Another Mascot Vote??

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

As much as I like things the way they were at games and around campus as long as I have attended, I am first and foremost a REBEL. Always will be, and I will continue to support Ole Miss regardless of how this turns out.
I'm not for it but I can live with it and even though deep down it angers me I will remain calm and come the first weekend in September I will be in the stands shaking my pom cheering on the Ole Miss team that takes the field.
Whoever they may be. :?:
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
done

rebelliousb wrote:
1OLEMISSREBEL wrote:Well, said RebChuck and FelicianaReb!!!

Everything is political these days and it all ends in stalemate. We should all be willing to budge a little in every aspect. Even so, as far as this subject goes, let's allow your sig line to sink in.
Yea, I am not worked up over the whole mascot thing either, but just wanted to offer my belief that it is very much a political thing...guess it could be worse, they could be throwing around Jar Jar Binks....
rebelliousb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

cacreb2000 wrote:As much as I like things the way they were at games and around campus as long as I have attended, I am first and foremost a REBEL. Always will be, and I will continue to support Ole Miss regardless of how this turns out.
I'm not for it but I can live with it and even though deep down it angers me I will remain calm and come the first weekend in September I will be in the stands shaking my pom cheering on the Ole Miss team that takes the field.
hear! Hear! But they will be our beloved Rebels...just replacing one silly cartoon like character with another. Just think if our fathers and grandfathers had raise this much hell when "the administrstion" allowed SPORTS WRITERS to change our name fr the Flood to the Rebels.

So we have a cartoon bear or coyote...and maybe a real one. The U has a duck... I don't think of ducks with hurricane warnings and they don't intimidate me.
john_avery_fast
All SEC
All SEC

rebelliousb wrote:
cacreb2000 wrote:As much as I like things the way they were at games and around campus as long as I have attended, I am first and foremost a REBEL. Always will be, and I will continue to support Ole Miss regardless of how this turns out.
hear! Hear! But they will be our beloved Rebels...just replacing one silly cartoon like character with another. Just think if our fathers and grandfathers had raise this much hell when "the administrstion" allowed SPORTS WRITERS to change our name fr the Flood to the Rebels.

So we have a cartoon bear or coyote...and maybe a real one. The U has a duck... I don't think of ducks with hurricane warnings and they don't intimidate me.
He is an Ibis, dude, the most intimidating of all sea faring avian. Just kidding
Formerly known as 'olemsdave76'
done

Still wish we could come up with a creative way to include a reference to the Blues (the music that is)...I had earlier jokingly suggested the "Red and Blues Brothers", but that doesn't quite get there...

Guess we could be the "Kings" and our mascot could be an Elvis impersonator..and since the band can't play FDWL...we could have the mascot lip syncing to Elvis singing his American Trilogy.....(the man became a freak, but what a voice...and this one always makes me well up just a bit...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWs0KzFO9qA
bigtreydaddy
2nd String
2nd String

Sasquatch wrote:
colreb74 wrote:It's a Sad day to be a Rebel. Or whatever the hell we are now! I guess "Rebel" is a name of the past. Since our Mascot will change, what will we be? The Mississippi Liberals. Obama as our mascot???
Ummmm, when did anybody say anything about getting rid of the name "Rebels"? And please...let's not get into ANOTHER series of political slippery slope discussions here. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a political issue. It's a school spirit issue. So stop trying to make it into one. And if the discussion here becomes as contentious as it was in the Fall with the whole "TWSRA" BS, I'm just gonna have to leave here until it simmers down again. I ALMOST came completely unglued on a couple of folks then, and I'm NOT going to let that happen again.
I agree with you, Sas. Everything lately seems to slip and slide into a coming apocalypse. Stop worrying so much about all this. As of today, we aren't changing any of our nicknames. We're not changing our colors. It's just not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. What man can add a single hour to his life by worrying? Also, I'm so sick of these administration conspiracy theories--I feel like I'm reading a bunch of JFK 9/11 Area 51 mess.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

BEGIN SOAPBOX

A few things:

They're not getting rid of the name "Rebels". They have been very clear about this so, until they say they're going to do this, all of the complaints about it aren't warranted.

And yes, it is political. What isn't these days? However, it isn't the politics many of y'all are alluding to. It isn't the "liberal PC crowd" politics; it's the "let's be pragmatic about our univerisity" academic politics. Getting rid of the confederate imagery betters our university and, vicariously, the state. Consider the following:

-Ole Miss' Phi Beta Kappa chapter
-The Honors College
-The Department of Public Policy and Leadership
-The Thad Chochran Research Center
-The Croft Institute
-The Center for Southern Studies
-The new residential colleges
-The Fed Ex Academic Support Center
-The Gertrude Castellow Ford Center (where the debate was held)
-Significant expansion of football, baseball, and basketball facilities
-More successful programs in football and baseball
-An endowment nearing a half of a billion dollars

Unless I'm mistaken, every single one of these things are new developments. None of them have been around longer than 10-15 years, with many being only a few years old. These things are the very selling points the university uses to bring in new students, professors, and (here's the kicker) donations.

