what's the expectations next year

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

WildRebel wrote:
Chucky_38 wrote:The salaries are the problem. Every west team pays 4 million plus. Some pay 5. Some coach will finish last every year. And that fanbase will scream for blood. Truth be told if we want to fire a head coach for finishing last we prolly need to be paying him around 7 or 8 million.
True. I understand the competitive rate for SEC coaches is steep. But my point is, he is the third highest paid coach in the league and we finish the season with a 5-7 record. That is unacceptable. He was given a raise based on success and his program took a downward turn.
Also true. But I do like the changes that have been to the staff.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

55chevy wrote:Freeze is 39-24 in five years but he inherited a dumpster fire of a program that won two games the year before he got here. Lie last year or not but he has over achieved in his time here. last year was a step back but over all he's ahead of the game.

I'm not sure I would call Alabama, LSU, Auburn. Arkansas and Texas A&M cupcakes. As far as that goes I'm not sure I would call CAL, Vanderbilt, Kentucky or MSU cupcakes. Winnable certainly but cupcakes, no. You have to realize OM played the hardest schedule in the entire country last year after losing three first round draft picks and fielding a very young team. Along with the injuries that happened and most can see how things unraveled. It didn't help that we started a true freshman QB the last three games of the season.

Freeze has been here five years. He is 3-1 in bowl games including a Sugar Bowl win. Yes, I said he won the Sugar bowl. If anybody thinks that is underperforming I highly suggest switching and being a Alabama fan but oh wait, he's also beaten them two out of the last three years.

Not one person who's come on this board wanting to get rid of Freeze has come up with one name of anybody who would be a upgrade who we stand a chance of hiring. It seems to me we have some who want to fire our coach and HOPE we get lucky with his replacement. Yea, that sounds like a sound game plan.

So you don't call UT Martin, South Alabama, and Louisiana Lafayette cup cakes man those arent anything but scheduled scrimmages. That should be 3 wins even against our JV team seems you are very selective in misrepresenting the facts by obviously and purposely overlooking the cupcakes. As far as finding the next coach that's Archie's job, your job seems to be accepting and defending medicority
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

If you will go back and read what I posted you may come to realize that I omitted the teams you mentioned. That wasn't a mistake. What I was saying is that the teams I mentioned weren't cupcakes. Certainly most of them would be considered winnable games but cupcakes, no. The teams I left off and you brought up would be the games that should be a lot easier to win. Hugh Freeze took over a program that was on rock bottom and in year four won the Sugar Bowl. You may consider that a mediocre feat but I'd be willing to bet the list of people that have done the same at OM would be very, very short. A lot of people are already talking about the next coach at OM but not one has been able to come up with anybody who wouldn't be a downgrade. Since you are all fired up about a new coach why don't you enlighten us with who you think should be brought in.
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

possibilities in no particular order
Matt Rhule, Temple
P.J. Fleck, Western Michigan
Jeff Brohm, Western Kentucky
Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State
Bryan Harsin, Boise State
Matt Wells, Utah State
Troy Calhoun, Air Force

deserving asst coaches

Mike Sanford, Notre Dame
Brent Venables, Clemson
Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama
Geoff Collins, Florida
Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington
Bob Shoop, Tennessee
Tim Drevno, Michigan

Plenty of possible diamonds in the rough out there. We are not obviously going to hire a top tier coach from a top tier program but I'm sure somebody on my list would do well here or at least do better than Freeze did this year, the bar is set pretty low tied with Missouri for last in the conference
Chucky_38
All American
All American

GeorgiaREB wrote:possibilities in no particular order
Matt Rhule, Temple
Matt Wells, Utah State
Troy Calhoun, Air Force

deserving asst coaches

Mike Sanford, Notre Dame
Brent Venables, Clemson
Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama
Geoff Collins, Florida
Bob Shoop, Tennessee
Tim Drevno, Michigan

