can the offense compensate our defense

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

anachrist06
Water Boy
Water Boy

with the loss of Jerry, Hardy, and Laurent our defensive line is all but eviserated. don't get me wrong, i think we will still have a decent defensive line, but the super defensive line that we had before was what was going to bail the rest of our lacking defense out. Where a secondary can not compensate a poor defensive line and good defensive line can compensate a poor secondary (espically against Memphis, Wake Forrest and Vanderbilt). The hopes for a seven win season now fall primarily in the hands of our offense. Our offense on paper is well above average in my opinion. the recieving core has proven capabilities. the offensive line is also strong. nevertheless, the positions playmakers typically occupy are largely unproven. Jevan Snead in my opinion is good but overated and the rungame has vast potential talent but is unproven and unexperienced. It's anyone's guess as to where that will be. Does anyone think that with Nutt's coaching talents the offense will be able to overcome a weak defense? will they be high octane enough to win 7 games and will the defense be able to hold the flood gates enough for the offense to win 7 games? i don't think we have a shot at Alabama any more. Florida, Auburn, LSU and Wake Forrest are out of the question now. who will we beat and how? any opinions or ideas to what I wrote? I welcome critism
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

anachrist06 wrote:with the loss of Jerry, Hardy, and Laurent our defensive line is all but eviserated. don't get me wrong, i think we will still have a decent defensive line, but the super defensive line that we had before was what was going to bail the rest of our lacking defense out. Where a secondary can not compensate a poor defensive line and good defensive line can compensate a poor secondary (espically against Memphis, Wake Forrest and Vanderbilt). The hopes for a seven win season now fall primarily in the hands of our offense. Our offense on paper is well above average in my opinion. the recieving core has proven capabilities. the offensive line is also strong. nevertheless, the positions playmakers typically occupy are largely unproven. Jevan Snead in my opinion is good but overated and the rungame has vast potential talent but is unproven and unexperienced. It's anyone's guess as to where that will be. Does anyone think that with Nutt's coaching talents the offense will be able to overcome a weak defense? will they be high octane enough to win 7 games and will the defense be able to hold the flood gates enough for the offense to win 7 games? i don't think we have a shot at Alabama any more. Florida, Auburn, LSU and Wake Forrest are out of the question now. who will we beat and how? any opinions or ideas to what I wrote? I welcome critism
I don't know how youi consider our D line eviserated for the whole year... Hardy will be out less than 3 weeks by the time the season rolls around Laurent is already back in pads and practiced today and Peria will be out no more than 3 weeks into the season as well. Even with these guys out for the first 2 weeks of the season we won't need any of them to fill their spots because the first game we play Memphis and we won't need them because without them we will and should win easily... by that I mean we will cover the point spread even without the players you speak of...then against Wake Forest's spread offense we will need 6 Db's because no defensive linemen in the country can even get to the QB when they line up 9 yds deep in the backfield and throw before the pressure can be put on. The D line won't be effective anyway against WF. By the next week we will surely have some or a couple of our walking wounded back for the Vandy Game...If we do then we will win again, because we will then be 2-0 and that will carry us thru the vandy game.... The real test for this year is gonna be WF... If our Db's can be effective in that game will be okay...D linemen won't be what we need in that game to stay in it. That game will ride on our DB's and Lb's...I can tell your either a fan of another school or a fan who isn't very knowledgable about the Ole Miss Football players and their injuries...after a few more postings from you I will know the difference...I would hate to ban you outright on your one post and I would hate to belittle you if you were truly a short sighted fan...I eagerly hope you will post some more so that I can determine your stance. I am betting on the former being the case right now. It will be easier for me to apologize for attacking an ill informed fan than banning a fan of another school coming over to start some junk. Please prove me wrong.
Later,
Hagar
badmotorfinger
All American
All American

Yeah this person writes ok but I don't think he/she can read very well (practice reports in newspapers, injury reports, POSTS ON THIS SITE, internet sports sites, etc.)
Rule #1.......Don't panik
BigTrev34
All SEC
All SEC

