Wow,

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Talk about being stripped from Football without a net...this has got to be hard on the kid.

OXFORD — Starting safety Johnny Brown left Monday's practice with a tender hamstring, which was apparently the aggravation of a previous injury.

Coach Houston Nutt said that Brown was racing his cousin in Atlanta for fun when he popped his hamstring.

Despite the injury, Brown thought it had healed well enough to practice on Monday. Turns out he was wrong.

"That's the only thing I hate about giving them a break," Nutt said. "They think they're fast after working all summer, they don't stretch, and then somebody pops a hamstring."

Nutt said Brown could practice soon, but will be watched closely.

Tyler done before he starts
Freshman offensive lineman Kermit Tyler is done for his career after tests in Jackson revealed he has an allergic reaction to strenuous exercise.

Tyler (6-foot-4, 335 pounds) worked out with the team during the summer, but after he had some swelling in his tongue and mouth he was taken to doctors in Oxford and Jackson for tests, which revealed the problem.

"We hate to lose him, but we may have saved his life," Nutt said. "That's what is important. We thought it was a dairy product reaction at first, but the bottom line is (after tests) in Jackson we could not clear him to play ever again."

Nutt said that athletic director Pete Boone will still honor Tyler's scholarship for the rest of his time at Ole Miss.

Jerry back in the mix
Senior right tackle John Jerry was back on the field after missing all of spring practice with an infection that required surgery.

Jerry was on the second team, behind fellow senior Maurice Miller.
Later,
Hagar
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

I really hate it for the guy.

But allergic to strenuous exercise? Thats going to be tough when he gets old and fat :) Like me, atleast the fat part :wink:
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

JoeRebel wrote:I really hate it for the guy.

But allergic to strenuous exercise? Thats going to be tough when he gets old and fat :) Like me, atleast the fat part :wink:
Sooo, this is his first experience with strenuous exercise? He IS a football player right? How does this happen?
Some Random Dude
StrongRebel
2nd String
2nd String

There are high school workouts then there are college workouts eventhough I believe my 6th grade workouts were as hard as my college, but you have to be in great shape not just good shape to go through college workouts without being exhausted.

I am sure there is more people that have this problem than just him. I think I have met some in my past.

Rufus French had a small lung capicity supposedly I thought he was just in average shape. I think that comment by the coaching staff might have kept him from getting drafted. He also was a very poor blocker.
maroby001
Scout Team
Scout Team

You know I believe that we all hate it for him. i'm just glad that he's alright and I am thankful that the University still honored his Scholarship. To me that say's a lot about the School right there. I'm happy he'll still be able to assist the team this year though.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while, and you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
parrotreb
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter
Location: Got a Caribbean soul I can barely control and some Texas hidden here in my heart.

maroby001 wrote:

You know I believe that we all hate it for him. i'm just glad that he's alright and I am thankful that the University still honored his Scholarship. To me that say's a lot about the School right there. I'm happy he'll still be able to assist the team this year though.
Good decision to put him on scholarship and while it does speak greatly to truly honorable steps by OM, it also says a lot about wanting to recruit his brother.
You've just got to learn from the wrong things you've done. I came off the rebound, started looking around, figured out it's time to have a little fun.
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

We're going to have to go after extra OL's this year. Those guys are a hot commodity, many of the higher graded OL's have already committed to schools.
cajunrebel

lewindha wrote:

Sooo, this is his first experience with strenuous exercise? He IS a football player right? How does this happen?
The other example I can think of that didn't pop up until college after playing in high school was Cooper Manning. A physical showed that he had some spinal thingy and could not play any more after playing high school ball at Newman.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

cajunrebel wrote:
lewindha wrote:

The other example I can think of that didn't pop up until college after playing in high school was Cooper Manning. A physical showed that he had some spinal thingy and could not play any more after playing high school ball at Newman.
That is right... I forgot about that...Cooper had a spinal stenosis... a narrowing of the spinal cord opening in the vertebra of the cervical spine.
Later,
Hagar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:
cajunrebel wrote:
lewindha wrote: Sooo, this is his first experience with strenuous exercise? He IS a football player right? How does this happen?
That is right... I forgot about that...Cooper had a spinal stenosis... a narrowing of the spinal cord opening in the vertebra of the cervical spine.
THAT I can see slipping past the so-called physicals you receive in high school. But being allergic to strenuous exercise? And you're a football player? How does one miss that?
Some Random Dude
cajunrebel

lewindha wrote:
Hagar wrote:
cajunrebel wrote: The other example I can think of that didn't pop up until college after playing in high school was Cooper Manning. A physical showed that he had some spinal thingy and could not play any more after playing high school ball at Newman.
THAT I can see slipping past the so-called physicals you receive in high school. But being allergic to strenuous exercise? And you're a football player? How does one miss that?
Didn't somebody tell you?!? He played touch football in HS. . . :P
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
------------------

I have the same allergic reaction to strenuous exercise.

A bowl of ice cream and a nap usually clears it right up.

:crazy:
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sasquatch wrote:I have the same allergic reaction to strenuous exercise.

A bowl of ice cream and a nap usually clears it right up.

:crazy:
yeah and a HUGE dagwood sandwich with fresh tomato and lettuce every once and a while usually keeps it away... at least it has a big therapeutic effect.
Later,
Hagar
JoeRebel
3rd String
3rd String

parrotreb wrote:
maroby001 wrote:

Good decision to put him on scholarship and while it does speak greatly to truly honorable steps by OM, it also says a lot about wanting to recruit his brother.
That and he will prolly graduate and we need that number about as bad as we need roster numbers right now.
"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
Ronald Reagan