NCAA rule changes!

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

lead of the NFL and acting on a proposal made by its Football Rules Committee, the NCAA will assess a penalty this season when a runner is yanked to the ground from the inside collar of his shoulder pads or jersey.

Other changes announced Wednesday include a clarification of rules on chop blocks, or tackling below the knees, and implementation of a 40-second play clock that will start as soon as the ball is ruled dead. Previously, a 25-second clock began only on the referee’s signal.

The NCAA also will emphasize consistency in officiating, including blending crews from different conferences.

Rogers Redding, NCAA football secretary-rules editor and coordinator of football officials for the Southeastern Conference, said the horse-collar ban may result in fewer back injuries.

“What we’re hearing from trainers and physicians is we’re getting some back injuries when the ball carrier is immediately snapped to the ground by being jerked quickly,” he said. “If the ball carrier is grabbed by the shoulder or jersey and just ridden to the ground over a couple of yards, that’s not going to be a foul.”

The chop block will now be defined as any high-low combination block by any two players against an opponent other than the runner, anywhere on the field, anytime in the game and with or without a delay between the hits, Redding said.

Football officials support the change, said Dave Parry, head of College Football Officiating and coordinator of officiating for the Big Ten.

“We’ll err on the side of safety. We’ll defend the official who may be a little more strict, because that’s a major point of emphasis,” Parry said.

A video on avoiding helmet-to-helmet contact has been developed by the NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports.

“This is a short DVD that focuses on proper injury-prevention tackling techniques,” said Ron Courson, a member of the committee and director of sports medicine at the University of Georgia. “It’s been distributed to every college in the nation, and we encourage every football program to show this to the student-athletes.”

The NCAA also modified the procedure for restarting the game clock after a runner has gone out of bounds. Except during the final two minutes of each half, the game clock will be restarted on the referee’s signal, rather than when the ball is snapped.
Later,
Hagar
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Bleh, pretty soon, it'll be a penalty to tackle at all. Buncha pansies playing football these days. Go ahead and lecture me about the safety and all that... I played football for 12 years and never got more seriously injured than three dislocated shoulders and that was without all of these sissified rules.
Heath
All American
All American

BeeDee wrote:Bleh, pretty soon, it'll be a penalty to tackle at all. Buncha pansies playing football these days. Go ahead and lecture me about the safety and all that... I played football for 12 years and never got more seriously injured than three dislocated shoulders and that was without all of these sissified rules.
Will it be a penalty if they are grabbed by the hair or dreads and pulled to the ground? I have seen that happen once in the in NFL and I don't think they called it. I believe it was Troy Palamalu (sp?) after an interception.
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If you let it hang out, it's part of the uniform. That's the rule. Tuck it in, or better yet, cut it off.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

BeeDee wrote:If you let it hang out, it's part of the uniform. That's the rule. Tuck it in, or better yet, cut it off.
Or do like I used to do and Tape it up!
Later,
Hagar
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

BeeDee wrote:If you let it hang out, it's part of the uniform. That's the rule. Tuck it in, or better yet, cut it off.
I agree. If you're going to play a phsyical sport with long hair you better expect a guy or two to yank on it.
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Why does a guy need hair down to his knee caps anyway? Seems like just extra weight and more places for bacteria and sweat to hide when you got your helmet on. Our football players always shaved their heads and wore bandanas to soak up the sweat under their helmets. I understand that it was high school - and a long time ago - but my point is that they didn't have ANY hair hanging out at all. Seems like it would be more of an inconvenience than anything else. But what do I know... I'm just a girl with medium-length hair always in my way. :?
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
colreb1974
Scout Team
Scout Team

BeeDee wrote:Bleh, pretty soon, it'll be a penalty to tackle at all. Buncha pansies playing football these days. Go ahead and lecture me about the safety and all that... I played football for 12 years and never got more seriously injured than three dislocated shoulders and that was without all of these sissified rules.

I agree with you totally!!! If you do not like contact sports then try out for the synchronized swimming team.
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I agree. I do like the new facemasking rule. I didn't see it mentioned. Basically it says that a player can now grab a facemask as long as they do not jerk it. This eliminates the 5 yard "touching" penalty, but keeps the 15 yard facemasking penalty the same.