Snead overrated. he hasnt played a down of football in the SEC. You cant make the assumpotion that he overrated yet. Im not gonna say that can be right or wrong, but you have no idea. Speaking on WF, I havent really seen them play since the L-Ville bowl game. They didnt have an offense tha blew you away and had no playmakers on offense. Their d was good, but their LB Jon Abbate held them together and did everything. I dont know what to expect from WF this yr bc I cant say. I will say that we can play with LSU and Fla and Bama bc we did last year. And with a great playcaller on offense and this great attitude everyone has I can see a big game like that turning our way.
anachrist06
Water Boy
Water Boy

unless you have some very insider information with Hardy's doctors or someone close to the coaching staff to say that Hardy "will be out less than 3 weeks by the time the season rolls around" is dangerously optomistic. that would be the bear bear minimum of his recooperation. if one was to instead put his return somewhere in the middle of the estimated recovery Hardy will not be with us until the South Carolina game. (again i am not saying thats whats going to happen, but i do think it is highly unlikely that he will be back for the Vandy or Samford games if thats what you mean "out less than 3 weeks") another thing is that you never know how an athlete is going to bounce back from an injury. theres a reasonable chance that it will take a couple of games before Hardy, Jerry, or Laurent are playing to thier expected abilities. on that note the offensive line that has been projected as one on the best in the SEC and if not the country has been eviserated for atleast the first 1/3 of the season. as for snead, i see people talking and writing about him as if hes the next Eli Manning. hes only a sophmore, he hasn't started more than a couple games (lost some of those) since he was in high school and hasn't played period for the last year. to expect him to put up numbers like Eli did next year is absurd. i'm not saying he's bad. he'll be better than all the fools and walkons we've had since Eli. you can expect him to make seven or more completions a game and have no more than 1 interception every other game and maybe by the time hes a senior he will rival Eli. but i've heard him labeled "the savior of Ole Miss football" which for this year is extreme. in that respect Snead is overrated. i hope you're right that we won't even need our superior defensive line against Memphis, but your talking about a team that hasn't scored more than 28 points against a division 1 opponent in the last three years. i hope that when we see the offense play memphis in just over a week, we will hang 35 points on them with ease and all exchange glances an wonder "where has that offense been the last 4 years" but i don't think thats going to happen. in that case it would be comforting to have a super defensive line that can bail the offense and secondary out. and finally , no, i am not " a fan of another school coming over to start some junk". i'm a student at ole miss who trys to go to as many of the football games as possible.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

anachrist06 wrote:unless you have some very insider information with Hardy's doctors or someone close to the coaching staff to say that Hardy "will be out less than 3 weeks by the time the season rolls around" is dangerously optomistic. that would be the bear bear minimum of his recooperation. if one was to instead put his return somewhere in the middle of the estimated recovery Hardy will not be with us until the South Carolina game. (again i am not saying thats whats going to happen, but i do think it is highly unlikely that he will be back for the Vandy or Samford games if thats what you mean "out less than 3 weeks") another thing is that you never know how an athlete is going to bounce back from an injury. theres a reasonable chance that it will take a couple of games before Hardy, Jerry, or Laurent are playing to thier expected abilities. on that note the offensive line that has been projected as one on the best in the SEC and if not the country has been eviserated for atleast the first 1/3 of the season. as for snead, i see people talking and writing about him as if hes the next Eli Manning. hes only a sophmore, he hasn't started more than a couple games (lost some of those) since he was in high school and hasn't played period for the last year. to expect him to put up numbers like Eli did next year is absurd. i'm not saying he's bad. he'll be better than all the fools and walkons we've had since Eli. you can expect him to make seven or more completions a game and have no more than 1 interception every other game and maybe by the time hes a senior he will rival Eli. but i've heard him labeled "the savior of Ole Miss football" which for this year is extreme. in that respect Snead is overrated. i hope you're right that we won't even need our superior defensive line against Memphis, but your talking about a team that hasn't scored more than 28 points against a division 1 opponent in the last three years. i hope that when we see the offense play memphis in just over a week, we will hang 35 points on them with ease and all exchange glances an wonder "where has that offense been the last 4 years" but i don't think thats going to happen. in that case it would be comforting to have a super defensive line that can bail the offense and secondary out. and finally , no, i am not " a fan of another school coming over to start some junk". i'm a student at ole miss who trys to go to as many of the football games as possible.
I will let others inform you about what I do for a living and where. I refuse to even dignify this thread further.
Later,
Hagar
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

