So who do we return next year from this team?

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Oxfordrebel, I think you might have given us a draft breakdown already earlier in the year as to who you thought would be drafted after the season. But taking this, uh.... "marginal" years performance into account, what's our starting lineup look like for next year?
L. S. WHO?
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Don't know what the line up might look like but we have talent coming back.

Pitchers:
Pomeranz
Irwin
Baker
McKean
Morgan
Bukvich ?
I doubt Bittle will be back.

Infielders:
Ferguson
Miller
Stuyverson
Button ?
Kight
Matt Smith

Outfield:
Henry
Travis
Logan Williams
Gurerro

Catcher
Basham

We also have some younger guys who did not play this year and some incoming guys that may contribute. Micheal Park, the 2 brothers that play 1st and 3rd and the catcher from Geogia (if he's not a high draft).
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

So maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe this years face plant will give a solid group of returning starters a little more motivation for next year. I'm not saying that everyone returning is great, or even good, b/c they've shown just how bad they can play. But at least the team isn't going to be wiped out of our core players.

And if MB so much as sneezes the words "post season" before we're actually IN the post season, I'll salt "2008" in his lawn.
L. S. WHO?
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I want to go back and look at the roster again. I think we'll be better defensively next year (can't be much worse) and I think the offense will be improved. It will be the third season under coach Rod. We saw a lot of potential and promise at the plate, but inconsistency killed us.

Pitching kinda scares me next year. We have some gems, but few that have really been tested in a starting role. Pomeranz is the exception as he's a solid starter who will only get better. McKean is a great pitcher, but not sure how he'd be as a weekend starter. Baker needs an amazing off-season before I'll buy into him again. Morgan has a lot of promise, possibly as the new closer (cause I think we all know Bittle's headed for the farm). I'd love to see Buk back to 2007 form. Irwin might work his way in as a Sunday guy...maybe. He's needs to work on consistency from start to start as well.

Bianco also loves JUCOs so I think we'll probably see a new JUCO pitcher or two come in before next season.

I'll look over the roster before commenting on the other positions.
GO REBELS!!!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Thanks RBD and Oxford,

I was also worried about pitching. Everyone thought it would be our strength this year, but it was not exactly a strong point. It was more consistent than defense and hitting, but it was not the dominant force we thought. With Bittle leaving and our other guys strugging, it's a very worry some aspect.
L. S. WHO?
Heath
All American
All American

What about the Henson boy at catcher? I have not seen or heard of him playing this year. But, from what I remember, he is a JUCO trans., so he should have at least 1 more year. (I'm guessing)
Redbluedude
Rebel Starter
Rebel Starter

Heath wrote:What about the Henson boy at catcher? I have not seen or heard of him playing this year. But, from what I remember, he is a JUCO trans., so he should have at least 1 more year. (I'm guessing)
Yep, Henson is a Jr. I was mainly thinking of ones that had played a good bit this year. Also, Hubbard in the outfield and maybe Cryer will be able to figure things out on the mound for next year.
oxfordrebel
All American
All American

I know Henson got at least one or two at-bats this year and a little bit of time behind the plate.
GO REBELS!!!