When we had the confederate flag at games, Dixie as an "unofficial fight song", Colonel Reb, etc., big time donors and corporate sponsors didn't want a d*** thing to do with Ole Miss. I know this because my father worked for the medical school from 1993 until just a few years ago. He heard this from Khayat, Jones, and every other significant administrator Ole Miss has had during that time span. Ever since we've distanced ourselves from the Old South imagery, we've done nothing but improve our university as an organization which educates and eventually betters the State of Mississippi.

I recently heard the story of Chancellor Gerald Turner trying to get a Phi Beta Kappa chapter to Ole Miss in the early 1990's(if it's not true or if I'm missing some details, please correct me). The story basically goes like this: Gerald Turner approaches PBK, asks "why can't we have a chapter?", to which they reply "because we don't want to associate ourselves with the Confederate imagery." Story goes that they specifically cited the Confederate Flag when speaking to Turner. I know some may say "well I don't care what they think," but Phi Beta Kappa is the single most prestigious honor society in the nation. Every university wants to establish a PBK chapter, but few are given that opportunity. Of the eight State schools in Mississippi, Ole Miss is the only one that can boast a PBK chapter. That's huge, and we have it because we took a step away from the past.

Look, Colonel Reb doesn't bother me. I own stuff with the Colonel on it and am not ashamed of this. I do, however, see how removing ourselves from these ever so precious "traditions" only benefits us in the long run. I'm not giving in to the "PC Police" or Barack Obama or whoever y'all think may be behind this; I'm being practical. I want to improve Ole Miss.

We all claim to love Ole Miss, but few of us are actually acting like it right now.

Hotty Toddy! Go Rebels Go!

END SOAPBOX
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rrlynch wrote:BEGIN SOAPBOX

A few things:

They're not getting rid of the name "Rebels". They have been very clear about this so, until they say they're going to do this, all of the complaints about it aren't warranted.

And yes, it is political. What isn't these days? However, it isn't the politics many of y'all are alluding to. It isn't the "liberal PC crowd" politics; it's the "let's be pragmatic about our univerisity" academic politics. Getting rid of the confederate imagery betters our university and, vicariously, the state. Consider the following:

-The Honors College
-The Croft Institute

Unless I'm mistaken, every single one of these things are new developments. None of them have been around longer than 10-15 years, with many being only a few years old. These things are the very selling points the university uses to bring in new students, professors, and (here's the kicker) donations.

When we had the confederate flag at games, Dixie as an "unofficial fight song", Colonel Reb, etc., big time donors and corporate sponsors didn't want a d*** thing to do with Ole Miss. I know this because my father worked for the medical school from 1993 until just a few years ago. He heard this from Khayat, Jones, and every other significant administrator Ole Miss has had during that time span. Ever since we've distanced ourselves from the Old South imagery, we've done nothing but improve our university as an organization which educates and eventually betters the State of Mississippi.

I recently heard the story of Chancellor Gerald Turner trying to get a Phi Beta Kappa chapter to Ole Miss in the early 1990's(if it's not true or if I'm missing some details, please correct me). The story basically goes like this: Gerald Turner approaches PBK, asks "why can't we have a chapter?", to which they reply "because we don't want to associate ourselves with the Confederate imagery." Story goes that they specifically cited the Confederate Flag when speaking to Turner. I know some may say "well I don't care what they think," but Phi Beta Kappa is the single most prestigious honor society in the nation. Every university wants to establish a PBK chapter, but few are given that opportunity. Of the eight State schools in Mississippi, Ole Miss is the only one that can boast a PBK chapter. That's huge, and we have it because we took a step away from the past.

Look, Colonel Reb doesn't bother me. I own stuff with the Colonel on it and am not ashamed of this. I do, however, see how removing ourselves from these ever so precious "traditions" only benefits us in the long run. I'm not giving in to the "PC Police" or Barack Obama or whoever y'all think may be behind this; I'm being practical. I want to improve Ole Miss.

We all claim to love Ole Miss, but few of us are actually acting like it right now.

END SOAPBOX
Well said. Thank you.
done

A few things:

-The Honors College
-The Croft Institute

END SOAPBOX

People can have a different perspective than you and still love Ole Miss...we are all proud of all the things you mention above and none of them have anything to do with the discussion of a mascot.....you don't have to throw the baby out with the wash...the flags are gone and should be.....the rest has just been overkill
philipj92
Water Boy
Water Boy

A few things:

-The Honors College
-The Croft Institute

END SOAPBOX
As a prospective student, I for one can tell you that all those programs that you listed have been VERY instrumental in drawing me towards Ole Miss. If it wasn't for the Honors College, the Lott Institute, the Residential Colleges, Ole Miss wouldn't even be on my radar. I loved Colonel Reb. But I understand the need to move on.
done

I am not all in knots over Colonel rebel being gone (FDWL is another thing though)...and I am all for moving on, but the way we seem to move on always does more dragging up of baggage than it does heading down a path....and I think that this is done in some ways on purpose so that they can eventually get rid of anything and everything....they never let sleeping dogs lie...they always kick 'em in the butt right on the point that causes the most barking.....

