How about Coach Phil Longo for OC???

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Kats89
Water Boy
Water Boy

Long time Sam Houston ticket holder here.

First, as far as the massacre that took place on Friday. I am still at a loss for words. That definitely was not the team that I have watched all year. Something was completely off on the offensive side and I think the team for whatever reason lost complete focus. I think a lot of it may have had to do with Longo interviewing for the Off Coordinator position, of which the talk is around the Sam Houston program is he did during the week while preparing for the JMU game. Apparently our coach KC Keeler was not happy because he thought Longo lost focus during the week of preparation. Now I am not saying that is the reason that SHSU got massacred , but it sure didn't help. Plus with the QB not practicing the majority of the week didn't help either.

Aside from that, if the Rebels have the skill players available, this offense will go. SHSU avg almost 600yds a game and 57ppg during the year. Yes it is pass heavy, but the Kats averaged 187 yards rushing during the season. It is a very tough offense to defend when it is clicking on all cylinders.

It just didn't happen during the JMU game....

Oh and PS.... rumors around the Bearkat faithful is that he is headed to The Grove.

per footballscoop.com ...
SHSU offensive coordinator Phil Longo is a very strong candidate at Ole Miss sources have told FootballScoop. Over the weekend we heard from multiple sources that Ole Miss was hoping to complete the hiring Tuesday or Wednesday pending final clearances.
darylscook
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Kats89 wrote:Long time Sam Houston ticket holder here.

First, as far as the massacre that took place on Friday. I am still at a loss for words. That definitely was not the team that I have watched all year. Something was completely off on the offensive side and I think the team for whatever reason lost complete focus. I think a lot of it may have had to do with Longo interviewing for the Off Coordinator position, of which the talk is around the Sam Houston program is he did during the week while preparing for the JMU game. Apparently our coach KC Keeler was not happy because he thought Longo lost focus during the week of preparation. Now I am not saying that is the reason that SHSU got massacred , but it sure didn't help. Plus with the QB not practicing the majority of the week didn't help either.

Aside from that, if the Rebels have the skill players available, this offense will go. SHSU avg almost 600yds a game and 57ppg during the year. Yes it is pass heavy, but the Kats averaged 187 yards rushing during the season. It is a very tough offense to defend when it is clicking on all cylinders.

It just didn't happen during the JMU game....

Oh and PS.... rumors around the Bearkat faithful is that he is headed to The Grove.

per footballscoop.com ...
SHSU offensive coordinator Phil Longo is a very strong candidate at Ole Miss sources have told FootballScoop. Over the weekend we heard from multiple sources that Ole Miss was hoping to complete the hiring Tuesday or Wednesday pending final clearances.
Kats89

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight. We appreciate it!

Daryl
-----
Go Rebs!!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think the ones not liking Longo better get ready for him. I have no info or anything, strictly my opinion. I think it's Longo/McGriff. Not sure I'm sold on that duo, but if that's who Freeze wants, then I'm in. But he better be right.....
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

rebeljim wrote:I think the ones not liking Longo better get ready for him. I have no info or anything, strictly my opinion. I think it's Longo/McGriff. Not sure I'm sold on that duo, but if that's who Freeze wants, then I'm in. But he better be right.....
I think you're right Jim. I don't like either but my opinion means nothing and still have faith that Freeze will get it right. As said many times, I think the investigation is our worst enemy right now.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I don't get the hate on Longo. They had a bad game in the quarterfinals.

Last year they made it to the semis and the finals the year before that.

They rushed for about 2400 yards this past season(about 600 more than we did) and it was a down year for them in that category. In 14 and 15 they rushed for about 3800 yds both seasons.

I should've looked the guy up before just reading Ole Miss message boards and making my assumptions.
Some Random Dude
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I guess we're at a point where a lot of people feel we can do better than pull a FCS coach. The administration basically said money wasn't an issue and they would find the best option. Longo doesn't fit that for a lot, myself included. FCS schools are known to produce big offensive numbers. But, that doesn't mean you can do that in the SEC or in FBS period. The one game I watched, that offense looked a lot like what we run. Sure, you can't judge him entirely off of one game but, it doesn't look good for your offense to play flat like they did in the biggest game of the year. This was also a big factor in Ole Miss losing games. There can be excuses as to why they played like they did, but it doesn't excuse the fact that it happened. Like I've said before, maybe he truly is the best option considering our football program as it is right now. i hope I'm wrong and he produces the best offense college football has ever seen.
steve nichols
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Majority of his big numbers got last 2 years were against teams with losing records and horrible showing in playoffs last 3 years.

