what's the expectations next year

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

GeorgiaREB
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Ok Freeze is changing some Coordinators for next year I sure hope things get better quickly. Since admittedly I've been the most vocal about getting rid of Freeze for failing to deliver more success on the field, for failing to provide more leadership to our young men by letting the 2 Bama wins totally inflate the egos of our team and putting very poor performances and costing us at least 1 trip to Atlanta, and bringing the NCAA potentially down on us. What kind of results will it take on the field next year for him to be secure on keeping his job? I personally expect to see a minium of 7 ( but I'll be unhappy with anything less than 8) wins with as many cupcakes we have on the schedule next year or he needs to be packing his stuff.

o
k
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

15-0 or send him packing.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GeorgiaREB wrote:Ok Freeze is changing some Coordinators for next year I sure hope things get better quickly. Since admittedly I've been the most vocal about getting rid of Freeze for failing to deliver more success on the field, for failing to provide more leadership to our young men by letting the 2 Bama wins totally inflate the egos of our team and putting very poor performances and costing us at least 1 trip to Atlanta, and bringing the NCAA potentially down on us. What kind of results will it take on the field next year for him to be secure on keeping his job? I personally expect to see a minium of 7 ( but I'll be unhappy with anything less than 8) wins with as many cupcakes we have on the schedule next year or he needs to be packing his stuff.

o
k

You serious, Clark?
Chucky_38
All American
All American

I'd say he just needs a winning season. Even 7-6 would be a big jump. To me the main concern is the NCAA investigation. All I heard from Freeze for four years was bible quotes and challenges to catch him and his staff cheating. If the NCAA finds anything of substance and we are punished with sanctions worse than our self imposed ones, Freeze can hit the road for being a liar and a cheat. If Dan Mullen can consistently churn out winning teams in a place like Starkville without bringing the NCAA on him, we should be able too as well.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WOW! We had a down year. We are under investigation of bs cause of but hurt folks from the ego inflated schools. We had major amount of injuries. The biggest complaint I had was we should have been better at linebacker and oline. 5-7 is as bad as it could get. That is a down year for those ego schools too not the 2-10 with no hope like it used to be. Yet just one ball bounce right and we were minimum 6-6. Again down year. With all that is going on I say Freeze aint doin bad. As for the changing of the guard it was time. When Freeze came we were a dumpster fire so it was great we got the assistants we got. Now things could actually turn upwards even with the investigation (which has been worse than any punishment that they would give). Things happen and we still have some players to work with. Things happen and recruiting aint over. Things happen and we got some assistants that seem to be a great choice. Yes I think our record will show better than last year. Schedule lays out better and these players have some talent. Go to atlanta? Well we got some brick walls in our way that must be blown thru (ie alabama, auburn, lsu, atm, ark and msu). Guess what? Those teams have players too as well as coaches. They have the same expectations but you can bet one or more will have a "down year" for various reasons. 5-7 6-6 can happen to us or anybody but bama. 8-4 or 9-3 would be down for bama and you can bet if that happens it will be losses to the west not the east or ooc. I'm still ok with all this except for the thing that i want the investigation over, done and settled to the point we don't hear of it again. As for that investigation, I hope other schools are worried about what is going on. There isn't a coach or ad that would want the ncaa to rent space on their property for five years looking for something, anything, that they could find. A perpetual investigation should scare all of them if our case is the new norm for investigations. So a good year next year? 8-4 or better. Ok with me year? no less that 7-5. Personally I think we will have plenty of team to do those and if that ball bounces our way maybe that or better will happen. Its why we yell hotty toddy and catch every game.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Chucky_38 wrote:I'd say he just needs a winning season. Even 7-6 would be a big jump. To me the main concern is the NCAA investigation. All I heard from Freeze for four years was bible quotes and challenges to catch him and his staff cheating. If the NCAA finds anything of substance and we are punished with sanctions worse than our self imposed ones, Freeze can hit the road for being a liar and a cheat. If Dan Mullen can consistently churn out winning teams in a place like Starkville without bringing the NCAA on him, we should be able too as well.
Dan Mullen...really, you're going to reference Dan Mullen? Let it be known that Dan, the savior of MSU football, is 5-34 vs ranked teams. Let that sink in for a minute. Additionally, just where was OM when Freeze resurrected this program? Has it been that long since Houston Nutt threw the program in the dumpster? Has Freeze made some mistakes? Sure...as have every coach in FBS football. Give him a chance to correct his mistakes before backing the U-Haul up to his back door.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Chucky_38
All American
All American

CrossroadsReb wrote:
Chucky_38 wrote:I'd say he just needs a winning season. Even 7-6 would be a big jump. To me the main concern is the NCAA investigation. All I heard from Freeze for four years was bible quotes and challenges to catch him and his staff cheating. If the NCAA finds anything of substance and we are punished with sanctions worse than our self imposed ones, Freeze can hit the road for being a liar and a cheat. If Dan Mullen can consistently churn out winning teams in a place like Starkville without bringing the NCAA on him, we should be able too as well.
Dan Mullen...really, you're going to reference Dan Mullen? Let it be known that Dan, the savior of MSU football, is 5-34 vs ranked teams. Let that sink in for a minute. Additionally, just where was OM when Freeze resurrected this program? Has it been that long since Houston Nutt threw the program in the dumpster? Has Freeze made some mistakes? Sure...as have every coach in FBS football. Give him a chance to correct his mistakes before backing the U-Haul up to his back door.
I'd also like to add that as far back as October I heard Freeze was tired of all the negative recruiting coming out of Starkville and was not holding back in the Egg Bowl. Full speed ahead. Then he proceeded to field a team that allowed the worst State team in 7 years to destroy us with a no name qb who couldn't even complete 50 percent of his passes. I'm sorry but when you are 5-5 and all you need is a win vs vandy (which you should always get) or a win vs a 4-7 state team on your home field, and you get blown out twice? You deserve anything that comes your way.

