What real reason for Freeze to pull Patterson

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Goroth

I don't understand the move by Freeze at all. He fell off the ledge on this one. If we have a miracle and land at 6-6, who cares?

Most likely we are 5-7 at best and wasted a potential year. A year that the top QB in the country could of played at OM. All supposing he is as advertised.
Best case is he breaks all the records and is amazing. Then leaves anyway after 3 years. Then this doesn't matter as much.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I was against this also, but if he only stays for 3 more years, then this is no biggie. Only if he intends to stay the whole 5 years would this matter. And he probably doesn't stay that long. I hope Jason doesn't transfer because of this.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

rebeljim wrote:I was against this also, but if he only stays for 3 more years, then this is no biggie. Only if he intends to stay the whole 5 years would this matter. And he probably doesn't stay that long. I hope Jason doesn't transfer because of this.
I guess that's the logic. We'll only have him 3 more and getting playing time will be a big carryover for next year. If this is the case I have no issue. I could see JP transferring because of this, really can't blame him if so.
jrhawki
Scout Team
Scout Team

I feel management running scared covering their rears for not being prepared. With Knight out at A&M think we where sitting OK to win out with what we had. We could use the extra practice if we can muster a 7-5 or 6-6 finish for a leftover bowl.......Hope it all works out for those involved....Go Rebels beat A&M tonite.....
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Goroth wrote:I don't understand the move by Freeze at all. He fell off the ledge on this one. If we have a miracle and land at 6-6, who cares?

Most likely we are 5-7 at best and wasted a potential year. A year that the top QB in the country could of played at OM. All supposing he is as advertised.
Best case is he breaks all the records and is amazing. Then leaves anyway after 3 years. Then this doesn't matter as much.
I never understood why Freeze red shirted Patterson in the first place. My thought was (as you pointed out) Patterson is at best a 3 year starter before going pro, so we should get him some playing time this year as a backup to Kelly. Either way, I agree it's stupid to remove his redshirt this late in the season with nothing to play for. I guess we will have a starter with some experience next year, if he doesn't get killed due to our poor protection.
carl winslow
3rd String
3rd String

I think the move gave us a great opportunity for recruiting next couple of years.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

actually I think it was a no brainer to start Shea...my thinking is like this.

1 if shea redshirts it gives him 5 years to stay at OM... if he doesn't he gets 4 years...if he is as good as everyone thinks he is gone after 3 anyway. Even if he gets injured next year or this year, whether he goes out with or without a redshirt year makes no difference.

there really is no benefit to Shea having a redshirt except for giving him one more scholorship year to help him graduate.

it really is that simple.
Later,
Hagar