Governor's Cup

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Pinch Hitter - A baseball player who comes off the bench cold into a game to hit in the place of another player.

See: Cullan Kight!

Bases loaded, 2 out, Cullan Kight comes off the bench cold and gets a base hit up the middle to score two runs and give the Rebels the lead back!

Middle of 6th:

Rebels 4
Pups 3
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:Pinch Hitter - A baseball player who comes off the bench cold into a game to hit in the place of another player.

See: Cullan Kight!

Bases loaded, 2 out, Cullan Kight comes off the bench cold and gets a base hit up the middle to score two runs and give the Rebels the lead back!

Middle of 6th:

Rebels 4
Pups 3
He is definately a MAN!!!! 8)
L. S. WHO?
Justin_P34
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

Oh yes! Go Rebels! Thanks for the Update!
HottyToddy'06
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Justin_P34 wrote:Oh yes! Go Rebels! Thanks for the Update!
we lose, 5-4 bot 9 on a 2 rbi double
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

We've used Bukvick, McKean, and now Baker on the hill. Baker's not pitching too great, but perhaps adequate would be a definition. Not bad, just adequate. Here in the bottom of the 7th Baker gives up a lead-off hit. Then a sac bunt and the throw to 1st by Overbeck hits the runner in the back and goes off into right field. Runners move to 2nd and 3rd, no outs.

Ground out to 3rd. Overbeck looked both runners back then got the out at 1st. Good play for Rebels. One out, no damage.

Double up the 3rd base line and the Mutts re-take the lead. Still 1 out.

Batter pops up right behind the plate. Basham makes the play, 2 out. Runner still at 2nd.

Miller moves out into shallow right-center and makes the catch on a pop-up to end the inning, but not a good one for the Rebels at all.

After 7 complete:

Rebels 4
Pups 5
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
Dude, come on. None of that.
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
Well, I was early. Guess the 2 Run dbl was this inning, and not in the bot 9 to end the game

Hopefully my prediction ends with the dbl, no more runs for the pups PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
L. S. WHO?
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

oxfordrebel wrote:We've used Bukvick, McKean, and now Baker on the hill. Baker's not pitching too great, but perhaps adequate would be a definition. Not bad, just adequate. Here in the bottom of the 7th Baker gives up a lead-off hit. Then a sac bunt and the throw to 1st by Overbeck hits the runner in the back and goes off into right field. Runners move to 2nd and 3rd, no outs.

Ground out to 3rd. Overbeck looked both runners back then got the out at 1st. Good play for Rebels. One out, no damage.

Batter pops up right behind the plate. Basham makes the play, 2 out. Runner still at 2nd.

Miller moves out into shallow right-center and makes the catch on a pop-up to end the inning, but not a good one for the Rebels at all.

After 7 complete:

Rebels 4
Pups 5
Does Baker have the motor to go the rest of the way?
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Logan Power draws a lead-off walk. State starts to warm their closer Rutherford.

Balk puts Power at 2nd. Polk comes out to question it as it was called by the home plate ump rather than the 1st base ump. A valid argument. Tying run at 2nd for the Rebels.

Overbeck grounds out to SS on a great play by the Bulldog SS. The SS had to dive for it then a rocket throw across to nip Overbeck.

Pups go to the bullpen to bring in Rutherford. One out, runner at 2nd.

Power attempts to steal 3rd, the throw down is off and into left field! Power comes home! We're tied up again!!!

Rutherford gets Matt Smith to strikeout. 2 outs.

Zack Miller strikes out to end the inning, but it'll work for the Rebels.

Middle of 8th:

Rebels 5
Pups 5
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

oxpatchreb wrote:
oxfordrebel wrote:We've used Bukvick, McKean, and now Baker on the hill. Baker's not pitching too great, but perhaps adequate would be a definition. Not bad, just adequate. Here in the bottom of the 7th Baker gives up a lead-off hit. Then a sac bunt and the throw to 1st by Overbeck hits the runner in the back and goes off into right field. Runners move to 2nd and 3rd, no outs.

