New Defensive Philosophy

Football Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

OK, bear with me on this. It has been our fear, in recent years, that our "fast" offense puts our D back on the field too quickly. Considering our lack of depth/talent on D, that's a legitimate concern. However, instead of our conservative, "trying not to mess up" approach, maybe we should go to the exact opposite in our defensive philosophy. Pinning our ears back, letting it all hang loose, attacking defense will either result in offensive miscues and/or turnovers, or a quick score. In either case, our defense gets off the field more quickly, and gives the ball back to our explosive offense. I'd rather have our fresh #1s on the field attacking, than walk-on linebackers logging minutes on 3-4 defensive series. It appeared we were just that kind of defense against Vandy on Saturday, and we forced lots of miscues on their part. Besides, what have we got to lose by becoming more aggressive???
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CrossroadsReb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 pm OK, bear with me on this. It has been our fear, in recent years, that our "fast" offense puts our D back on the field too quickly. Considering our lack of depth/talent on D, that's a legitimate concern. However, instead of our conservative, "trying not to mess up" approach, maybe we should go to the exact opposite in our defensive philosophy. Pinning our ears back, letting it all hang loose, attacking defense will either result in offensive miscues and/or turnovers, or a quick score. In either case, our defense gets off the field more quickly, and gives the ball back to our explosive offense. I'd rather have our fresh #1s on the field attacking, than walk-on linebackers logging minutes on 3-4 defensive series. It appeared we were just that kind of defense against Vandy on Saturday, and we forced lots of miscues on their part. Besides, what have we got to lose by becoming more aggressive???

If our offensive was rolling, I would completely agree. There are a lot of high school teams, that do that very thing and are successful in doing in. The one that comes to mind is Picayune. They are usually pretty salty offensively, they play man on D and force a couple of turnovers and get stops. They feel like if they stop you a few times or get a free one on D, they are so good offensively that will be enough.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Yes please.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!