Instead of building off of the wonderful things about Ole Miss that RRLynch referred to, they seem to do their damndest to just stir up the old crap...let that *beep* be and quit scraping the scab and making a little scratch become a festering wound!
Last edited by done on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:I am not all in knots over Colonel rebel being gone (FDWL is another thing though)...and I am all for moving on, but the way we seem to move on always does more dragging up of baggage than it does heading down a path....and I think that this is done in some ways on purpose so that they can eventually get rid of anything and everything....they never let sleeing dogs lie...they always kick 'em in the butt right on the point that causes the most barking.....

Instead of building off of the wonderful things about Ole Miss that RRLynch referred to, they seem to do their damndest to just stir up the old crap...let that *beep* be and quit scraping the scab and making a little scratch become a festering wound!
Couldn't agree more!
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
Memphis Jack
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Hello All:

I have followed the mascot discussions in this thread since it began and would like to offer a few thoughts.

When I was in school the, "mascot" was a male student dressed in a grey uniform stalking the sideline and, I believe, brandishing a saber. (My memory may be faulty about the saber.) The fans waved Rebel flags furiously and no one seemed offended. Times change and rightly so. Sometime after I graduated, the Rebel soldier left the sideline and the Rebel flags were banned. I didn't much like the changes, but was OK with it because, again, times change. Then Colonel Rebel came and went for all the reasons debated here and elsewhere. OK, times change.

I have no interest in debating the pros and cons of everything that has happened in the past. I am , however, interested in addressing some thoughts and suggestions to those that will guide the search for our future mascot. I implore you to consider those who have gone before you and those that will come to Ole Miss after you are gone. You are selecting a mascot for all those individuals as well as those now on campus. Please consider carefully the responsibility you have to our university and don't select something cool or radical or cute such as this Akbar character I had never heard of until a few days ago. I understand the symbolism of the "Rebel Alliance", but fail to see how that could possibly resonate with those who came before you and will come after you leave. In fact, look down the road twenty or twenty-five years and imagine how you will feel knowing you were a party to selecting such a mascot for our school (and, explaining it to your kids sitting in the stands).

A real live example of what I'm talking about can be seen at my granddaughter's school in Memphis. It a very old, prestigious private girls' school that has provided wonderful opportunities and education for thousands of girls over the years. I have been going to her athletic events for years, but only recently learned their nickname, "Turkeys"! Apparently, sometime in in the past, a student body group was tasked with coming up with a nickname for the school's teams. For reasons no one can seem to remember, they became "Turkeys". Student bodies ever since have disliked the name and it is not used for anything, which is why I did not even know about it.

I would regret it, if such a thing happened with Ole Miss. Please deliberate carefully, consider those who came before you and those that will come after and give us something we can all embrace. No matter the outcome, however, my loyalty to and love of Ole Miss will continue unabated.

Sorry for the long post, but the subject seemed worthy.
Leibniz
Water Boy
Water Boy

Since we're being pragmatic and doing what takes to get more money, why not just sell the mascot and the nickname to the highest bidder. Ole miss could be the Fed Ex Airmen or the Nike Just Do Its. Other departments could grab sponsors as well. Pfizer could sponsor the pharmacy school. The sky is the limit. Just think of all the good that could be done.

Anyone hear the saying "the things you own, end up owning you?"
The way many are willing to trash their families and culture's traditions so they may take the green stuff from whomever is willing to give it is a scary and sad thing.
rrlynch
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Leibniz wrote:Since we're being pragmatic and doing what takes to get more money, why not just sell the mascot and the nickname to the highest bidder. Ole miss could be the Fed Ex Airmen or the Nike Just Do Its. Other departments could grab sponsors as well. Pfizer could sponsor the pharmacy school. The sky is the limit. Just think of all the good that could be done.

Anyone hear the saying "the things you own, end up owning you?"
The way many are willing to trash their families and culture's traditions so they may take the green stuff from whomever is willing to give it is a scary and sad thing.
You're trying to prove a point by presenting an absurd hypothetical. I'm trying to prove a point by citing actual events which have happened. Please don't mislead people in the forum with this tactic. I don't think you realize just how much Ole Miss struggled to even stay accredited during the 60's-80's, let alone operate in the black. And to reduce my argument to "hey let's do this and we'll get money" is (once again) misleading and, frankly, insulting. While money is the fuel this engine runs on, the changes I proposed aren't simply expressed with "Ole Miss has more money." Because of all of the new opportunities Ole Miss has opened to itself, the value of an Ole Miss degree has increased and the everyday student experience is more enriching and unique than ever.

Are you honestly willing to throw an improved education and university experience away for a simple mascot? Seriously, weight the pros and cons.

Here's a saying for you: "don't cut off your nose to spite your face." Trying to bring Colonel Reb, FDWL, and all of things back would be doing just that. We'd be hurting Ole Miss more than we would ever want.

And my family and culture's traditions are way more complex and run much, much deeper than a dude in a foam suit walking around at football games. I would like to think that applies to everyone here, so do yourself a favor and don't cheapen your identity.
Don't try to teach a pig to sing. They'll call you silly names and get all bitter about head coach.