Favorable SEC West Preview

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

RontheReb
Water Boy
Water Boy

Pretty standard for where I have seen us predicted in Athlon, Lindy's, etc. http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/2 ... t-preview/ I agree with the tone of the write-up in that this seems like the year where everything could really come together with all the young talent Freeze has recruited the last couple years.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

don't know where I actually saw it but I think we are ranked pre season at #14. just for a what it is worth...do with it what you will.
Later,
Hagar
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Most predictions I have seen have had us going to either the Outback or Capital one bowls. If we make it to one of those then it will be a successful season.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Our goal should be to win the West and go to Atlanta. Nothing but that should be in our minds four weeks away from a season with a favorable schedule (Bama, auburn and state in Oxford) and veteran returning leadership. Not saying anything short of that is failure...just saying that should be the Goal our team is given. I already know that is Bo's goal and Treadwell's goal and many other players as well. As Bo so wonderfully said..."Why Not Us"!!!!
jrebel87
Head Coach
Head Coach

Rebchuck18 wrote:Our goal should be to win the West and go to Atlanta. Nothing but that should be in our minds four weeks away from a season with a favorable schedule (Bama, auburn and state in Oxford) and veteran returning leadership. Not saying anything short of that is failure...just saying that should be the Goal our team is given. I already know that is Bo's goal and Treadwell's goal and many other players as well. As Bo so wonderfully said..."Why Not Us"!!!!
Of course that's the goal. The goal of every team is to win their division . However, since that's most likely not going to happen, I will sit here and do backflips over a possible capital one bowl bid because that means we most likely would have 9-10 regular season wins.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:Our goal should be to win the West and go to Atlanta. Nothing but that should be in our minds four weeks away from a season with a favorable schedule (Bama, auburn and state in Oxford) and veteran returning leadership. Not saying anything short of that is failure...just saying that should be the Goal our team is given. I already know that is Bo's goal and Treadwell's goal and many other players as well. As Bo so wonderfully said..."Why Not Us"!!!!

I love it!!! If you can make it to MS for some high school football, you can come rally the troops.. You are exactly right, that is the goal and it has to be the goal.. I would be pleased if we finished with either of those, but right now I am looking at Atlanta!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I agree with all three previous posts. I'll be happy with those bowls, but until we lose to Bama I'm thinking Atlanta.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:I agree with all three previous posts. I'll be happy with those bowls, but until we lose to Bama I'm thinking Atlanta.

Heck even if Bama gets us, I still think there is a shot... Granted, the chances go down considerably.. I think the top 3 teams will have at least 1 loss this year.. Wonder what tiebreaker it will come down to...
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Keep in mind that the conference bowl tie-ins no longer exist. This is the first year of the playoffs, and that 13-member committee will not only pick the four playoff teams, they will also pick where everyone else goes. Tony Barnhardt reviewed it all this afternoon as guest host of the Paul Finebaum Show. Thus, a team with 9 or 10 wins could end up anywhere from now on against a similar team from other leagues. The SEC and the bowls tied in to the league used to decide where the bowl-eligible teams went. No more. If Ole Miss does win 9 or 10 games, the Rebs could play out West, on the Coast, or in one of the closer bowls. Barnhardt said that the advantage from here on out in finishing with a #1 seeding in the 4-team playoff will be that that team will be allowed to play in the bowl closest to it. These six bowls will now figure into the playoff semi and national game equation: Sugar, Cotton, Rose, Orange, Fiesta and (Chick-Fil-A) Peach, which was asked to restore its traditional, non-sponsor name from here on out.

If Ole Miss wins the West but does not win the SEC, the Rebs could still end up somewhere they have either never played before or haven't played there in a long time: Holiday Bowl, Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, Capital One, Outback, or even the Peach in years they do not host a semi. For the SEC to get two teams into the Final Four, one of them needs to win the SEC and be undefeated or have only one loss, and the other needs to have its loss be to the SEC winner.

Barnhardt said he thinks that most years, the winners of four of the Power Five leagues will get the bids. One will get left out, and even two could get left out if one league has a couple of very strong teams. I have to say that the idea of a 13-member committee, some of whom are not football people--i.e. Condaleeza Rice--deciding all of this is going to be way more controversial than anything that happened under the BCS or even before that. Get ready for your favorite team to be sent anywhere in the country in the future.