As for Mullen, I don't like the guy any more than the rest of Rebel nation, and I don't want him. But let's be honest and clear, he's 60-42 at state. He's 5-3 against OM. He's 4-2 in bowls. He produced 6 straight winning seasons. He wins with two and three star players he develops. These are indisputable facts. I'm not saying I want his exact results in Oxford. I'm saying if he can do that there, without NCAA probation, then by God we should be doing better. We have a higher ceiling as a program. In five years under Freeze, we are 39-24. Mullen is 39-24 during that same span. We have a 3-2 record vs them, some better wins and a Sugar Bowl. I'm not calling for his job. I love Freeze as a person. I believe he reps us well. And I believe his program is light years beyond where we were prior to his arrival, but I also believe we can do better and we can do it without the NCAA. Just my opinion.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I don't think there's any other expectations than a good year next year. As a program, we have to expect that. I understand there is a realistic side of it that some may feel we aren't at the point to expect 9-10 win seasons but I disagree. There isn't any reason we couldn't have done that this past year. Another season like this one next year and Freeze is on the hot seat without a doubt.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

WildRebel wrote:I don't think there's any other expectations than a good year next year. As a program, we have to expect that. I understand there is a realistic side of it that some may feel we aren't at the point to expect 9-10 win seasons but I disagree. There isn't any reason we couldn't have done that this past year. Another season like this one next year and Freeze is on the hot seat without a doubt.
Agreed. At the very least we should be 6-6 right now.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I just hope we make a bowl next year. The talent on the defensive side of the ball needs some help. Kinda thin on that side of the ball. And we don't know how these new, untried coaches will do. Freeze is taking a chance on these hires, but it's his to take. I'm behind him unless next year is like this year. Hopefully it won't be and we at least make a punk bowl, something we couldn't do this year.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Freeze is 39-24 in five years but he inherited a dumpster fire of a program that won two games the year before he got here. Lie last year or not but he has over achieved in his time here. last year was a step back but over all he's ahead of the game.

I'm not sure I would call Alabama, LSU, Auburn. Arkansas and Texas A&M cupcakes. As far as that goes I'm not sure I would call CAL, Vanderbilt, Kentucky or MSU cupcakes. Winnable certainly but cupcakes, no. You have to realize OM played the hardest schedule in the entire country last year after losing three first round draft picks and fielding a very young team. Along with the injuries that happened and most can see how things unraveled. It didn't help that we started a true freshman QB the last three games of the season.

Freeze has been here five years. He is 3-1 in bowl games including a Sugar Bowl win. Yes, I said he won the Sugar bowl. If anybody thinks that is underperforming I highly suggest switching and being a Alabama fan but oh wait, he's also beaten them two out of the last three years.

Not one person who's come on this board wanting to get rid of Freeze has come up with one name of anybody who would be a upgrade who we stand a chance of hiring. It seems to me we have some who want to fire our coach and HOPE we get lucky with his replacement. Yea, that sounds like a sound game plan.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I was on the "he inherited a dumpster fire" a couple of years ago. That excuse is worn thin. he's had ample time to right the ship and the season he put together this past season has me scratching my head. I've never said fire Freeze and don't necessarily think he needs to be AT THIS POINT. But, I do think we should start preparing for a new coach come next year if we go through another one. Believe me, those boosters pumping money in to this program feel the same. IMO, our whole fanbase needs to adapt a new mindset and stop accepting mediocrity because we will forever be bottom dwellers if we don't. I don't want to have to hang my hat on beating Bama 2 years in a row for the rest of my life. Our leaders decided to pay Freeze top tier money and we're getting bottom tier results. A flop like this past year is simply unacceptable and it better turn around quick for his sake.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

The salaries are the problem. Every west team pays 4 million plus. Some pay 5. Some coach will finish last every year. And that fanbase will scream for blood. Truth be told if we want to fire a head coach for finishing last we prolly need to be paying him around 7 or 8 million.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:The salaries are the problem. Every west team pays 4 million plus. Some pay 5. Some coach will finish last every year. And that fanbase will scream for blood. Truth be told if we want to fire a head coach for finishing last we prolly need to be paying him around 7 or 8 million.
Agree
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

Chucky_38 wrote:The salaries are the problem. Every west team pays 4 million plus. Some pay 5. Some coach will finish last every year. And that fanbase will scream for blood. Truth be told if we want to fire a head coach for finishing last we prolly need to be paying him around 7 or 8 million.
True. I understand the competitive rate for SEC coaches is steep. But my point is, he is the third highest paid coach in the league and we finish the season with a 5-7 record. That is unacceptable. He was given a raise based on success and his program took a downward turn.