Ole Miss Announces Football Staff Changes

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
cajunrebel

Good move. No more Werner and Farrar. Positive step and moving on! I was worried CHF was going to pull a Cutcliffe and loyalty would win out over results.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Farrar is a MAJOR loss. Probably the ncaa mess was behind this firing. But glad we are getting new OC and DC. Hope they're allowed to bring in their own people.
cajunrebel

rebeljim wrote:Farrar is a MAJOR loss. Probably the ncaa mess was behind this firing. But glad we are getting new OC and DC. Hope they're allowed to bring in their own people.

Farrar is definitely a casualty of the NCAA dumpster fire.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Farrar was arguably our best recruiter even though he was an off field coach. The bad news is the NCAA obviously has something on him. Wouldn't be a surprise if he gets a show cause. The potential good news is this could be a sign that the NCAA ordeal may finally be winding down. Chuck said in chat this morning that the Barney NCAA stuff would come out this afternoon. He said it would be secondary stuff like impermissible contact. Obviously, Chuck knew Barney was about to be fired when he said that. If Chuck is correct on the secondary nature of the violations then Barney was offered up as a sacrifice to the NCAA. Kiffin following big brother, would also be a sacrifice. This is the best case scenario in all of this, so we'll see .
steve nichols
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Farrar is probably a scapegoat but with Werner gone he only recruited because of an NCAA waiver to recruit in Werner place since he did not recruit
GtownRebel
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:Farrar was arguably our best recruiter even though he was an off field coach. The bad news is the NCAA obviously has something on him. Wouldn't be a surprise if he gets a show cause. The potential good news is this could be a sign that the NCAA ordeal may finally be winding down. Chuck said in chat this morning that the Barney NCAA stuff would come out this afternoon. He said it would be secondary stuff like impermissible contact. Obviously, Chuck knew Barney was about to be fired when he said that. If Chuck is correct on the secondary nature of the violations then Barney was offered up as a sacrifice to the NCAA. Kiffin following big brother, would also be a sacrifice. This is the best case scenario in all of this, so we'll see .
You think Kiffin is gone too?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:
rebeljim wrote:Farrar was arguably our best recruiter even though he was an off field coach. The bad news is the NCAA obviously has something on him. Wouldn't be a surprise if he gets a show cause. The potential good news is this could be a sign that the NCAA ordeal may finally be winding down. Chuck said in chat this morning that the Barney NCAA stuff would come out this afternoon. He said it would be secondary stuff like impermissible contact. Obviously, Chuck knew Barney was about to be fired when he said that. If Chuck is correct on the secondary nature of the violations then Barney was offered up as a sacrifice to the NCAA. Kiffin following big brother, would also be a sacrifice. This is the best case scenario in all of this, so we'll see .
You think Kiffin is gone too?
He could follow his brother if his brother gets the Houston job. I think Kiffin is gone, but that is strictly my opinion. Basing it on nothing, and last I heard, he is out on the road recruiting. What I'm wondering about is how in the world will Luke survive?? Our oline has been bad since he's been here, and he too is out on the road recruiting. And he and Freeze are real close, so....And what power will our new oc and dc have? Will they be able to name their own assistants or will they have to keep a couple of holdovers on their new staff?
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

actually I had part of this conversation with a buddy of mine today regarding Luke and his capabilities...here is what I have sort of decided, correct me where I am and might be mistaken. Hear me out and think about it for a minute and see if you can follow me for a minute.
Luke just might be a VICTIM of the offensive scheme we have been using...think about it, our O line has done nothing but pass block out of the shotgun since Freeze, Werner and Luke have been here. the "Read Option" with a passing first/dual threat QB is literally all we have run. In that system O linemen have to prepare for a "Gap Assigment/Pass Protection" offensive line scheme. Not the easiest to set up for success when the Linemen don't know whether the QB is going to hand it off/drop back and roll out/take off and run on any given down (other than first down where we always run into the middle of the line ;) ) This scheme is destined to produce confused and off kilter O linemen under the best of circumstances almost every time, throw into the mix second string linemen who might not have a good handle on how to do this (chemistry) and you can almost see how awful our line could possibly be. If we had a scheme and plays where a run was called and everyone knew that the play was going to end up as a run when it was called... well you can see that it might and could produce a different result. It might also explain why Werner was also let go today as well.
Luke just might, and I say this against better probable better judgment, a better O line coach than I and others have given him credit for... At least until the scheme doesn't "handcuff" him anyway.

