Maryland Game 1

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Trent got hammered in the first, lucky to only give up 2... A couple of hits in the bottom half for us, but their ace strikes out 3... Bats have to heat up, and Trent needs to settle down to have a chance.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

1,2,3, we go in the 3rd... 2-0 going to the 4th...
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

3-0.... Wake up Rebs!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Had a 2 out threat in the 4th, some decent at bats, but we strike out for the 6th time to end the inning...
Goroth

Losing game one makes me feel the end is near.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

K, K, K, K, K, K, K, K, I believe this covers it.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Goroth wrote:Losing game one makes me feel the end is near.

Correct... If we lose game 1, we have a 1% shot at winning the regional...
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

30 straight batters without a hit. 2 hits and 15 K's. No hits after the second batter. Unreal. This is just bad baseball.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I don't see it that way. We were warned about Maryland's ace. His pitching took care of our hitting. Maryland did just enough offensively, but it's beyond rare to see back-to-back-to-back doubles right off the bat. This game was truly annoying--Maryland could do nothing wrong.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If it wasn't for us closing the year playing state, doubt we would even be here. During Mike's tenure, the most strike-outs by OM in a season had been 476, which was set in the 2010 season. Tonight, with OM having 15 strike-outs against Maryland, the new mark for K's is now up to 482 .... with more post season coming up .... Just don't think this team is very talented, and next year will be worse with our lack of pitching coming back. Most really good teams reload every year, we aren't doing this. Our recruiting isn't as it should be. Only us and awbarn lost last night, awbarn's being in extra innings. A big 10 team totally shut us down last night, inexcusable.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote: Just don't think this team is very talented, and next year will be worse with our lack of pitching coming back. Most really good teams reload every year, we aren't doing this. Our recruiting isn't as it should be.
I think we will be okay next year. We all knew this year would be a down year. Amazing that a "down year" in baseball ends in meaningful postseason play. That's the only major sport that can say that at OM. In our last game of the year we had SIX starters who were either freshmen or sophomores. We have some good players coming back next year who will have lots of game experience.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

It does suck to end this year like we did but I personaly didn't expect to even make a regional. Proud of them for that accomplishment. Having said that, I don't think its acceptable to think that way. We're coming off the best year we've ever had at Ole Miss finishing, what #3/4, and looked like a completely different team. Granted, we lost a LOT of talent and experience, not to mention a very good coach, BUT I don't think its acceptable.

Maybe it's just me, but Ive been thinking about this the last few weeks. I may be overreacting after our performance but I saw WAY too much inconsistencies this year. I'm not saying Bianco should be fired but I do expect more from him and his staff.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Let's put this in perspective. We got sent to one of the toughest regionals out there. The #1, #1 seed--UCLA-- didn't even make it to the Supers. They were roughed up the same way we were in two of the three games they played against Maryland. Bakersfield was also a tough #4. Don't be surprised if Maryland goes to the CWS. I think we would have done better had we been sent to the ridiculous Lake Elsinore Regional, where that #1 seed--Santa Barbara--was the first to be eliminated. Dallas Baptist was another faux #1 seed that didn't make the Supers. We probably would have done better there, too.

I expect us to be better next year and will not be satisfied with merely going to the tournament again. Bianco is being paid to have us host regionals and beyond. But I'm not going to get too upset one year after finishing third in the nation at the CWS.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I don't know what we would have done in any other regional. This team could hang with best some weekends but then some weekends I feel like that team didn't show up at all and we would lose to the worst. Like I've said all year, there was a boatload of inconsistent play. I think it does go back to coaching and Bianco needs to address it.

I'll throw in the fact that Ole Miss' baseball program is where it is because of Bianco. As fans, we have come to expect big things...nothing wrong with that. Because of this, he has some of the best facilities and fanbase to accommodate a very successful program. I think I'll speak for most when I say merely making a regional is not good enough anymore. It should be Omaha or bust.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

I agree with the above post. We have the fan base and facilities and from time to time we have had the coaching. Hosting is the best way to get to Omaha year after year. Most years, we should be at least hosting. That should be the goal of next year's team--minimum.