anachrist06 wrote:unless you have some very insider information with Hardy's doctors or someone close to the coaching staff to say that Hardy "will be out less than 3 weeks by the time the season rolls around" is dangerously optomistic. that would be the bear bear minimum of his recooperation. if one was to instead put his return somewhere in the middle of the estimated recovery Hardy will not be with us until the South Carolina game. (again i am not saying thats whats going to happen, but i do think it is highly unlikely that he will be back for the Vandy or Samford games if thats what you mean "out less than 3 weeks") another thing is that you never know how an athlete is going to bounce back from an injury. theres a reasonable chance that it will take a couple of games before Hardy, Jerry, or Laurent are playing to thier expected abilities. on that note the offensive line that has been projected as one on the best in the SEC and if not the country has been eviserated for atleast the first 1/3 of the season. as for snead, i see people talking and writing about him as if hes the next Eli Manning. hes only a sophmore, he hasn't started more than a couple games (lost some of those) since he was in high school and hasn't played period for the last year. to expect him to put up numbers like Eli did next year is absurd. i'm not saying he's bad. he'll be better than all the fools and walkons we've had since Eli. you can expect him to make seven or more completions a game and have no more than 1 interception every other game and maybe by the time hes a senior he will rival Eli. but i've heard him labeled "the savior of Ole Miss football" which for this year is extreme. in that respect Snead is overrated. i hope you're right that we won't even need our superior defensive line against Memphis, but your talking about a team that hasn't scored more than 28 points against a division 1 opponent in the last three years. i hope that when we see the offense play memphis in just over a week, we will hang 35 points on them with ease and all exchange glances an wonder "where has that offense been the last 4 years" but i don't think thats going to happen. in that case it would be comforting to have a super defensive line that can bail the offense and secondary out. and finally , no, i am not " a fan of another school coming over to start some junk". i'm a student at ole miss who trys to go to as many of the football games as possible.
Hehe, you MIGHT want to hang around for a while and get to know folks, who they are and what they do for a living before making a jackass out of yourself with statements like that one...
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

Let's take these a one at a time.

1. Hagar DOES have the inside track on information about athlete's physical well-being, especially in the orthopedic department. Despite his suggestion that we tell you what he does for a living, my suggestion is that you read the archives and find out for yourself. If he says it. It will happen.

2. Get a spell-checker, a grammar text book, and a handful of punchiayshun marks. If you "trys to go" to as many classes as possible instead of as many games as possible, you might be able to pop up a coherent post.

3. Get your facts straight. Snead got only mop up duty his freshman year at Texas. In the game against Kansas State, McCoy went out on the first series. Snead stepped in at the end of the first quarter. The Texas defense in that game gave up four plays of over 40 yards. Texas was behind by 21 when Snead stepped in. Despite his 13/30 190 yd performance, he threw for a TD and ran for one and lead the Longhorns on a scoring binge of 35 points that got them within 3 points of K-State. Bottomline... he has NEVER started a game since high school.

4. Mind your manners.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

USCreb wrote "4. Mind your manners."
????????? Must be an imposter... 8O 8O 8O
twlong
Water Boy
Water Boy

that was a very stupid read you told us all what we already know about players and although i hate injuries, we are helping strengthen our 2nd and thrid team guys assuming all the injured come back on time your assumption that we will lose to teams like alabama because of the injuries is dumb
you welcome criticism........ well your just wrong
Last edited by twlong on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
optimism is more fun than dwelling on the past
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Hagar wrote:
I will let others inform you about what I do for a living and where. I refuse to even dignify this thread further.
I want to formally apologize to the entire board and Anarchist especially for getting offended and "plowing" into his first few posts. I was wrong to attack so early and I don't want to be portrayed as a "basher" of newbies. I guess I have just been overly sensitive since the rash of spammers and Arkie types we have had to wade through over the last few months or so. Again I extend the hand of peace. I hope to read more of your posts and I again humble myself and promise to "reign in" my venomous tendencies. I should not have been so sensitive. Please forgive my shortcomings... my wife of 29 years already has. Personally, I think she lied to make me feel better.
Later,
Hagar
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I'm not 'newb bashing' here either. But I stand by what I said. You should make sure you know your audience before you make statements like 'unless you have some very insider information with Hardy's doctors or someone close to the coaching staff'. Do your homework now and avoid the embarrassment. Just friendly advice. Welcome to the board :wink:
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

felicianareb wrote:USCreb wrote "4. Mind your manners."
Okay... How about "Respect your Elders?"
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
felicianareb
2nd String
2nd String

USCrebel wrote:
felicianareb wrote:USCreb wrote "4. Mind your manners."
Okay... How about "Respect your Elders?"
Glad to hear you've come around... 8)