Top Five Changes Ole Miss Fans will see on Opening Day

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

OMNOB
2nd String
2nd String

I am excited, and that, is all I am willing to allow at this time.
"America is the New York Yankees of countries,powerful and respected until the year 2000"-Homer Simpson
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

I'll add legs in the fourth quarter. Before you degenerates, not all of you but those that are, and you know who you are, start with the jokes, hear me now, believe me later. Because of the late week 120+ play full scrimmages, our plays didn't have anything left in the tank at the end of the game. Look at our scoring, we out-score the bad guys in the first and third and we were blown out in the second and fourth.

This will be huge.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:I'll add legs in the fourth quarter. Before you degenerates, not all of you but those that are, and you know who you are, start with the jokes, hear me now, believe me later. Because of the late week 120+ play full scrimmages, our plays didn't have anything left in the tank at the end of the game. Look at our scoring, we out-score the bad guys in the first and third and we were blown out in the second and fourth.

This will be huge.
yeah, remember hearing 1 of the players - think it was Mike Wallace- say he felt like he ran in slo-mo in the 4thQ, so I believe u Parrot. Anyway hard to beat a great pair of legs :wink:
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Not only was it the scrimmages and hell (read practice) but I think Ed O really emotionalyl drained the players. Their is such a thing as over hyping people and that is what he did. He had them tired going out on the field and I am sure it was even worse after halftime.
RichmondVAReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I agree with the above posts in that I do not believe our team was out of shape last year; and if they were not out of shape, then something non-physical had to be taking a toll. It could very well have been emotional factors coming into play, especially given our losing track record over the past several years and the apparent hyper nature of Coach O.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not bashing Coach O in that comment. I still thank him for the talent he has left Coach Nutt and wish him well, and I still wonder whether he might have surprised us with the team he fielded this year. But, after all is said and done, I do find comfort in having Coach Nutt's experience and track record on the sidelines, as well as the great staff he seems to have assembled, and for his special gift of inspiration which I believe is beyond the reach of many coaches. I am excited about this year, but going from 0-8 to the top of the heap would be a phenominal task to say the least. Rather than to dump those kinds of expectations on a team and staff, I will just say that things look to be much improved for this year and should stand us in good stead come next year if we are in any way disappointed with the outcome this year.
OliverFist
Banned

What's his deal with the pants? I don't see where pants make much of a difference on the field. Don't the coaches have more to worry about (winning some conference games) than pants and names on jerseys?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

OliverFist wrote:What's his deal with the pants? I don't see where pants make much of a difference on the field. Don't the coaches have more to worry about (winning some conference games) than pants and names on jerseys?
Tradition, but I agree w/u. Also I assume a few $$$ inolved in mktg/merc deal.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

bleuwolfe wrote:
OliverFist wrote:What's his deal with the pants? I don't see where pants make much of a difference on the field. Don't the coaches have more to worry about (winning some conference games) than pants and names on jerseys?
We could win a national title in the pants we have now or then, and if they aren't the same as the "traditional" ones, someone is going lament the days when we wore those pants and want them back. If said pants, jersey, or whatever, made someone faster, smarter, meaner, a better tackler or anything remotely related to football and being better at it, I might agree with all this tradition BS. It doesn't.

If we won a lot of games year in and year out, no one would care one bit what we wore. What would you rather have, a winning football team or the "traditional" uniform with gray pants and some goofy looking stripes on the jersey? You get to choose one or the other because the two haven't co-existed very damned often, if at all, in the last 40 years.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
done

parrotreb wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:
We could win a national title in the pants we have now or then, and if they aren't the same as the "traditional" ones, someone is going lament the days when we wore those pants and want them back. If said pants, jersey, or whatever, made someone faster, smarter, meaner, a better tackler or anything remotely related to football and being better at it, I might agree with all this tradition BS. It doesn't.

If we won a lot of games year in and year out, no one would care one bit what we wore. What would you rather have, a winning football team or the "traditional" uniform with gray pants and some goofy looking stripes on the jersey? You get to choose one or the other because the two haven't co-existed very damned often, if at all, in the last 40 years.
I agree with you somewhat, but even at LSU or Florida or USC, if you started messing with their unis I bet a lot of folks would be in an uproar. And I don't care how many games we won, if our unis looked like Oregon's I would be *beep* off.
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Rebchuck18 wrote:
parrotreb wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote: Tradition, but I agree w/u. Also I assume a few $$$ inolved in mktg/merc deal.

I agree with you somewhat, but even at LSU or Florida or USC, if you started messing with their unis I bet a lot of folks would be in an uproar. And I don't care how many games we won, if our unis looked like Oregon's I would be *beep* off.
Sorry, but I don't give a tinker's dam what uniforms they wear. An Ole Miss version of the Oregon would take a moment to get used to, but if the team won, I wouldn't care.

There is an old adage in golf, if you can't play well, dress well. I would rather play well and take someone's friendly wager than look good and lose my own.
done

parrotreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
parrotreb wrote: We could win a national title in the pants we have now or then, and if they aren't the same as the "traditional" ones, someone is going lament the days when we wore those pants and want them back. If said pants, jersey, or whatever, made someone faster, smarter, meaner, a better tackler or anything remotely related to football and being better at it, I might agree with all this tradition BS. It doesn't.

Sorry, but I don't give a tinker's dam what uniforms they wear. An Ole Miss version of the Oregon would take a moment to get used to, but if the team won, I wouldn't care.

There is an old adage in golf, if you can't play well, dress well. I would rather play well and take someone's friendly wager than look good and lose my own.
Agreed, but I would rather play well AND look well...and if I am not playing well at least I won't add to my embarassment by the way I am dressed 8)
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Rebchuck18 wrote:
parrotreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote: I agree with you somewhat, but even at LSU or Florida or USC, if you started messing with their unis I bet a lot of folks would be in an uproar. And I don't care how many games we won, if our unis looked like Oregon's I would be *beep* off.

Agreed, but I would rather play well AND look well...and if I am not playing well at least I won't add to my embarassment by the way I am dressed 8)
If I am playing well, I don't care. I just hit the one iron past everyone's drives. If I am not playing well, I'll make fun of how everyone is dressed. :P
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

parrotreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:
parrotreb wrote: We could win a national title in the pants we have now or then, and if they aren't the same as the "traditional" ones, someone is going lament the days when we wore those pants and want them back. If said pants, jersey, or whatever, made someone faster, smarter, meaner, a better tackler or anything remotely related to football and being better at it, I might agree with all this tradition BS. It doesn't.

Hey, dude I like the no-name style myself, but the ONLY tradition I care about is winning. This old time honored tradition has been MIA for most of my life - caught a glimpse in 2003 (thanks Eli!) - and would love to see the 21st century version starting now. As far as unis go, don't really care that much, but I have to draw the line at the Ducks' cartoon neon bright monstrosty. 8)
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

parrotreb wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:

Hear Hear... don't make disparaging remarks about my Ducks... my second NCAA team... don't ask me why, I don't know... I just like em.
Later,
Hagar