Possibly interesting game

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We have more talent and returning experience than Vanderbilt and we should handle them. But, that could be an interesting chess game between Mason and Freeze. Freeze has more talent, but in the two years that Mason was the lone Defensive Coordinator at Stanford his defenses held high powered Oregon to 14 and 20 points. When Franklin was there it was interesting to watch the coaching in that game. Will be interesting in a different way now. But we should prevail.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Eyeball test: I watched Mason in his interviews in Hoover. A speaker, he is not. Sentences full of uhhhs, you knows, ummms and platitudes. He talked about Bobby Johnson and James Franklin setting the stage. Now, Vandy is going to win the East, he says. He came off as extremely uncomfortable to me, maybe in over his head. Vandy won under Franklin with offense, outscoring everyone. Mason's ability to keep that going is a big questions mark, particularly without experience at QB.

Ole Miss can and will play defense this year. So I think Vandy will have trouble putting up points.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Eyeball test: I watched Mason in his interviews in Hoover. A speaker, he is not. Sentences full of uhhhs, you knows, ummms and platitudes. He talked about Bobby Johnson and James Franklin setting the stage. Now, Vandy is going to win the East, he says. He came off as extremely uncomfortable to me, maybe in over his head. Vandy won under Franklin with offense, outscoring everyone. Mason's ability to keep that going is a big questions mark, particularly without experience at QB.

Ole Miss can and will play defense this year. So I think Vandy will have trouble putting up points.
I agree, but the question is will he have some answer to slow down opposing offenses. He has proven he can do that. Will be interesting to watch.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Titles 'R Us wrote:Eyeball test: I watched Mason in his interviews in Hoover. A speaker, he is not. Sentences full of uhhhs, you knows, ummms and platitudes. He talked about Bobby Johnson and James Franklin setting the stage. Now, Vandy is going to win the East, he says. He came off as extremely uncomfortable to me, maybe in over his head. Vandy won under Franklin with offense, outscoring everyone. Mason's ability to keep that going is a big questions mark, particularly without experience at QB.

A lot of the media covering media days really like Mason. They said he doesn't give a lot of 'coach speak' and that he knows football. We'll see. I think we handle them a little more easily this year, though.
Some Random Dude
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:

A lot of the media covering media days really like Mason. They said he doesn't give a lot of 'coach speak' and that he knows football. We'll see. I think we handle them a little more easily this year, though.
We should.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I feel a little better about UT. They do not return a single starter on the OL or DL.. That is pretty tough to do, especially for a team that is "rebuilding".
RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Last year vs. Vandy was one of the crazier games I've ever seen in person and we were lucky to get a win there. This year I think we stomp them.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

We'll have a big game under our belt. Last year, we had to open with them. If both teams play good defense, Ole Miss still has the edge on offense. New system in Nashville. First game mistakes much more likely for them.