for ya.

Here's the argument that shuts them all up: more former SEC players are in the NFL than any other conference.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

You can always tell when someone from the Big or Pac conferences comes around... they love to throw stones at SEC ball. My dad, the Sooner, does that, too... but you gotta love players like Eli, Peyton, Deuce, Donte Stallworth, Jamarcus Russell, David Pollock (a personal favorite of mine), P-Willie, and lets not forget the classics like Jim Dunaway, Joe Namath, Archie, and Bo - he knows football (and many more - too many to name) out there representing SEC ball.

Liked this article (even if it does come from LSU's rag): http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/ ... 8838.shtml

Also may want to check this out (a super-duper reference I pull out every time my dad starts up): http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&c ... le_id=5807
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
RebelFIL
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I was listening to a national radio show with Arnie Spaniard last August. He was touting the Pac-10 as superior to the SEC. SEC callers would attempt to argue with him, but Arnie's responses only included comparisons of USC to the middle-to-lower echelon SEC teams. He would not discuss any other Pac-10 team, and he refused to discuss the upper-tier SEC. To him the Pac-10 was 10 USCs and no one else. Over and over he said, 'the SEC looked real good last year when we beat the pants off of Arkansas and then stole their players'.

The SEC was 7-3 in bowl games (10 teams!). The Pac-10 was 4-2 (very respectful). Honestly though, the 2 losers were UCLA and ASU who had no business in bowl games, so the top of the Pac-10 was quite good. Dennis Dixon was quite good too, even though the rest of his Oregon team wasn't.

I just wish I was sitting next to Arnie during the National Championship game, watching LSU (of the weak SEC!) lift up the trophy - after USC simply beat up on an overachieving Illinois team in the Rose bowl. Remember, Illinois was only #2 in the Big Ten, because OSU was playing in the National Championship!
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

RebelConvert wrote:You can always tell when someone from the Big or Pac conferences comes around... they love to throw stones at SEC ball. My dad, the Sooner, does that, too... but you gotta love players like Eli, Peyton, Deuce, Donte Stallworth, Jamarcus Russell, David Pollock (a personal favorite of mine), P-Willie, and lets not forget the classics like Jim Dunaway, Joe Namath, Archie, and Bo - he knows football (and many more - too many to name) out there representing SEC ball.

Liked this article (even if it does come from LSU's rag): http://media.www.lsureveille.com/media/ ... 8838.shtml

Also may want to check this out (a super-duper reference I pull out every time my dad starts up): http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&c ... le_id=5807
I can't remember where i was reading, either espn or SI, that its not just starters, but players on active rosters in the NFL. No other conference could come close to what the sec has.

And my personal favorite a couple years ago. Sports writers, fans, coaches, etc. went on and on about how OSU and Michigan should have a rematch for a championship because both teams played in a "superior conference", and the game the two played at the end of the year was too close to go by. Both teams were ANNIHILATED in their bowl games. I LOVED it.

Just goes to show that the sportswriters, like this idiot, will always be biased to the conferences they cover without really looking at the facts.
Rule #1.......Don't panik
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Do these writers just assume that the SEC, being southern means that it's a conference full of bumpkins? I mean, that's true in like Arkansas, but Ole Miss?? No way.
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.