D.C. Search

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Any rumors or solid information on who Freeze is going after?
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:Any rumors or solid information on who Freeze is going after?

I am taking that as a no...
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

only two solid names I've heard.....that are actually solid opportunities and not hopeful hearsay....

Colorado DC and the Bama LB coach.....you can look up the names.....bad monday for me....
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Yea I've heard those 2 names but heard the Tosh guy(Alabama LB coach) is more of a rumor but that info could be completely wrong. I think Jim Leavitt is a good coach but not sure if he is what Freeze wants with his background.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I actually think we are going to get Wesley McGriff as our DC...I prefer Jim Levitt, Randy Shannon myself. CJ Avery knows who is at the top of the list and is ours if we choose Mcgriff. Mcgriff is at Auburn now and Avery was an auburn lean before hearing we might be getting Mcgriff. I can almost bet the farm that McGriff is going to be our guy. He fits the big time recruiter image that Freeze wants I think.

Folks are saying they want Tosh Lupoi from Bama... personally I don't think Bamas Schemes are any more impressive than anyone elses... the players at bama are the real key to Bama's D.
Later,
Hagar
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I actually think we are going to get Wesley McGriff as our DC...I prefer Jim Levitt, Randy Shannon myself. CJ Avery knows who is at the top of the list and is ours if we choose Mcgriff. Mcgriff is at Auburn now and Avery was an auburn lean before hearing we might be getting Mcgriff. I can almost bet the farm that McGriff is going to be our guy. He fits the big time recruiter image that Freeze wants I think.

Folks are saying they want Tosh Lupoi from Bama... personally I don't think Bamas Schemes are any more impressive than anyone elses... the players at bama are the real key to Bama's D.

I think you are correct.. Looking around tonight, using context clues, makes me think it will be Mcgriff.. Kiffen was with Freeze in Texas recruiting today. Mcgriff has coached with Kiffen.. If it were somebody that would completely clean the defensive staff, it would need to happen sooner than later. Otherwise you are behind the 8 ball with time unless it is a huge name, the name alone would have to be able to recruit at this point (ex. Charlie Strong). Because of that, I think it is not a wholesale staff change, and Mcgriff fits the bill there. I sat through a clinic on DB play with him several years back and enjoyed it. I think the DBs played with a lot more swag under him.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We need wholesale!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It does look like McGriff, but I'd rather have an established DC from a P5 school. I want Randy Shannon, but doubt that happens.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
ThunderReb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I actually think we are going to get Wesley McGriff as our DC...I prefer Jim Levitt, Randy Shannon myself. CJ Avery knows who is at the top of the list and is ours if we choose Mcgriff. Mcgriff is at Auburn now and Avery was an auburn lean before hearing we might be getting Mcgriff. I can almost bet the farm that McGriff is going to be our guy. He fits the big time recruiter image that Freeze wants I think.

^^^^^100
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Don't like Mcgriff as D.C. Heck of a recruiter but position coaches can do that. IMO we need an established defensive coordinator that knows how to scheme, not a position coach. I like Mcgriff, just don't think this is the hire we're looking for. I don't get it, they've basically said the checkbook is open so why not go after the big ones. My only guess is no one wants to deal with the NCAA issue.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:Don't like Mcgriff as D.C. Heck of a recruiter but position coaches can do that. IMO we need an established defensive coordinator that knows how to scheme, not a position coach. I like Mcgriff, just don't think this is the hire we're looking for. I don't get it, they've basically said the checkbook is open so why not go after the big ones. My only guess is no one wants to deal with the NCAA issue.

We don't know that they are not. Based on how long this has stretched out, one would have to assume they have/are talking to the big fish. I do think you are correct, it will be a tough sell to get somebody to DC a team on probation. Recruiting is about relationships. So the problem we are running into is time. The only way this class would not suffer tremendously is to get one of those big fish in, like Charlie Strong. Strong would bring in his own staff, but his name is so big it would open doors. McGriff would not bring wholesale changes. Kiffen would for sure stay. I am guessing Jones would not. Either way, I am not opposed to McGriff, Strong or Shannon would be a Christmas gift, just a long shot.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I'm sure Freeze is making calls trying to find the best available option, I honestly don't doubt that. I just don't think we're gonna land the big one because of things already stated. I don't see Strong as a candidate at all. I'm sure it's gonna be a name Ole Miss is familiar with which is what I'm afraid of. At the end of the day, I think a lot of the blame can be placed on the investigation. It does in fact seem As though Mcgriff is the name being thrown around a lot but I think there are a few others better suited to what we need. Leavitt is one I think we can lure in with money. I think his head coaching days are over and the guy knows how to build a defense.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I'm sure Freeze is making calls trying to find the best available option, I honestly don't doubt that. I just don't think we're gonna land the big one because of things already stated. I don't see Strong as a candidate at all. I'm sure it's gonna be a name Ole Miss is familiar with which is what I'm afraid of. At the end of the day, I think a lot of the blame can be placed on the investigation. It does in fact seem As though Mcgriff is the name being thrown around a lot but I think there are a few others better suited to what we need. Leavitt is one I think we can lure in with money. I think his head coaching days are over and the guy knows how to build a defense.
I'm 99% sure the DC has already been decided upon.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

rebeljim wrote:
WildRebel wrote:I'm sure Freeze is making calls trying to find the best available option, I honestly don't doubt that. I just don't think we're gonna land the big one because of things already stated. I don't see Strong as a candidate at all. I'm sure it's gonna be a name Ole Miss is familiar with which is what I'm afraid of. At the end of the day, I think a lot of the blame can be placed on the investigation. It does in fact seem As though Mcgriff is the name being thrown around a lot but I think there are a few others better suited to what we need. Leavitt is one I think we can lure in with money. I think his head coaching days are over and the guy knows how to build a defense.
I don't disagree.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:

If it is a done deal why has he not been named? It hurts you in recruiting.