What say You?
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hear what u are saying, and there could be some truth to that. But also know that he didn't stay at Duke, so Cut must have thought he could do better. But I have a feeling we will see if your theory is correct as I don't see Luke leaving. Also. hearing talk that our new oc might have Shea line up under center, and we would be a more running team, as in telling Cam to come on board and be our featured back. Not saying we would give up our passing attack, but have Shea under center. They also think Shea would be better under center. Look for both oc and dc to be named sometime after the middle of next week. At least that was the last word from Yancy and Chuck.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I hear what you are saying Hagar but I just don't believe he's a very good coach. I do think play calling hurt them sometimes but I saw 3 man rushes get to Chad way too many times this year.

Not sure what Freeze has in mind for OC, but seems to me that if he wants to pull in someone good then anyone with credibility will want to have some say in their assistants.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Wild, I don't know for sure but I imagine that the playcalling duties were left up to Werner who is sitting in the pressbox looking at defenses/coverage...Now the plays might have been designed/drawn up by Freeze/Luke, but Werner is the man changing/calling the play when clock is started for each play...watch em next time when they get to snap and then stand up and look to the sideline just before the snap. They do this so they can see how many yards deep the CB'S and safeties (Cover 2 or Cover 3) whether the D is showing Zone of Man coverage...that is where the man in the pressbox/Werner makes his living or gets fired.
Later,
Hagar
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:Hear what u are saying, and there could be some truth to that. But also know that he didn't stay at Duke, so Cut must have thought he could do better. But I have a feeling we will see if your theory is correct as I don't see Luke leaving. Also. hearing talk that our new oc might have Shea line up under center, and we would be a more running team, as in telling Cam to come on board and be our featured back. Not saying we would give up our passing attack, but have Shea under center. They also think Shea would be better under center. Look for both oc and dc to be named sometime after the middle of next week. At least that was the last word from Yancy and Chuck.
let me also throw this scenario out to you regarding Luke when he was at Duke. Unless I am mistaken Luke played for Cutcliff when Cutcliff was coaching at OM. Luke might not have felt truly qualified to speak up as a young coach/ex-player offering suggestions to his mentor. Luke might have held back or been less vocal in his coaching style when he was coaching at Duke. Just sayin... the main question I would like to pose is this. Have we really seen Lukes best coaching given the Offense style we have run that probably put our O line at an unfair disadvantage?
Later,
Hagar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Hagar wrote:
rebeljim wrote:Hear what u are saying, and there could be some truth to that. But also know that he didn't stay at Duke, so Cut must have thought he could do better. But I have a feeling we will see if your theory is correct as I don't see Luke leaving. Also. hearing talk that our new oc might have Shea line up under center, and we would be a more running team, as in telling Cam to come on board and be our featured back. Not saying we would give up our passing attack, but have Shea under center. They also think Shea would be better under center. Look for both oc and dc to be named sometime after the middle of next week. At least that was the last word from Yancy and Chuck.
let me also throw this scenario out to you regarding Luke when he was at Duke. Unless I am mistaken Luke played for Cutcliff when Cutcliff was coaching at OM. Luke might not have felt truly qualified to speak up as a young coach/ex-player offering suggestions to his mentor. Luke might have held back or been less vocal in his coaching style when he was coaching at Duke. Just sayin... the main question I would like to pose is this. Have we really seen Lukes best coaching given the Offense style we have run that probably put our O line at an unfair disadvantage?
Fine, hire an O Line coach that CAN coach the OLine in our scheme.

You don't keep him b/c "He's a good coach, our scheme just makes it hard for him". If he can't adapt to our scheme, then we need someone who doesn't have to adapt.
Some Random Dude
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

I am not defending Luke in any way. I am just wondering more about our SCHEME being the biggest part of our woes than whether Luke is an effective coach. I just don't like the idea that there isn't a lineman on our team who knows whether the ball is going to be passed or run before the snap. That doesn't sound like anyone can preform their best in any team sport playing on your heels all time. Especially when it comes to obvious running situations.

I do know this.... when I was in HS each lineman had an assigned Defensive Player (ie. the Center had to block his man and slide off and take out the MLB on any Running play, and on passing plays drop back and pass protect the QB in the pocket) that had to be taken out for any given play to work...playing by sitting back and waiting on the QB to make the right reads AFTER the snap and then blocking your man is almost impossible in my mind. I don't have the answer, just concerns. I don't know how you would go about coaching a lineman to do it right. I am just saying that Matt might be less of a problem than we imagined and holding him responsible for not being able to do it might not be a firing offense. It just might be something that is out of the control of the O line coach for the most part...I wonder if our O line coaching scheme consists of "just go out there and do the best you can to take out the blitzing D lineman for as long as you can til the whistle blows." I don't know nor can I imagine any other way to teach it either.
Later,
Hagar