stanley coming along quick

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

olemsdave76 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote: Stanley is not better than Tapp at this moment, and Tapp knows the play-book maybe better than Snead, but doesn't have the physical tools, so yes, you can redshirt him and let Tapp handle mop up duty, if there is any.
If Jevan goes down, we need a qb who can manage the game and help win it. Can Tapp do that? From what I've heard, no. Don't think we have the luxury to rs a quality player at a position which is paper thin. If all we had to worry about was mop up, then sit him until 09, unfortunately that's not the case now. Remember how skinny Peyton was when he was pulled from the bench to start hes freshman year? I hope Jevan stays healthy and its a moot point, but knowing our recent history with injuries, we need to have our best players available to play if needed. I want to win some games this year, not hoard players for a possible run in the future. The future is now dudes.
I am not worried about Stanley's size, but from watching him last week at practice, he doesn't have the grasp of the playbook that I feel is needed to be an adequate backup. I would prefer to have a backup who completely understands what we are tring to do but may have physical inadequacies than someone who has slightly better physical attributes but not the head to lead at this moment.
And to compare Nathan Stanley to Peyton Manning, even as a true freshman, is ridiculous; that guy had a football IQ as a high school QB higher than 90% of college senior QBs.
Peyton didn't have good mechanics as a freshman and remember those "Happy" feet...I tell you what just forget it...I won't ever convince you that Nathan Stanley has more physical tools at his disposal as a freshman than Eli or Peyton either one.
Later,
Hagar
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

Hagar wrote:
olemsdave76 wrote:
bleuwolfe wrote: If Jevan goes down, we need a qb who can manage the game and help win it. Can Tapp do that? From what I've heard, no. Don't think we have the luxury to rs a quality player at a position which is paper thin. If all we had to worry about was mop up, then sit him until 09, unfortunately that's not the case now. Remember how skinny Peyton was when he was pulled from the bench to start hes freshman year? I hope Jevan stays healthy and its a moot point, but knowing our recent history with injuries, we need to have our best players available to play if needed. I want to win some games this year, not hoard players for a possible run in the future. The future is now dudes.
I am not worried about Stanley's size, but from watching him last week at practice, he doesn't have the grasp of the playbook that I feel is needed to be an adequate backup. I would prefer to have a backup who completely understands what we are tring to do but may have physical inadequacies than someone who has slightly better physical attributes but not the head to lead at this moment.
And to compare Nathan Stanley to Peyton Manning, even as a true freshman, is ridiculous; that guy had a football IQ as a high school QB higher than 90% of college senior QBs.
Peyton didn't have good mechanics as a freshman and remember those "Happy" feet...I tell you what just forget it...I won't ever convince you that Nathan Stanley has more physical tools at his disposal as a freshman than Eli or Peyton either one.
I have never even said that Stanley isn't phsically gifted. I have just said that to burn his redshirt would be a waste at this time. if Snead goes down, then yeah, that changes things, but right now Tapp is better equipped mentally to be the back-up and fill-in guy.
as to whether he is better at this stage then Peyton or Eli was, or if he is better than Tapp, that is a matter of opinion.
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'