OM vs TCU Sunday

Baseball Related Discussions

Moderators: oxfordrebel, Rebel Security

cajunrebel

My thoughts (not all about the TCU game). . . . took my two kids to the game yesterday vs TCU. Girl 12 - boy 9. They love everything Ole Miss and were very excited to get to see them here in Houston and see so many other people with Rebel gear on. We had as many people as TCU there which was surprising given location and bad weather on a Sunday. Within 2 innings they were bored out of their skulls, as was I. Our guys looked very uninspired and we had way too many players take strike 3 while looking. That said, if what I saw from my kids and others in the stand is any indication, baseball will be a dead sport soon. None of the kids were paying attention b/c it was such a slow pace and very tedious to watch. My son quit playing last year because he said it was boring. He plays soccer, rugby and basketball and likes to keep moving. I know it's more exciting in our stadium on campus but dang, they(and we) needed a few shots of esspresso or red bull. Anywho, we got swept by the Big 12. . . .super.
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here
Hagar
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball nowadays is all about the Venue and the crowd and the Organ player and the Announcer. Very few people even understand that baseball is a game of statistics and numbers and advantages...I blame the "baseball world talking heads" for lack of educating the public to its nuances. Baseball is a game that you "GROW" into understanding. It is the hardest game played as a sport, that is why it isn't "timed". It is designed to make every player fail in every scenario at every level. It's nuances are subtle and the fans attention span and focus is stretched to beyond completion...I would love to see a youtube video just to explain how to keep a scorecard for baseball. I would be willing to bet that 95% of baseball big time fans even know how to score a game.

I have heard it said once (that) "It is possible to enjoy music without fully understanding it; but the greatest enjoyment comes with the greatest understanding." author unknown.
Later,
Hagar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I guess the big 12 showed the SEC how baseball is suppose to be played. 7-2 in the games, not a good showing by our league.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
WildRebel
All SEC
All SEC

cajunrebel wrote:My thoughts (not all about the TCU game). . . . took my two kids to the game yesterday vs TCU. Girl 12 - boy 9. They love everything Ole Miss and were very excited to get to see them here in Houston and see so many other people with Rebel gear on. We had as many people as TCU there which was surprising given location and bad weather on a Sunday. Within 2 innings they were bored out of their skulls, as was I. Our guys looked very uninspired and we had way too many players take strike 3 while looking. That said, if what I saw from my kids and others in the stand is any indication, baseball will be a dead sport soon. None of the kids were paying attention b/c it was such a slow pace and very tedious to watch. My son quit playing last year because he said it was boring. He plays soccer, rugby and basketball and likes to keep moving. I know it's more exciting in our stadium on campus but dang, they(and we) needed a few shots of esspresso or red bull. Anywho, we got swept by the Big 12. . . .super.
Disagree about the baseball being dead comment. Baseball attendance is growing each year in the bigs. Ole miss just set records against east Carolina for attendance. College baseball has never been a popular sport as a whole. On top of that, we played bad baseball this past weekend so that kind of set the tone.