After 7 complete:

Rebels 4
Pups 5
Does Baker have the motor to go the rest of the way?
I don't think so. I think he gets lifted for maybe Bittle or Cryer in the 9th. Baker scares the DOG outta me every time he pitches!!
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Baker walks the lead-off man, a really good base stealer. Expect a sac bunt here.

Base hit into right field. Runners at 1st and 2nd, no outs. Not good. Time for Baker to be pulled, but will Bianco pull him? He heads to the mound.

Yep. Call to the pen. We're going to see Jake Morgan, the RS Frosh.

Morgan gets a flyout, but the go ahead run moves to 3rd. Runners at the corners, 1 out.

Justin Cryer will come in to relieve Morgan.

A double in the right field corner scores the go ahead run for the Pups and puts runners at 2nd and 3rd, still only 1 out.

Walk loads the bases for the Mutts.

Pop-up to SS gives 2 outs, bases still loaded. MUCH needed out!!

Pop-up to SS finishes it off, but damage is done already!

After 8 innings complete:

Rebels 5
Pups 6

Last chance for Rebs...
GO REBELS!!!
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

Cullan Kight fouls out to the deepest part of the right field corner.

Ferguson singles up the middle. Tying run at 1st, one out.

Hubbard strikes out. 2 out. Down to last out.

Ferguson steals 2nd.

Ground out ends the game dadgumit.

Final:

Pups 6
Rebels 5
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Now I'm REALLY *beep*ed at myself for the "RBI double to lose" post......:oops:

We are absolutely snake bit this season. In every sport so far.

If football does this to me (4-1 start to crash and burn during SEC play for a 4-8 season) I'm going to have to seriously consider knitting or sailing or croquet as an alternate past time. This is the source of all that is sucktastical in my life....
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

On a different note, this was probably the last time Ron Polk will ever coach against Ole Miss as the coach of State. Actually, it'll probably be the last time Ron Polk ever coaches against Ole Miss on the diamond.

Love him or hate him, Ron Polk is a heck of a coach. Has been a long time. My love for the Rebels (which is greater than the baseball fan in me) causes this loss to irritate me tonight. But the college baseball fan in me thinks it somewhat fitting that Polk goes out of this series with a win over the in-state rival. Still wish the Rebels had won, but I can respect the State players who are having such a rough season for going out and getting this win for their coach. I'd expect nothing less from our guys if Bianco were retiring.

So here's to the last time we'll probably ever face Ron Polk. Wish him well and glad he's not going to be giving us fits anymore!
GO REBELS!!!
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Random thoughts/comments on the game

-State fans can be pretentious *beep*
-Kyle Mills DHing?!?!?!
-Kyle Mills 2 doubles off the wall? get him more at bats...maybe?
-Cullen Kight PHing for Mills?!?!?
-Cullen Kight doesn't look stupid at the plate and gets a hit?!?!

-Anyone else confused with Bianco's pitching strategy? I mean, Buk getting the start was surprise number one, but he did admirably. His "bad inning" came off two bloop singles, one of which I thought Stuyverson would have gotten to if he read the ball off the bat well at all. Bianco did the right thing in putting Rory in, but Nathan Baker with runners on base? As my friends and I noted at teh game Baker is just not a strike out pitcher. He gets people out on contact so why put him in to work his was out of a jam? I'm just not a Baker fan, never have been.

-Where was Bittle?
-Michael Hubbard pinch hitting? I'd rather of seen Logan Williams out there.
-Also, I'd rather see Cody on the bench during a mid-week game because of his shin splints, or DH him. He was a liability out there in the field, one of State's doubles down the left field line a healthy Cody may have attempted a dive to stop it, but not this Cody. Also, his lack of mobility cost him when he got robbed of a base hit by the State shortstop.
-State fans behind me really believed Weatherford could be a first round draft pick and liken him to a god.
-Fergie over Stuyverson in my opinion
-Our defense sucks
-If Jordan was playing RF for us those two dropped balls by Travis on diving attempts would have been outs...we really miss him