I'm not sure about the new clock rules if they're going to be good or bad. We'll have to watch it and see what happens.
GO REBELS!!!
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I agree with that too. In fact, facemasks were one of the 'safety' rules that I always did agree with. That's downright dangerous, like spearing. It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

BeeDee wrote:I agree with that too. In fact, facemasks were one of the 'safety' rules that I always did agree with. That's downright dangerous, like spearing. It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent.
Now you have posted about something I want to wade in on... I played way back in the Triassiac era, when we were taught to use your head gear..."spearing" was a part of the game and if you couldn't take the heat you got out of the kitchen. I always thought we should have kept it that way.
"Spearing" was fun to do when you got that QB lined up in your sights and planted your rt. foot just so and tucked your chin to offer him the top of your helmet just before you caught him right under the his left shoulder blade... you always knew he wouldn't get up and spent the rest of the weekend in bed or better yet in a hospital. Dang, I can almost smell the fresh cut grass as I post this. Football can't get here quick enough... lets strap it on and tape it up NOW.
Later,
Hagar
RebelConvert
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hagar wrote:
BeeDee wrote:I agree with that too. In fact, facemasks were one of the 'safety' rules that I always did agree with. That's downright dangerous, like spearing. It serves no purpose other than to injure an opponent.
Now you have posted about something I want to wade in on... I played way back in the Triassiac era, when we were taught to use your head gear..."spearing" was a part of the game and if you couldn't take the heat you got out of the kitchen. I always thought we should have kept it that way.
"Spearing" was fun to do when you got that QB lined up in your sights and planted your rt. foot just so and tucked your chin to offer him the top of your helmet just before you caught him right under the his left shoulder blade... you always knew he wouldn't get up and spent the rest of the weekend in bed or better yet in a hospital. Dang, I can almost smell the fresh cut grass as I post this. Football can't get here quick enough... lets strap it on and tape it up NOW.
I suppose when you married your wife, you clubbed her over the head first and dragged her by the hair into your cave where she cooked you roasted pterodactyl to celebrate your new union... I love ya, hon, but sometimes I wonder about your testosterone levels! Why would you want to hurt someone so bad, or allow someone on your team to be hurt so bad... yikes!
We're not snobs... we're just better than you.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

RebelConvert wrote:
Hagar wrote:
I suppose when you married your wife, you clubbed her over the head first and dragged her by the hair into your cave where she cooked you roasted pterodactyl to celebrate your new union... I love ya, hon, but sometimes I wonder about your testosterone levels! Why would you want to hurt someone so bad, or allow someone on your team to be hurt so bad... yikes!

to quote a famous old newscaster..."and that is the way it was, on this day of (whatever the date was)". Seriously, that was the way the game was played back then... of course back then, I was one of the biggest guys on my team at a whopping 5' 10" 186 lbs. I mean, really how much damage could I actually do. Besides, he was the foe's QB and he was really ugly, he had crooked teeth, he smelled funny and his mama dressed him in really ugly clothes. The really big reason is because "I could" and my coaches praised me for it when I did; and that was the way everybody else played and recommended you play as well. That was also back in the day when folks ran the Wishbone and the Veer offense and passing was for when you had to, and it was really admitting that you weren't good enough to RUN. Only sissies passed the football. I guess it is one of the reasons I feel so strongly about the Spread offenses today. Heck, even Archie was good at Running the football first and only passed when he had to because teams were busy running him down in the backfield...Floyd Franks was his favorite target and he almost never had a pass thrown to him over 15 yds. Floyd was great at getting Archie out of scrambling jams as Archie tried to break it outside for a running play trying to gain some yds.
Later,
Hagar
BeeeDeee
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hagar wrote:
Yeah, Barry, I get what you're saying, but those old leather helmets they had back in your era weren't nearly as dangerous as these plastic composite ones nowadays :twisted:

Tcounty
Scout Team
Scout Team

Hagar wrote:
Or do like I used to do and Tape it up!

You had dreadlocks?? :lol: