Ky. +15 @ Tn., now +10
S. Car. +15 @ Fla., now +13
LSU -7 @ arkie
vandy +1 1/2 @ Mo., now -1 1/2
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A&M wants blood after MSU! Who would've thought after Week 3 that MSU would be the best team in Mississippi after week 8? I certainly wouldn't now! After this weekend, it's clear we are maybe the second-best team in the state, and I'm not sure we're #2 in Mississippi. Southern Miss could probably take us now even if Kelly was still starting!
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The best team in MS has yet to be decided. Even without Kelly OM would skull drag USM. Totally different worlds when comparing the big two to USM in recent years. A&M was overrated. They beat up on weaker teams and was ripe for the picking. It will be interesting to see how Om responds without their QB.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

55chevy wrote:The best team in MS has yet to be decided. Even without Kelly OM would skull drag USM. Totally different worlds when comparing the big two to USM in recent years. A&M was overrated. They beat up on weaker teams and was ripe for the picking. It will be interesting to see how Om responds without their QB.
LOL. We won't be skull dragging anyone, and I definitely don't believe we would USM. A big part of our problem it seems to me is mentality. USM would be ready to tear our heads off. Also, how is A&M overrated? Sure, they lost to State, but outside of that, they've beat some good teams and played Bama better than most for 3 quarters.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

They beat Auburn before Aubarn figured out who they were. Other than the Arkansas game they really haven't beaten anyone that has impressed anyone. There certainly wasn't any reason to have them in the top four teams in the nation. As far as USM goes the two teams aren't even comparable even without Kelly. Usm is 5-4 playing in a far inferior league and has losses to powerhouses such as Troy, Charlotte and Texas-San Antonio. OM hasn't set the world on fire but they have played one of the hardest schedules in college football and have been more than competitive in all of them. Om would dominate them even with a backup QB.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:They beat Auburn before Aubarn figured out who they were. Other than the Arkansas game they really haven't beaten anyone that has impressed anyone. There certainly wasn't any reason to have them in the top four teams in the nation. As far as USM goes the two teams aren't even comparable even without Kelly. Usm is 5-4 playing in a far inferior league and has losses to powerhouses such as Troy, Charlotte and Texas-San Antonio. OM hasn't set the world on fire but they have played one of the hardest schedules in college football and have been more than competitive in all of them. Om would dominate them even with a backup QB.
"hasn't set the world on fire" is an understatement with respect to OM football this year! If Freeze were this good at making excuses, his press conferences would go a lot better for him. We crapped the bed time and time again when we had Kelly! A&M is beatable, but we have no motivation, no leadership, and weak coaching. It will be a miracle if we can stay within the spread, much less win. Remember, despite the score it was all we could do to beat Georgia Southern.

One day we'll be great again, just not this season.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If the coaching is so weak I would like someone to explain how we went to back to back new years day bowl games. I'm not saying everything is going great but I would like someone to explain how that could have happened with such weak coaching. OM plays in the best half of the best conference in college football and lost three first round draft picks along with some other very good players. Combine this with the NCAA investigation looming over the program and the injuries this year and it is easy to see how this year could have went down hill. You can support getting rid of Freeze if you want to but all he will do is move on to another program and start building again. He has won everywhere he's been. He started from the bottom and made OM relevant in two short years.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Coaching is weak. That's not even a question. Not gonna even explain, it's been done on many posts throughout the year. These players are not coached up to their potential and not prepared as they should be. A big part of coaching is keeping a team motivated and this team's spirit is broken down like no other. A big red flag to me is 3 first round picks from last year who barely see the field because they "have so much to learn". That coming from their coaches' mouth. Freeze has done a good job and I don't think he is the only problem, but I do think he needs stronger coaches behind him.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

So explain how this team with weak coaching happened to find it's way to two new years day bowls the past two years. Now, don't get me wrong. I see the problems but I also saw what happened in recent years. He inherited a team that won two games and reeled of years with eight, nine and then ten wins. That is a pretty fair accomplishment for a guy who can't coach especially when you factor in the conference we play in.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:So explain how this team with weak coaching happened to find it's way to two new years day bowls the past two years. Now, don't get me wrong. I see the problems but I also saw what happened in recent years. He inherited a team that won two games and reeled of years with eight, nine and then ten wins. That is a pretty fair accomplishment for a guy who can't coach especially when you factor in the conference we play in.
We got there on talent, not coaching. U need to hear the interview by Willie gay. He brings it up in the interview. U are entitled to your opinion. But I can assure u u are in a minority, and I mean a very small minority. Hardly anyone I talk to share your opinion. I will be SHOCKED if Wommack is back. And hopefully SEVERAL more of our assistants won't be here next season. But most Rebels are ready to see a change in assistants.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:If the coaching is so weak I would like someone to explain how we went to back to back new years day bowl games. I'm not saying everything is going great but I would like someone to explain how that could have happened with such weak coaching. OM plays in the best half of the best conference in college football and lost three first round draft picks along with some other very good players. Combine this with the NCAA investigation looming over the program and the injuries this year and it is easy to see how this year could have went down hill. You can support getting rid of Freeze if you want to but all he will do is move on to another program and start building again. He has won everywhere he's been. He started from the bottom and made OM relevant in two short years.
When were the back to back New Years Day bowls?
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

55chevy wrote:If the coaching is so weak I would like someone to explain how we went to back to back new years day bowl games. I'm not saying everything is going great but I would like someone to explain how that could have happened with such weak coaching. OM plays in the best half of the best conference in college football and lost three first round draft picks along with some other very good players. Combine this with the NCAA investigation looming over the program and the injuries this year and it is easy to see how this year could have went down hill. You can support getting rid of Freeze if you want to but all he will do is move on to another program and start building again. He has won everywhere he's been. He started from the bottom and made OM relevant in two short years.
Really good post and some good points! We've had tons of injuries! We lost 3 first round NFL players. We had a really bad year, but if our all world tight-end catches that ball, we may have beat Auburn. Recover that fumble on Alabama's last drive, you never know. Not had some phantom call onour defense in the FSU game and no tellings what. Everything has went against us. We have a really bad year, AND WE ARE 5-5! We are in the SEC west. You don't have to be very bad to lose 3 in a row. I've been a fan for a long time. I remember when we'd be picked to go 4-7 IF we beat Arkansas State. I remember being stoked when we finished 6-5 or 7-4. We've had a TERRIBLE year and we will probably go to a bowl!, and may yet win 8 games! We lost our #1 running back before the season begun. We lost our #1 corner, the first game of the year. One of our top receivers 2nd or 3rd game. Oline injury after Oline injury. We had a 3rd string center playing a lot last night. Steve Sloan, O, HDN, that was weak coaching. Maybe Coach Wommack needs to retire. But, wholesale coaching changes! That is NUTS!! Really that is NUTS!

Go Rebels!!
-----
Go Rebs!!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

darylscook wrote:
Really good post and some good points! We've had tons of injuries! We lost 3 first round NFL players. We had a really bad year, but if our all world tight-end catches that ball, we may have beat Auburn. Recover that fumble on Alabama's last drive, you never know. Not had some phantom call onour defense in the FSU game and no tellings what. Everything has went against us. We have a really bad year, AND WE ARE 5-5! We are in the SEC west. You don't have to be very bad to lose 3 in a row. I've been a fan for a long time. I remember when we'd be picked to go 4-7 IF we beat Arkansas State. I remember being stoked when we finished 6-5 or 7-4. We've had a TERRIBLE year and we will probably go to a bowl!, and may yet win 8 games! We lost our #1 running back before the season begun. We lost our #1 corner, the first game of the year. One of our top receivers 2nd or 3rd game. Oline injury after Oline injury. We had a 3rd string center playing a lot last night. Steve Sloan, O, HDN, that was weak coaching. Maybe Coach Wommack needs to retire. But, wholesale coaching changes! That is NUTS!! Really that is NUTS!

Go Rebels!!
Our special teams are a joke, has been since Freeze got here, we need better coaching there. Our defense sucks, players constantly out of position, even Willie gay talks about the lack of coaching in an interview. He's a 4* LB that decommitted from us. He talks about wanting to go to the NFL, and wants to be as prepared as possible. He doesn't think he'll get that here. Need better coaching there. Our running is the pits, been that way since Freeze got here, need better coaching. How much changes happens, who knows. Hearing Wommack will retire after the season, and I doubt Luke goes anywhere, even though he ain't an oline coach. This defense is the worst since I can remember, even worse than the Sloan years. Up to Freeze to make the neccessay changes, just hopes he makes a few. Been a fan since 1962, and this defense ranks as bad as I can remember.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

darylscook wrote:

Go Rebels!!
No, it's not hard to lose 3 in a row in the SEC West, but you pay your coach $5.14 Million per year to NEVER lose 3 in a row. Hugh has the absolute worst record of the $5 Million plus club. Les Miles only made $4.3 Million, and he got fired for blowing the Auburn game. How many games can we say Freeze has blown this tear alone? Florida State, Bama, Arkansas... Then we were never got not the LSU or Auburn. I'm not saying we need to fire Freeze, only that it's not unreasonable when you look at the expectations of others in his salary range.