Not my pick but my 4.5 million dollars salary is not on the line Freezes is
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

steve nichols wrote:Majority of his big numbers got last 2 years were against teams with losing records and horrible showing in playoffs last 3 years.

Not my pick but my 4.5 million dollars salary is not on the line Freezes is
Horrible showing? They went to the quarters this year, the semis last year, and the championship two years ago.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I guess we're at a point where a lot of people feel we can do better than pull a FCS coach. The administration basically said money wasn't an issue and they would find the best option. Longo doesn't fit that for a lot, myself included. FCS schools are known to produce big offensive numbers. But, that doesn't mean you can do that in the SEC or in FBS period. The one game I watched, that offense looked a lot like what we run. Sure, you can't judge him entirely off of one game but, it doesn't look good for your offense to play flat like they did in the biggest game of the year. This was also a big factor in Ole Miss losing games. There can be excuses as to why they played like they did, but it doesn't excuse the fact that it happened. Like I've said before, maybe he truly is the best option considering our football program as it is right now. i hope I'm wrong and he produces the best offense college football has ever seen.
Excuses like the starting qb not practicing all week b/c of a shoulder injury sustained the week before?
Some Random Dude
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Yes like those. I won't pretend to know the extent of his injury but I guess he forgot how to run the plays in that week because that offense looked pretty inept and unprepared.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:Yes like those. I won't pretend to know the extent of his injury but I guess he forgot how to run the plays in that week because that offense looked pretty inept and unprepared.

I like the idea of finding an up and comer that has had success at every stop. I have some sobering news. LSU is hiring an OC, Bama is hiring an OC, and elite OCs are getting consideration for head coaching jobs. With the NCAA nightmare looming, the choices are hiring an up and comer who has had success at every stop or an old recycled guy who has had success at some point in FBS or needs a rehab job.. I can't stand the NFL recycled model of coaching... I am glad we are looking outside the obvious names that pop up..

Also, on the same hand that a "player forgot how to run plays in a week", a coach did not accidentally win 13 in a row then forget how to coach in one week. It was a total meltdown, but at 65-7 talent isn't on the same planet. I won't pretend to know anything about Sam Houston football. If you do, enlighten me..
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I think you totally missed my point. The offense looked unprepared. Not sure if you watched any of the game but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. That is on coaches, we've dealt with it at Ole Miss and the exact reason we're looking for new coaches now. I've already said our job isn't the best out there and could be a reason we're looking at division 2 coaches. I just don't think looking at a stat sheet and said huge numbers translates to a productive offense at the next level. I've been wrong plenty of times before and hopefully I will be again.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Oh, and a friend of mine said it will proabably be announced tomorrow that it's Longo.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I think you totally missed my point. The offense looked unprepared. Not sure if you watched any of the game but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. That is on coaches, we've dealt with it at Ole Miss and the exact reason we're looking for new coaches now. I've already said our job isn't the best out there and could be a reason we're looking at division 2 coaches. I just don't think looking at a stat sheet and said huge numbers translates to a productive offense at the next level. I've been wrong plenty of times before and hopefully I will be again.
They made it to the semis last year and the finals the year before. If you want to let one game ruin your perception of the guy, go ahead. Obviously it was a bad game, but he's gotten them to the championship before, so he's been able to get them prepared for some games at least. ;)
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:I don't get the hate on Longo. They had a bad game in the quarterfinals.

Last year they made it to the semis and the finals the year before that.

They rushed for about 2400 yards this past season(about 600 more than we did) and it was a down year for them in that category. In 14 and 15 they rushed for about 3800 yds both seasons.

I should've looked the guy up before just reading Ole Miss message boards and making my assumptions.
I don't think anyone hates Longo...in fact I haven't seen anyone on the boards that knows him personally so hating him is a little strong IMHO. I have questions as to his experience at this level - SEC - and I think everyone does. I compare it to taking a POP Warner coach and moving him up to high School coach...makes you wonder if the person can handle it. But frankly, I don't care because it is not my job on the line if I pick the wrong guy for the job. HF will be graded on this hire.