FIRE HUGH FREEZE

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The dogs are smoking cigars in the dressing room. Our sorryness has made their season. The only time I can think of where we may have played worse since I've been a fan, 1962, was Archie's senior year against LSU, 63-17, Archie tried to come back to soon from a broken arm, and LSU had 10 times the talent state has. But tonight, no coach or player should feel secure being at Ole Miss. It just doesn't get any worse in ANY SPORT than what we saw tonight. That is as bad as it gets, PERIOD.
Last edited by rebeljim on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Everything here is just opinions and we all know what is said about those. Most of the time when a program is going good the coach gets too much credit. The same can be said when things go south. No coach can make his players play hard. There are ways you can try such as pine time but really they have two choices, get rid of players or put them on the bench. Injuries are part of the game. All teams have them. Some are decimated by them and some just plug another player in and go on (Alabama). Some years you have a lot of them and other years you don't have as many. You do have to play with the players you can recruit. I've asked before, what person do you think would make a better head coach than what we have right now who would actually come. If you think Charlie Strong is a better head coach you obviously didn't see his team play in the carnival league he coached in this year. I don't have a clue what kind of DC he would make. If Freeze were gone tomorrow you would be left hiring a inferior coach. No, I'm not happy with the way things turned out but I also can't name one person I'd rather have right now that would come. Unless he takes another job we will see how things turn out next year. Either he's the coach that went from 2-10 to 10-3 in four years or he's the coach that fell back to five wins in year five. My guess is he's somewhere in between those two coaches.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Can't get another name coach with the NCAA crap in the air. Only thing you could do is get a coach wanting to move up from a lesser conference.

My dream coach is Bobby Petrino, but that'll never happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

BTW I'm guessing 5-7 or there about again next year.

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Sorry, but you absolutely can make your players play hard. EVERY single coach that is successful does this. ive played college ball and believe me....hard work was more than demanded, can't even think of the word I would use.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Tcounty1 wrote:BTW I'm guessing 5-7 or there about again next year.

If we're lucky!
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

WildRebel wrote:Sorry, but you absolutely can make your players play hard. EVERY single coach that is successful does this. ive played college ball and believe me....hard work was more than demanded, can't even think of the word I would use.
You can recruit the kind of players that will play hard and you can put them in a system and environment that will make them want to play hard but you cannot make a player give effort. You can put them on the bench or get rid of them if they won't but in reality you can't make them do anything. I've also played a little college ball and I've seen the best and worst of it in dressing rooms. The best times were on teams that didn't have much talent but everybody in the locker room thought they were supposed to win. I suspected problems on this team a few months ago. I've seen coaches try to talk to players who wouldn't play hard and would lay down when in reality they should have been telling them to clean out their locker.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Tcounty1 wrote: My dream coach is Bobby Petrino, but that'll never happen.
God, I sure hope you're right. As was so eloquently said the other day by a commentator. Bobby Petrino is a dirt bag, but he is a dirt bag that can coach. I'm probably in the minority but I'd much rather have what we have now. If Petrino would come all he would be doing is using OM as a stepping stone to go elsewhere.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

55chevy wrote:
Tcounty1 wrote: My dream coach is Bobby Petrino, but that'll never happen.
God, I sure hope you're right. As was so eloquently said the other day by a commentator. Bobby Petrino is a dirt bag, but he is a dirt bag that can coach. I'm probably in the minority but I'd much rather have what we have now. If Petrino would come all he would be doing is using OM as a stepping stone to go elsewhere.
So you're ok with the coach we have now that brought the NCAA down on us, but not a guy that likes women? I could care less what a coach does with his own time. I don't even care if they pay players, just don't get caught lol.

proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Look, I'm done with "nice" coaches! We got that out of our system with Hugh.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

55chevy wrote:
WildRebel wrote:Sorry, but you absolutely can make your players play hard. EVERY single coach that is successful does this. ive played college ball and believe me....hard work was more than demanded, can't even think of the word I would use.
You can recruit the kind of players that will play hard and you can put them in a system and environment that will make them want to play hard but you cannot make a player give effort. You can put them on the bench or get rid of them if they won't but in reality you can't make them do anything. I've also played a little college ball and I've seen the best and worst of it in dressing rooms. The best times were on teams that didn't have much talent but everybody in the locker room thought they were supposed to win. I suspected problems on this team a few months ago. I've seen coaches try to talk to players who wouldn't play hard and would lay down when in reality they should have been telling them to clean out their locker.
It's easy to say recruit players that work hard. No one knows what will happen to a young man when he gets in college. I've seen books worms turn to alcoholics and trouble makers turn in to role models in college. Any coach will tell you that is part of their job. Demand nothing short of your best and if they respect you(which is something a coach also demands), they will give that effort. Sure, some can't be coached but those weed themselves out eventually all by themselves. I don't see a lot of effort from this team and it seemed to get worse towards the end of the season. I don't see this happening from "good" teams.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Good luck with all yalls lynchings. I'm not part of it. I'm not paid to do that job and I ain't free labor. Yet if anybody decides to send a check my way I will be glad to get something done. Just don't tell me how to do my job.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Tcounty1 wrote:
proud2breb wrote:
Tcounty1 wrote:Head coach is responsible for everything you mentioned except injuries.

Actually most injuries can ultimately be blamed on lack of conditioning, poor blocking, or combination of both, which falls back on coaching.

I.e. Chad Kelly's injury due to running for his life due to no offensive line = poor coaching.
I can go along with that.

Please refrain from quoting proud2breb...I've so enjoyed the past month since I blocked him. This just made me throw up in my mouth a little.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Heath
All American
All American

As upset as I am, I would not want to get rid of Freeze. He, really and truly, has done pretty well at a school that is known for being a powerhouse. And, I definitely don't want to be like LSU and Georgia, and fire good coaches, to hire inferior ones, just because we can't win the West with Saban at Alabama. However, some changes do need to be made, and with Wommack "retiring", those changes are starting.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Alabama isn't the reason we can't win the west.