My National Seeds

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

d1 baseball had an article this morning that praised Ole Miss for its four straight series wins, saying that Florida State and N.C. State losing series this weekend opens the door for Ole Miss to claim a national seed. They also said they believe Ole Miss deserves a national seed and that if OM wins one game at A & M next weekend, they will get one. I agree. I've previously posted that South Carolina is the team we are competing with for a national seed and that they have taken a nosedive, losing to Kentucky and now A & M. I think a series loss next weekend to 'Bama will definitely keep them out of the running. The committee looks at the last ten games, overall season, RPI, SOS, record against Top 50 RPI teams and league finish. Ole Miss has currently won 9 of its last 11 SEC games, has RPI of 5, SOS of 15, record against Top 50 of 12-10 and no bad losses. None. South Carolina's metrics are not as good across the board. Except they have the tie-breaker against us. But assuming Ole Miss wins 1 game at A & M, this is my prediction for the 8 national seeds:

1. Florida
2. Louisville
3.Miami
4. A & M
5. Miss. State
6.Texas Tech
7. Ole Miss
8. Virginia
------------------

This is Mike Bianco's best coaching job by far.
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

I doubt SC drops the series to Bama. I believe we can control our destiny at this point. Seems like we are right on the edge of getting in and can't help but not believe that if we can somehow take the a&m series, we'll get the national seed. We're playing our best ball of the year and can't think of a better time to get hot.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

WildRebel wrote:I doubt SC drops the series to Bama. I believe we can control our destiny at this point. Seems like we are right on the edge of getting in and can't help but not believe that if we can somehow take the a&m series, we'll get the national seed. We're playing our best ball of the year and can't think of a better time to get hot.

Agree.. Firm hosts, think we have to somehow play awesome baseball and beat a very very good A&M team...
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

While I was watching the Vandy-Florida game, Kyle Peterson said that he really thinks the SEC deserves 7 host spots. I totally agree with him. This is the toughest the SEC has ever been, at least the top half of the league. Ole Miss is a lock to host. What the committee should do is award the SEC 5 national seeds. But this is a gradual progression thing, so they will probably only award 4 national seeds for the first time. But by establishing the precedent of more than five host spots and more than 3 national seeds for the same league, a less-PC seeding will develop. All this talk about 'growing the game' is BS. Giving Michigan a host spot is not going to grow the game 'up North.' The weather just prevents it. Historically, college baseball doesn't draw up there. But hockey is big. Just as it will never be big down here.

Anyway, I can definitely see South Carolina losing the 'Bama series because 'Bama wants to make sure of a bid to the tournament, period. We don't need to take the A & M series to be a national seed. One game should do it. But, if we do take the A & M series, we'll not only get a national seed, but we won't be the last one the committee selects.

Pull for A & M to sweep Carolina today. And then we man up for four very important games.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

Will the national seeds be announced prior to the SEC Tournament, or are we overlooking the effect that tournament wins could have on national seeding?
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

If I remember correctly, the 8 national seeds are announced on Sunday after the league tournaments are over. Then the entire field is announced on Monday. You make a good point. Play in Hoover will likely affect the possibility of a fourth national seed for the SEC. And that would be announced after the SEC Tournament and others are over. If Ole Miss makes the championship game or wins it, I think they will definitely be a national seed. So, yes, games in Hoover will count. In any case, I think the SEC definitely deserves 7 host spots: Florida, A & M, State, Ole Miss, LSU, Vandy and South Carolina.
Rebchuck18
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I think we need to take 2 out of 3 at College Station to get a National Seed. I also think that we can do that. If there is any pressure, it's on the Aggies because they are "expected" to at least win the series.

I like our chances...

BTW...how much mumbo jumbo are college baseball polls? One of them actually has us at #12 and barely had us in top 20 last week!
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

The poll that has us at #12, one spot behind LSU, which we beat, dropped us out entirely three weeks ago and has continued to low-rate us. It's College Baseball News. All the other polls have us in the Top Ten with three of them ranking us at #6, and another at #7. Actually, the committee only casually refers to all the polls. Warren Nolan has our RPI at 5, while the NCAA has us at 7. We will certainly host. As for taking the series at A & M, I do think we can accomplish that. And someone on this thread also mentioned the games played at Hoover. They could factor into the final national seed selections.

Do I think the SEC deserves 7 host spots and 5 national seeds? Yes. But I think we'll get 6 host spots and 4 national seeds, breaking precedent with the previous 5 and 3 restrictions. Team most likely not to host: Vandy. But the committee might send them to the token Big Ten host site (Michigan or Minnesota) as a 1-seed.

Is this the best the SEC has ever been?

Hell, yes. d*** right!
Heath
All American
All American

With as good as A&M are playing, if we take 1 of 3, I will be happy. If we take 2 of 3, I will be thrilled. And if we sweep, I think I may pee in my pants, or get beaten up, as I will be at all 3 games! I think it will take a series win to get us a national seed. I would feel a little differently if there were not so many good SEC teams, but I think the NCAA will not want to give the SEC too many host sites or national seeds. But, we shall see.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

If we continue to crap the bed against Arkansas State, we will be forced to win at least 2 of 3 at A&M... We are down 6-4 Bottom 7...
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We've lost 4 non-conference games this year. And one was to an SEC team. Two were to Louisville and Southern(both currently in the top 20).

Arkansas State is by far the worst team we've lost to this year. A&M lost to Sam Houston State last night. SHS is way better than Ark. State, but neither are in the top 25 in any polls.

That game last night will have absolutely no bearing on a national seed. It all comes down to whether we win this series or not.
Some Random Dude
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:We've lost 4 non-conference games this year. And one was to an SEC team. Two were to Louisville and Southern(both currently in the top 20).

Arkansas State is by far the worst team we've lost to this year. A&M lost to Sam Houston State last night. SHS is way better than Ark. State, but neither are in the top 25 in any polls.

That game last night will have absolutely no bearing on a national seed. It all comes down to whether we win this series or not.
Right. The Arkansas State loss, though irritating, meant nothing. We went from 5 to 6 in the RPI--negligible drop. I think both Ole Miss and A & M were looking ahead to their matchup this weekend. Meanwhile, Raffo is now 2-15 against Bianco, and his team hit the ball unconsciously all night. I understand from the broadcast that the wind was blowing out like crazy.

If we win the A & M series and South Carolina loses the 'Bama series, I think we get a national seed.
If we don't win it and they still lose the 'Bama series, we still have work to do at Hoover.
If we lose the A & M series and crap out at Hoover, we will just host.