WEll, I was partially right

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

it would appear that I was partially right about Slive and the SEC office. they did know what was going down and was proactive about how to handle it. I can also imagine that ESPN had a hand in managing the SEC office information to get the SEC office to react the way it did. These guys ain't stupid at all. Check out this post.

Posted: Today 11:08 PM
Hat's off, Slive. You guys don't even seem to realize what just
happened. This was HUGE. This was an effort by the big 10 and pac 10 to raise the Rose bowl to the national championship showcase and drop the BCS rotation, The pac 10 and big 10 hate the BCS and, if you remember, reluctantly agreed to it only after special provision was put in, that being that if #1 and #2 are from the pac 10 and big 10, then the Rose bowl will host the title game regardless of the rotation.
What is killing the rose bowl is the SEC and big 12. They can't get a rose bowl, big 10, pac 10, national title game with those 2 in the way. So what do you do?
You can't do anything with the SEC, they are way too strong with no weak points. The big 12, that's another story. Lot of dissension going on with nebraska and the big 12. Can the big 10/pac 10 bust it up and leave the sec with the ACC and Big East? That's the most promising thing. If the Big 12 can be eliminated and the big 10 and pac 10 expand to 16 teams each, then the Rose bowl will become the national championship game in most eyes around the country, and without having to play the SEC.

Joint effort by big 10 and pac 10. Big 10 is the strongest financially and has a great geographical tie to Nebraska.
First shot fired - Mizzou rumored to be offered by big 10 (no real offer). Nebraska offered along with mizzou. This is a shot to cripple the big 12. Nebraska accepts (after big 10 realizes notre dame is out) giving the big 10 12 teams. Big ten stands pat on expansion and puts mizzou on hold.

Crippled big 12 is next hit by a weak pac 10 with full force. Colorado offered as well as TX and Ok schools. Colorado leaves giving the pac 10 11 teams. The big 12 is now officially dead, nebraska is gone, mizzou was offered by the big 10, and the 4 tx/ok schools are given refuge to the pac 10.

The big ten waits for the big 12 to officially dissolve, and the pac ten officially go to 16 teams with the addition of tx, a&m, ok, okst. Once that is signed and sealed the big 10 will make the big east/ ACC raid and go to 16. That will leave the SEC all alone with no intact conferences left to play in a championship bowl game. The ACC could add to get back to 12 but they would have to steal big east teams to get there, the big east would have to add scrubs to maintain 12 teams.

Checkmate.

That was SO close to happening. You guys were so concerned with adding teams to the SEC that you never realized we would have no one to play at the end of the year.

Slive never said anything significant. He watched and waited, and he knew from the beginning what was going down. Lot of rumors about offers and expansion but nothing concrete. Then, at exactly the precise time, he throws the hammer. An offer to A&M. (VT was never offered, rumor was floated to legitimatize a&m offer).

That's all it took. Slive put texas all in and they caved. The big 10 and pac 10 stood by and watched while texas made threats to a&m with no effect. Texas peed themselves and broke the deal.

One move by Slive, an A&M offer, blew the whole thing up.

And I hope y'all realize it was a total bluff. SEC never wanted A&M. It was the offer and the poker face of it that blew it all up.

I like this Slive guy a lot more now, He's pretty d*** slick.
Later,
Hagar