Ole Miss Announces Football Staff Changes

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I am not defending Luke in any way. I am just wondering more about our SCHEME being the biggest part of our woes than whether Luke is an effective coach. I just don't like the idea that there isn't a lineman on our team who knows whether the ball is going to be passed or run before the snap. That doesn't sound like anyone can preform their best in any team sport playing on your heels all time. Especially when it comes to obvious running situations.

I do know this.... when I was in HS each lineman had an assigned Defensive Player (ie. the Center had to block his man and slide off and take out the MLB on any Running play, and on passing plays drop back and pass protect the QB in the pocket) that had to be taken out for any given play to work...playing by sitting back and waiting on the QB to make the right reads AFTER the snap and then blocking your man is almost impossible in my mind. I don't have the answer, just concerns. I don't know how you would go about coaching a lineman to do it right. I am just saying that Matt might be less of a problem than we imagined and holding him responsible for not being able to do it might not be a firing offense. It just might be something that is out of the control of the O line coach for the most part...I wonder if our O line coaching scheme consists of "just go out there and do the best you can to take out the blitzing D lineman for as long as you can til the whistle blows." I don't know nor can I imagine any other way to teach it either.
Yeah, I get. Wasn't jumping on you. There are teams that do this effectively, so obviously there is a coach out there that can prepare the linemen for it.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:I am not defending Luke in any way. I am just wondering more about our SCHEME being the biggest part of our woes than whether Luke is an effective coach. I just don't like the idea that there isn't a lineman on our team who knows whether the ball is going to be passed or run before the snap. That doesn't sound like anyone can preform their best in any team sport playing on your heels all time. Especially when it comes to obvious running situations.

I do know this.... when I was in HS each lineman had an assigned Defensive Player (ie. the Center had to block his man and slide off and take out the MLB on any Running play, and on passing plays drop back and pass protect the QB in the pocket) that had to be taken out for any given play to work...playing by sitting back and waiting on the QB to make the right reads AFTER the snap and then blocking your man is almost impossible in my mind. I don't have the answer, just concerns. I don't know how you would go about coaching a lineman to do it right. I am just saying that Matt might be less of a problem than we imagined and holding him responsible for not being able to do it might not be a firing offense. It just might be something that is out of the control of the O line coach for the most part...I wonder if our O line coaching scheme consists of "just go out there and do the best you can to take out the blitzing D lineman for as long as you can til the whistle blows." I don't know nor can I imagine any other way to teach it either.

Granted at a much smaller level, I run some RPO stuff. I actually run 2 of the exact same RPOs as the Rebs.. The OL is almost always zone blocking in the RPO. Longer developing routes are called routes and not RPOs. I can point to a lot of examples as to why I don't believe in Luke as an OL coach.. We have struggled mightily all 5 years in short yardage rushing. The first several years it cost us a number of ballgames. Short yardage stuff is a lot of quickness and want to. I think our OL is the least physical in the league.. Justin Bell was a good leader, but it was mind numbing to watch him attempt to pull on power plays and make his block or either get blown up into the play. Some of that was play calling, some of that was playing him out of position and not recognizing personnel. I know that when Luke came in he wanted guys with great feet. He actually told me, "no feet equals defeat", after I asked about the big linemen Nutt recruited who just couldn't move. Out of the offensive staff I do believe he is, and has been the weak link.
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Hey, any chance we hare Kevin Wilson for OC....... That'd be a home-run hire to me!
-----
Go Rebs!!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

darylscook wrote:Hey, any chance we hare Kevin Wilson for OC....... That'd be a home-run hire to me!

He got an extension then fired for mistreating players, including playing a guy with a back injury.. No thanks...
AllenimIptWP
Water Boy
Water Boy

Now thats two NJ teams and one OH team right?
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

As expected, trey Scott hired as DL coach.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.redcupre ... ent=safari

Batoon leaves with Kiffen...I'm happy with this one.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccou ... ent=safari
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Well I was excited about this one...
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor ... /96081132/
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
Hagar wrote:
rebeljim wrote:Hear what u are saying, and there could be some truth to that. But also know that he didn't stay at Duke, so Cut must have thought he could do better. But I have a feeling we will see if your theory is correct as I don't see Luke leaving. Also. hearing talk that our new oc might have Shea line up under center, and we would be a more running team, as in telling Cam to come on board and be our featured back. Not saying we would give up our passing attack, but have Shea under center. They also think Shea would be better under center. Look for both oc and dc to be named sometime after the middle of next week. At least that was the last word from Yancy and Chuck.
let me also throw this scenario out to you regarding Luke when he was at Duke. Unless I am mistaken Luke played for Cutcliff when Cutcliff was coaching at OM. Luke might not have felt truly qualified to speak up as a young coach/ex-player offering suggestions to his mentor. Luke might have held back or been less vocal in his coaching style when he was coaching at Duke. Just sayin... the main question I would like to pose is this. Have we really seen Lukes best coaching given the Offense style we have run that probably put our O line at an unfair disadvantage?
Fine, hire an O Line coach that CAN coach the OLine in our scheme.

You don't keep him b/c "He's a good coach, our scheme just makes it hard for him". If he can't adapt to our scheme, then we need someone who doesn't have to adapt.
Great point!