what's the expectations next year

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

WildRebel wrote:I think most just want to give him a chance to turn it around simply because of what he turned around when he got here. He did have to almost start from scratch and got us all the way to the Sugar Bowl(even though that bowl has nowhere near the prestige as it did before...it's still the Sugar Bowl). I'm OK with giving him that opportunity but if things aren't better next year, I'll be hoping we at least see who is available after the season.
Agree mostly. Think it depends on the NCAA. Freeze was so sure about us not cheating he dared opponents to come get him. Well...if we get sanctions he needs to be fired.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

5-7 probably

No reason to think it will be much better. Saw several say 8-4, that would be great after this year.

With the way recruiting is going, how bad will it be in 2018 and 2019??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Lol...5-7 and Freeze better pack his bags. I can think of a thousand reasons why we should do better than that.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Why would you think it will be better? The new coaches have never been in the SEC. for the most part they will be facing the same coaching staffs that drilled us weekly. Do we have 10-15 stud players coming in that I missed?

What am I missing about next year? What is acceptable to you. To me 7-5 and Freeze gets to stay , 6-6 I'm ok either way, 5-7 gotta go.

Now the coaches may be great in 18 but don't get your hopes up for 17.

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Let me clarify my statement. I don't think there should be any doubt that we "should" be a far better program than 5-7. Will we? I honestly don't even have a clue what Kind of team we will be next year. So, it's very hard to say what my expectations are. Outside of players like Akers, I don't think a freshman class has a big enough impact on the coming year to be a reason that we will be bad.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Oh and we're paying our coaches top tier money, along with those SEC newb coaches. So, how can you not have high expectations? Obviously our administration did to pay them that much money.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

I have plenty of doubt. I see no reason to think OM will be any better, different maybe, but what's going to be better?

That Techmo Bowl offense has run its course and cost us the #1 RB this year.

Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Yea their salary has zero to do with wins and losses.

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Tcounty1 wrote:Yea their salary has zero to do with wins and losses.

Since when?
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Just because you pay the money won't necessarily equal wins. If that were the case only the richest schools would win.

If the coaching philosophy hasn't changed , why should expect anything different?

"Air Raid" offense. How's that any different?

WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I agree. Just because you pay someone doesn't mean it will happen. My point was that EXPECTATIONS must be considered when paying someone a high salary. In any business, you don't pay someone a higher than average salary with low expectations.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Next year is going to depend on which OM team shows up. If the effort is there it shouldn't be out of the question to have a decent year. If they mail it in like they did against Vandy and Moo U then it could be a very long year. If I were coaching I would have apprehensions about some of the guys returning. Let's face it, they quit. They quit on themselves, their team mates, the fan base, the University they represent and a host of others. There simply isn't any excuse not to play hard. Too many varibles to even have a educated guess on what will happen. Also, OM plays in the best conference in America. They could play to their potential and still get beat by some of the teams they will have to play. Anybody see what happened to Baylor when their program was put in the spotlight. Nobody will convince me the NCAA deal didn't have a impact on last season. It very well could run into next year also. The NCAA is a jack booted organization that is corrupt as some of our politicians. After the Cam Newton deal they have no credibility but still hold teams hostage just because they can. They are a joke.
Tcounty1
Water Boy
Water Boy

I agree with both above. I really think the future looks bleak due to recruiting. Blame it on what you want, (NCAA,Saban,or the coaches) if this class is 13th in the SEC , we will pay for this for years.

GtownRebel
All American
All American

I don't expect any improvement. New QB, offensive line is same with same coach, new OC, new DC with only position coaching experience, same no running game, and who knows what will happen on special teams? Why would I expect anything to be better? Recruiting class is pathetic this year and even when NCAA comes down on Ole Miss like a ton of bricks and gives us basically the death penality with reduction of scholarships and bowl ban, which is not necessary because the reduction of scholarships will not allow Ole Miss to have a team capable of making a bow in the next several years. Ole Miss Admimistration says one thing but goes a different way every time in hiring new coaches, too. They say the purse strings are wide open, but then hire inexperienced coaches at the SEC West level. I know several will pick one or two coaches out of the group and show they have experience but out of 10 coaching positions, Ole Miss position coaches for the most part not being looked at by any other SEC West teams which is your competition year in and year out. I don't care about comparing with other conferencs or the SEC East teams as we don't play them consistently year in and year out like we have to our side of the conference. So looking at the above I don't think we will be better than we were this past year. Just My Honest Opinion.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Freeze definitely took a chance on these hires, and his job will be at stake with these. Another year next year like this one, and he could be gone. His OC hire helped us lose Akers, but who knows how much the ncaa kept us from hiring a better OC. Pulling for Freeze, I think he can bring in the talent if he can right the ship.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food