Texas am

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

It's not just the QB who is a freshman. I think we all forget just how many freshmen are playing on both sides of the ball. There were numerous times last night that plays were made by freshmen. I don't care how talented you are it is hard for a youngster who is in his first year to compete against players who have two or three years of SEC experience. There is a huge difference between high school and jumping in the best conference in college. I wasn't thrilled about burning Pattersons redshirt but in hindsight it probably was the best move for the seniors and program. He got off to a shaky start but when he got settled in he was just as described. I don't know if I've ever seen a kid thrown in a situation like he was that played any better.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That was fun!!!!!!
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:It's not just the QB who is a freshman. I think we all forget just how many freshmen are playing on both sides of the ball. There were numerous times last night that plays were made by freshmen. I don't care how talented you are it is hard for a youngster who is in his first year to compete against players who have two or three years of SEC experience. There is a huge difference between high school and jumping in the best conference in college. I wasn't thrilled about burning Pattersons redshirt but in hindsight it probably was the best move for the seniors and program. He got off to a shaky start but when he got settled in he was just as described. I don't know if I've ever seen a kid thrown in a situation like he was that played any better.
It's pretty easy math on how many freshmen we have starting on both sides of the ball. 2 on offense, 2 on defense. Hardly the lack of experience your post implies. It's the coaches, not lack of experience!

Noted that the depth chart below doesn't have Patterson, but it's 2 and 2.

ImageImage
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'd also point out that 2 starting freshmen beat out their upper class-man counterparts.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Just because they aren't starting doesn't mean they aren't getting quality reps. We are playing a lot of young players. Even a sophomore who didn't play a lot as a freshman is usually going up against a player with more experience. I still haven't heard a explanation on how the program has made a complete turn around with such terrible coaching. From 2-10 to relevant in four years. Hard to do in this league unless you are doing something right. We have other coaches on campus who have been there for almost three times as long who haven't come close to what Freeze accomplished. Every loss this year and most from the past year or so came from teams in the top twenty five in the nation. In a lot of cases they were from teams inside the top ten. In each and every game that was lost OM was competitive with a shot of winning in the fourth quarter.
cacreb2000
3rd String
3rd String

Back from the game and I have to say it was not the outcome I expected but boy was it SWEET! If you have never been to College Station I would highly recommend it. Fans were super hospitable and it is one HUGE AND LOUD stadium. Really made it fun. But the win really made it the most fun and definitely shortened the return trip home. Shea looked awesome in my opinion once he settled in a little and proud to see the defense not give up and play strong in the second half. At least this win gave me some excitement for the rest of the season.
HOTTY TODDY!!!
GO REBELS!!!
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:Just because they aren't starting doesn't mean they aren't getting quality reps. We are playing a lot of young players. Even a sophomore who didn't play a lot as a freshman is usually going up against a player with more experience. I still haven't heard a explanation on how the program has made a complete turn around with such terrible coaching. From 2-10 to relevant in four years. Hard to do in this league unless you are doing something right. We have other coaches on campus who have been there for almost three times as long who haven't come close to what Freeze accomplished. Every loss this year and most from the past year or so came from teams in the top twenty five in the nation. In a lot of cases they were from teams inside the top ten. In each and every game that was lost OM was competitive with a shot of winning in the fourth quarter.
Some would consider going from 10-3 to 5-5 as a "turnaround", and not the good kind. We were progressing, but took a big step back in what was supposed to be a great season on paper. We haven't played one team that we couldn't have beat! I really believe that!
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I would just add that and freshmen getting more playing than upper class-men is earned. What does that tell you about the coaching staff's player development?
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's still fun!!!!!!!!!!!! and this is tuesday