Top 25, the way it should be

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Because I said so...

http://mvn.com/ncaa-mississippi/

The site has a blurb I wrote about each team, but incase you want to miss out on my amazing insight here it is sans excess babbling.

1. UNC
2. Memphis
3. Kansas
4. UCLA
5. Washington State
6. Michigan State
7. Tennessee
8. Duke
9. Georgetown
10. TAMU
11. Marquette
12. Pitt
13. Indiana
14. Texas
15. Vandy
16. Ole Miss
17. Clemson
18. Nova
19. Dayton
20. Butler
21. Arizona
22. Rhode Island
23. Wisconsin
24. Miami
25. USC
maroby001
Scout Team
Scout Team

Totally agree 100%
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while, and you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

No problems with that.
Randy
done

Okay, so the regular poll has them in the Archie spot (eighteen)

You have them in the Peyton spot (16) (college Peyton)

I say next week, let's shoot for the Eli spot

With the ultimate goal by year end of having the vaunted Fourcade spot!!!!

Go Rebs!
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:Okay, so the regular poll has them in the Archie spot (eighteen)

Go Rebs!
D**n Chuck,

You've definitely got the thinking cap on huh? Nice job!!
L. S. WHO?
done

Seriously, I am really just now paying attention to basketball and based upon our early play (particularly at the all important point guard position) and what is lining up to be a seemingly very poor year for the SEC beyond us Vandy and TN, I think we could end up with some gaudy numbers in the win column if we keep up our level of play and hold down the turnovers.

And once you get into the dance, teams with good guard play tend to advance the farthest. I think that bodes well for us as our young guards will in effect have a whole year of experience under their belt by tourney time.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:Seriously, I am really just now paying attention to basketball and based upon our early play (particularly at the all important point guard position) and what is lining up to be a seemingly very poor year for the SEC beyond us Vandy and TN, I think we could end up with some gaudy numbers in the win column if we keep up our level of play and hold down the turnovers.

And once you get into the dance, teams with good guard play tend to advance the farthest. I think that bodes well for us as our young guards will in effect have a whole year of experience under their belt by tourney time.
Here, here!!! :)
L. S. WHO?
bleuwolfe
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Rebchuck18 wrote:Okay, so the regular poll has them in the Archie spot (eighteen)

Go Rebs!
Good one Chuck! :lol:
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Rebchuck18 wrote:Seriously, I am really just now paying attention to basketball and based upon our early play (particularly at the all important point guard position) and what is lining up to be a seemingly very poor year for the SEC beyond us Vandy and TN, I think we could end up with some gaudy numbers in the win column if we keep up our level of play and hold down the turnovers.

This actually is not true. I was debating this with a friend the other day and when I was looking for some stats to back up my argument I came across this. I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just saying.

I'll start with the stats. Here are the last 6 national championship teams in the NCAA and the percentage of their scoring that came from the front court.

Florida — 40.2 percent
North Carolina — 47.2 percent
Uconn - 37.3 percent
Syracuse — 51.2 percent
Maryland — 38.1 percent
Duke — 47.9 percent

As you can see the bulk of the scoring seems to be coming from the front court, but that isn't even the reason why it's so vital to having good post players. You have to guys on the blocks to play defense and rebound for you in the tournament, when you run into these Mid-Majors who throw four guards at you who do nothing but shoot threes you will get beat if you can't assert dominance on the offensive end down low or rebound and limit second chance opportunities. This is why guard dominated teams don't do as well in the Big Dance.

Just look at last year's final four. We had Florida (Joakim Noah and Al Horford being the two best players on the team) Georgetown (Roy Hibbert)
Ohio State (Greg Oden) and UCLA (Aboya, Mata, and Mbah A Moute)

In 2006 it was more of the same with LSU (Glen Davis), UCLA (add Ryan Hollins) and Florida again, and George Mason (fluke).

The trend continues the further you go back, I would say the only year that it may not be as accurate was 2000 when Florida and Michigan State met up, two heavily guard oriented teams, but great guards.

Right now we're averaging 89.4 PPG and 34.6 PPG from our front court. That averages out to about 39% of our point coming from the frount court. I included Curtis, Parnell, Williams, Watson, and White in compiling that. That's a pretty solid number, especially considering we tend to run our offense around the perimeter. One night you are going to have a game where the shots are falling from the outside and you need to rely on your bigs, we've had those nights and we're still undefeated.
done

MtownRebel wrote:

This actually is not true. I was debating this with a friend the other day and when I was looking for some stats to back up my argument I came across this. I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just saying.

I'll start with the stats. Here are the last 6 national championship teams in the NCAA and the percentage of their scoring that came from the front court.

Florida — 40.2 percent
North Carolina — 47.2 percent
Uconn - 37.3 percent
Syracuse — 51.2 percent
Maryland — 38.1 percent
Duke — 47.9 percent

As you can see the bulk of the scoring seems to be coming from the front court, but that isn't even the reason why it's so vital to having good post players. You have to guys on the blocks to play defense and rebound for you in the tournament, when you run into these Mid-Majors who throw four guards at you who do nothing but shoot threes you will get beat if you can't assert dominance on the offensive end down low or rebound and limit second chance opportunities. This is why guard dominated teams don't do as well in the Big Dance.

Just look at last year's final four. We had Florida (Joakim Noah and Al Horford being the two best players on the team) Georgetown (Roy Hibbert)
Ohio State (Greg Oden) and UCLA (Aboya, Mata, and Mbah A Moute)

In 2006 it was more of the same with LSU (Glen Davis), UCLA (add Ryan Hollins) and Florida again, and George Mason (fluke).

The trend continues the further you go back, I would say the only year that it may not be as accurate was 2000 when Florida and Michigan State met up, two heavily guard oriented teams, but great guards.

Right now we're averaging 89.4 PPG and 34.6 PPG from our front court. That averages out to about 39% of our point coming from the frount court. I included Curtis, Parnell, Williams, Watson, and White in compiling that. That's a pretty solid number, especially considering we tend to run our offense around the perimeter. One night you are going to have a game where the shots are falling from the outside and you need to rely on your bigs, we've had those nights and we're still undefeated.
I need to clarify....I didn't mean teams that play four guards or are guard "dominated" or teams that have guards as leading scorers....I am talking about teams that have guards that distribute the ball and quarterback the team well...what I am basically talking about is point guard play.

Also, are the %'s you listed the scoring for front court? IF so then, the majority of scoring has been from the backcourt on all of those teams except the Orangemen. Maybe those are actually the %'s of the backcourt scoring.

Either way, I was tallking about guards quarterbacking the team, not just scoring.

And either way, I think we will be in good shape.
MtownRebel
3rd String
3rd String

Technically a backcourt is comprised of your point guard and shooting guard while your front court consists of your center and forwards...small and power. I left small forwards out of this, but if I added Polynice and Huertas it would be above 50 percent of the scoring.