How about Coach Phil Longo for OC???

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:
lewindha wrote:I don't get the hate on Longo. They had a bad game in the quarterfinals.

Last year they made it to the semis and the finals the year before that.

They rushed for about 2400 yards this past season(about 600 more than we did) and it was a down year for them in that category. In 14 and 15 they rushed for about 3800 yds both seasons.

I should've looked the guy up before just reading Ole Miss message boards and making my assumptions.
I don't think anyone hates Longo...in fact I haven't seen anyone on the boards that knows him personally so hating him is a little strong IMHO. I have questions as to his experience at this level - SEC - and I think everyone does. I compare it to taking a POP Warner coach and moving him up to high School coach...makes you wonder if the person can handle it. But frankly, I don't care because it is not my job on the line if I pick the wrong guy for the job. HF will be graded on this hire.
It's so funny that I was saying the same the about our HEAD COACH when he was hired and I was told to shut the hell up, and now I'm defending a COORDINATOR coming from a similar place and I'm the one defending him.

And to be honest, I'm not super pumped about this hire either. I just feel like everyone is blasting this guys offense b/c they don't run the ball when they do. Or they weren't prepared for one game when they made it far in the playoffs before.
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

It could be he had other things on his mind like a new job, maybe? LOL.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I think you totally missed my point. The offense looked unprepared. Not sure if you watched any of the game but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. That is on coaches, we've dealt with it at Ole Miss and the exact reason we're looking for new coaches now. I've already said our job isn't the best out there and could be a reason we're looking at division 2 coaches. I just don't think looking at a stat sheet and said huge numbers translates to a productive offense at the next level. I've been wrong plenty of times before and hopefully I will be again.

No I got your point. You might be right, but one game does not define you as a coach.. What if you had never heard the name Nick Saban and you popped on Bama vs ULM in his first year at Alabama? If you judged him on that one game, he would be total trash. I am more sensitive to coaching vs players and execution than most, because I am a high school offensive coordinator. We have scored 70+ in the playoffs, led the state in scoring, to follow up in the 2nd round with our lowest point total of the season. There are 9 million factors that could have contributed to that. Sometimes when I feel like we are very plugged in and prepared, it is just not our night. I have no knowledge of football at that level or Sam Houston, so it is impossible for me to speak intelligently on the subject or that one game that we, as Ole Miss fans, popped on and based judgement on a man's entire career. But, I can promise you when a team drops 65 on you, it is because there is a massive gap in talent. A ton more than the offensive coordinator decided the outcome of that game.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Teams do sometimes play not up to standards but you compare it to Alabama losing to ULM. That game had nowhere near the meaning as a playoff where they came out looking like they hadn't practiced in 3 weeks. My point is they looked very bad considering what was on the line.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:Teams do sometimes play not up to standards but you compare it to Alabama losing to ULM. That game had nowhere near the meaning as a playoff where they came out looking like they hadn't practiced in 3 weeks. My point is they looked very bad considering what was on the line.

Ok well Bama vs Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl... Saban gets smoked.. Notre Dame got smoked by Bama in the 2012 Natty... Didn't look like they had been playing football very long.. Sometimes stuff happens, but again, if you get beat by 58 points... Not coaching...
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

That type of offense will not work in the SEC. You HAVE to be able to run the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Tcounty1 wrote:That type of offense will not work in the SEC. You HAVE to be able to run the ball.

I rest my case.
Some Random Dude
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425 wrote:
WildRebel wrote:Teams do sometimes play not up to standards but you compare it to Alabama losing to ULM. That game had nowhere near the meaning as a playoff where they came out looking like they hadn't practiced in 3 weeks. My point is they looked very bad considering what was on the line.

Ok well Bama vs Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl... Saban gets smoked.. Notre Dame got smoked by Bama in the 2012 Natty... Didn't look like they had been playing football very long.. Sometimes stuff happens, but again, if you get beat by 58 points... Not coaching...
Well, we can go back and forth with this and we could both be right...guess it's a matter of opinion. Longo still hasn't been introduced so who knows what's really going on(I'll never listen to my buddy again :( ). I'll be behind whoever they hire as long as it works, just hope Freeze doesn't mess this up. This hire will make or break him. I guess I was hoping for a more proven coordinator at the D1 level.
Kats89
Water Boy
Water Boy

Tcounty1 wrote:That type of offense will not work in the SEC. You HAVE to be able to run the ball.

You can run the ball effectively in Longo's offense.

2016..... Avg 179 yds per game, 5.2 yds per carry
2015..... Avg 253 yds per game, 5.3 yds per carry

I know a lot of teams that would take that average any day ... I would hate to lose Longo, but cant fault a man that wants to move on up. But, personally I think it is a big jump from FCS to a Power 5 conference. Its Freeze's call though.

I honestly thought Sterling Gilbert would have the inside track. He did have a running back that led the nation in rushing with 2000+ yds rushing at Texas this year.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Kats89 wrote:

You can run the ball effectively in Longo's offense.

2016..... Avg 179 yds per game, 5.2 yds per carry
2015..... Avg 253 yds per game, 5.3 yds per carry

I know a lot of teams that would take that average any day ... I would hate to lose Longo, but cant fault a man that wants to move on up. But, personally I think it is a big jump from FCS to a Power 5 conference. Its Freeze's call though.

I honestly thought Sterling Gilbert would have the inside track. He did have a running back that led the nation in rushing with 2000+ yds rushing at Texas this year.
Hasn't SHS rushed for close to 10,000 yards the last 3 years? Man, that just won't work.

Edit: 10,010 yards in three years. d*** pass happy mf'er.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

12,233 passing yards in three years vs. 10,010 rushing yards

That's pretty d*** balanced.

This offense can work, if our defense can stop the other team from scoring. That's why Texas Tech(Leach was Longo's mentor apparently) could never do more.

If we can get our defense back to playing decent, we good.
Some Random Dude
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:12,233 passing yards in three years vs. 10,010 rushing yards

That's pretty d*** balanced.

This offense can work, if our defense can stop the other team from scoring. That's why Texas Tech(Leach was Longo's mentor apparently) could never do more.

If we can get our defense back to playing decent, we good.

Agree... Any offensive system can work if you get the right players to fit, run, and understand it. I read a little bit about him and really liked some of his philosophies on simplification of QB reads.. Most is pre snap.. WR coach in this offense is going to matter a good bit because WRs have to make a lot of sight adjustments.. I am wondering about Luke. In the past he has been in charge of scheming run blocking.. Hopefully they gave this guy full control of the reins.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

A name to keep an eye on as a possible replacement for Kiffin.

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =209966230
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food