Plenty of possible diamonds in the rough out there. We are not obviously going to hire a top tier coach from a top tier program but I'm sure somebody on my list would do well here or at least do better than Freeze did this year, the bar is set pretty low tied with Missouri for last in the conference
If Freeze can't rebound next year maybe I'll be with ya. But man I been watching OM football a LONG time, /!; I assure you Freeze is the best thing we've had coaching since 1980.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Man don't use 1980 that was Steve Sloan and man did he suck
kenedy
Water Boy
Water Boy

The next year will be great for some...I hope so.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GeorgiaREB wrote:Man don't use 1980 that was Steve Sloan and man did he suck
I remember when Sloan was announced as our new HC. Unfortunately he didn't bring Rex Dockery and Bill Parcells with him from TT to Ole Miss, and we all know the results. I remember telling some friends, when he was hired in 78, that I should go back to college since I only gone 2 years, and never went back after the spring of 76. Found out later that Dockery and Parcells were the ones that made Sloan who he had been.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

GeorgiaREB wrote:possibilities in no particular order
Matt Rhule, Temple
Matt Wells, Utah State
Troy Calhoun, Air Force

deserving asst coaches

Mike Sanford, Notre Dame
Brent Venables, Clemson
Jeremy Pruitt, Alabama
Geoff Collins, Florida
Bob Shoop, Tennessee
Tim Drevno, Michigan

The key word in the whole post is possible. Sure, you may bring in one of the guys on the list to do better than Freeze did this year. What about what he did last year or the year before. We have plenty of guys over reacting about what happened. What we certainly do not need is a knee jerk reaction that will get rid of the only coach in the last fifty or so years that has come in and built the program to where it got to last year. Tell me again when the last time OM won the Sugar Bowl. Now, I don't know that Freeze will get us back to the Sugar bowl but you certainly don't know that he won't. I may be in the minority but I would rather take my chances with someone who has actually come in and built a program from scratch rather than depending on landing a possible diamond in the rough who may or may not pan out.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Freeze ain't going anywhere, nor should he. He had a horrible year last year that saw the coaches lose control of the team. He did what he had to, fire most of the coaches. I don't look for a repeat of last year, but also don't expect a whole lot next year either. My goal is to just make a bowl game, and build from there. If we do have a repeat of last season, then I think we all know what will probably happen. We'll see how bad the ncaa bs will hamper our recruiting, it's already done a number on us. But if we can get Akers, and maybe a few more elite players, that'll be about all we can expect this year. I think it'll be over sometime next summer, so we'll see then how bad we get hit. Hoping Freeze has learned a few things during all this crap. I personally think Freeze both survives this and grows from it, I think he can recruit with the best of them. And after a couple of years, will have us back to challenging for the west. JMO, others may differ.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^

my exact feelings regarding this as well!
Later,
Hagar
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Agree
GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

I think there is no way Freeze survives the downturn in the program coupled with the shadow of the NCAA effecting recruiting. He has under preformed if you take into account that he has had more talent than most of the SEC, and yes he beat Bama 2 years in a row only to turn around and mail in coaching efforts to Arkansas twice, a down Florida, and to Memphis. My point is he hasnt produced to the level of his talent and he is going to fail with less than top talent because of the NCAA which is ultimately his fault also. I'm hoping for a strong turn around from this year but I just dont see it coming and after living thru the 3-8 years of the 1970's and 80's I for one am not going to accept mediocrity but since most of ya'll seem to be ok with it I guess we will wait 2 more years while the Rebel program returns to the levels of Steve Sloan, Billy Brewer, and Houston Nutt before anything is done to right the program all the while ya'll will be holding tight to the fact that we beat Bama twice and won the Sugar bowl I hope those facts will get some more wins as it seems to be the reason you are throwing out to keep him another year
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I think most just want to give him a chance to turn it around simply because of what he turned around when he got here. He did have to almost start from scratch and got us all the way to the Sugar Bowl(even though that bowl has nowhere near the prestige as it did before...it's still the Sugar Bowl). I'm OK with giving him that opportunity but if things aren't better next year, I'll be hoping we at least see who is available after the season.
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

GeorgiaReb... I would like to introduce you to Proud2Breb... you guys can chat amongst yourselves. Welcome to the Ignore Zone.
Later,
Hagar