SEC preview picks us 4th in West

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

and a 7-5 record. I think we at least hit the 8 win mark but if you want to check out what they say about us skip ahead to the 5:23 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoh7qtBTYs
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

RontheReb wrote:and a 7-5 record. I think we at least hit the 8 win mark but if you want to check out what they say about us skip ahead to the 5:23 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEoh7qtBTYs
Considering how last year ended, I'd say no one is insane for picking us 4th. Bama and LSU will always get the benefit of the doubt. And A&M gets the nod b/c of their play last year and Johnny Football. I think we beat at least one of those three this year, possibly 2.
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Maybe all 3. It is not out of the realm of possibility. All depends on our QB playing well and making good decisions. we have the RB's, OL, and WR's. Defense is going to look better. Special teams is a question mark right now.
RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Depth at QB is certainly a concern, gotta pray Wallace holds up through the season!
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

4th is realistic.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Assuming Bo and the O Line can avoid injury, this is about where I have us finishing in my head. I think our starting squad is the 3rd or 4th best in the West.
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

OM could finish as high as 3rd IMO but as low as 6th. The first month can all but deplete a team of confidence if things don't go well. Really like what Freeze is doing but he almost did himself a disservice by doing so well last year in some weird way. Also, QB's have a tough time coming back from throwing arm injuries. Not sure why they struggle more than Pitchers do.
A10Rebel
3rd String
3rd String

if we'd have won 9 games last year the expectations would be unbearable. No pun intended.
"Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice."
-Wayne Dyer
BobReb
All SEC
All SEC

spudhog wrote:OM could finish as high as 3rd IMO but as low as 6th. The first month can all but deplete a team of confidence if things don't go well. Really like what Freeze is doing but he almost did himself a disservice by doing so well last year in some weird way. Also, QB's have a tough time coming back from throwing arm injuries. Not sure why they struggle more than Pitchers do.
Got a feeling that Bo ain't one of your "glory boy" QB's, though. He's a tough customer. I think he'll bring it, even if the coaching staff doesn't want him to. This kid is going to play his heart out. As long as he stays healthy, he's going to bring fear to every team he faces. Won't win 'em all, but he'll worry 'em.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

BobReb wrote:
spudhog wrote:OM could finish as high as 3rd IMO but as low as 6th. The first month can all but deplete a team of confidence if things don't go well. Really like what Freeze is doing but he almost did himself a disservice by doing so well last year in some weird way. Also, QB's have a tough time coming back from throwing arm injuries. Not sure why they struggle more than Pitchers do.
Got a feeling that Bo ain't one of your "glory boy" QB's, though. He's a tough customer. I think he'll bring it, even if the coaching staff doesn't want him to. This kid is going to play his heart out. As long as he stays healthy, he's going to bring fear to every team he faces. Won't win 'em all, but he'll worry 'em.
What he said!
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I can't agree, however, that Freeze did Ole Miss a disservice by doing as well as he did. Hell, who wants to go 2-10 and 0-8 in the SEC? We wanted out of that mess quickly!
spudhog
3rd String
3rd String

Titles 'R Us wrote:I can't agree, however, that Freeze did Ole Miss a disservice by doing as well as he did. Hell, who wants to go 2-10 and 0-8 in the SEC? We wanted out of that mess quickly!
What I meant was, he probably sped up the "expectation levels" more quickly than originally thought. It's never a bad thing to win nor a good thing to lose. I was speaking from a perspective of, most would've suspected him to struggle mightily in year 1 with the schedule/how bad the previous regime left things. But Hugh/OM Players/Fans did a terrific job in bouncing back so quickly.

That being said, there was a reason that OM hadn't won a conference game in so long. Talent/Coaching/Etc weren't great. My point is, that a lot of people believe/assume (not saying you individually or etc) the next step would be 8-9 wins. When in actuality, I think if Freeze goes 7-5, 6-6 this season. That would be on par for the situation he accepted 2 years ago. But to many, that might seem to be a step back ( of course, that is not taking into consideration how he would get the 6 or 7 wins). It's just a matter of perspective.

Nutt at Ark/Om won nicely early. Leading to expectations he couldn't fulfill with basically other coache's players. IMO, the true definition of a HC is in years 3 and 4. I believe in Freeze in what he's doing. I wasn't trying to be overcritical or etc. Just stating in some crazy way, he won more games than most expected last year. Some times, that skews the perspective of "where are we at" and "where should we be" at a given point.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Hugh Freeze is not a 'low expectations' guy. The team will adopt his personality and be in every game. Eight wins is very doable this year. Mentioning Houston Nutt in the same breath as Hugh Freeze is an insult. Nutt had no intention of winning long-term anywhere. He's an old-fashioned tent revivalist in his approach to the game. When I see him running his mouth on CBSSports, I change channels immediately.
P-nut
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Titles 'R Us wrote:Hugh Freeze is not a 'low expectations' guy. The team will adopt his personality and be in every game. Eight wins is very doable this year. Mentioning Houston Nutt in the same breath as Hugh Freeze is an insult. Nutt had no intention of winning long-term anywhere. He's an old-fashioned tent revivalist in his approach to the game. When I see him running his mouth on CBSSports, I change channels immediately.

LoL!!!!