d1baseball's 8 National Seeds--5/27/16 (good news!)

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Kendall Rogers has revised his national seeds this morning based on Thursday's tournament games across the country. Based on Hoover results, he says both Ole Miss and LSU are his two new national seeds, replacing South Carolina and Virginia. In no particular order, he says Miami, Louisville, Florida, Miss. State, Texas Tech, Ole Miss, A & M and LSU are worthy of national seeds. He says that although no league has ever gotten more than three national seeds, he says this year is very unusual and that the SEC deserves 5 NC's and 7 host spots. Vandy and South Carolina would be the other two host sites. He says that other than Texas Tech, there is no team anywhere with metrics better than the five SEC teams he has named for national seeding.

He is absolutely correct. The four SEC semi-finalists on Saturday should all be national seeds. Of course, there is the PC Factor, and Ray Tanner is one of the nine AD's on the committee and the only one representing the SEC. He must recuse himself whenever South Carolina is discussed, but you do wonder if the other AD's will want to please him by sticking with South Carolina as a national seed. Kendall points out that the Gamecocks have been trending downward the last twelve games (6-6) and that the 0-2 performance in Hoover was unimpressive and that they should have won at least one game to continue to make their case for a national seed.

If we win Saturday's game, there is no question in my mind that we will be a national seed. But even if we don't, Rogers says that our body of work (5 RPI and 9 SOS right now), plus 21 SEC wins counting the Hoover wins and 43 wins overall right now and series wins over Louisville and LSU are just too impressive to ignore. BTW, A & M and State lead the series wins metric with 9. South Carolina, Ole Miss and LSU follow with 6. I know we have to keep the bats hot for Saturday, but we do get the day's rest while A & M and Vandy have to play another game.

Life is good.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

I hate to say it, but we would have benefited yesterday if MSU had beaten LSU. MSU is a lock on being a seed, so even if they lose today, they will be seeded. LSU is still fighting for a seed spot like us.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

If Kendall Rogers is right, it won't matter. Both Ole Miss and LSU will get national seeds. If it comes down to either/or, we do have the series win tiebreaker. But I think he's right. It won't be a question of fighting for a fourth national seed. The SEC will get five. LSU has escaped so many games, you'd swear they had nine lives. That rally possum crap is getting old, though.

Frankly, I think the SEC is just so good this year that the committee will have to fall in line.