Depaul drops #17 Nova 84-76...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

That ought to help out the old RPI!

13-0 is getting better and better each day!
Randy
leshardin
Water Boy
Water Boy

I guess we were thinking the same thing
rewalters
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

leshardin wrote:I guess we were thinking the same thing
Great minds think alike I guess. :lol:
Randy
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

It has actually dropped to 18.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
----- Foxsports power ranking OM at #14
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

USCrebel wrote:It has actually dropped to 18.
Can someone explain why?
L. S. WHO?
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

oxpatchreb wrote:
Can someone explain why?
The RPI is 50% our record, 25% the average of our opponent's record, and 25% the record of our opponent's opponents. So, even though DePaul beat Villanova, their opponents average record was 6-4.

1.000(.50)+600(.25)+.41(.25)
.500+.150+.100=.750

And that is just for DePaul. Other teams we played are even worse. If we sweep at home and get half our road games we should end up with about a 26 or 27th place RPI.
It's not insane to suggest that the Rebels have the best defensive line in college football.
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

USCrebel wrote:
oxpatchreb wrote:
Can someone explain why?
The RPI is 50% our record, 25% the average of our opponent's record, and 25% the record of our opponent's opponents. So, even though DePaul beat Villanova, their opponents average record was 6-4.

.500+.150+.100=.750

And that is just for DePaul. Other teams we played are even worse. If we sweep at home and get half our road games we should end up with about a 26 or 27th place RPI.
Okay, the math makes sense. And I do understand how we arrive at the RPI. But why would it drop when a team we've beaten, beats another very good team? It seems as though it should go UP when a team we've beaten, beats another team with a good record.

P.S. I know that took alot of stat investigation, thanks!!! :)
L. S. WHO?
done

Maybe it is a kind of circular reasoning. Because DePaul beats Villanova, Villanova's RPI goes down, which makes DePaul's schedule in fact weaker, which brings down the value of our victory over DePaul even though DePaul beat a higher ranked team than us. Maybe if Depaul lost to Villanova, their strength of schedule would increase which might make our victory over DePaul stronger, so perhaps we would have been better off if DePaul had actually lost the game....Okay now I have a headache. I better go get some of that Tylenol I brought back from Canada with the codeine in it

Now I know who develops the RPI. It MUST be the Treasury Department because this sounds an awful lot like the Income Tax Code and Regulations! 8)
oxpatchreb
All American
All American

Rebchuck18 wrote:Maybe it is a kind of circular reasoning. Because DePaul beats Villanova, Villanova's RPI goes down, which makes DePaul's schedule in fact weaker, which brings down the value of our victory over DePaul even though DePaul beat a higher ranked team than us. Maybe if Depaul lost to Villanova, their strength of schedule would increase which might make our victory over DePaul stronger, so perhaps we would have been better off if DePaul had actually lost the game....Okay now I have a headache. I better go get some of that Tylenol I brought back from Canada with the codeine in it

Now I know who develops the RPI. It MUST be the Treasury Department because this sounds an awful lot like the Income Tax Code and Regulations! 8)
HAHAHAHA!!!! My head is also now mush...... but I asked for it!!!

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. In a "VooDoo economics" type of way.
:lol:
L. S. WHO?
USCrebel
2nd String
2nd String

oxpatchreb wrote:
USCrebel wrote:
oxpatchreb wrote: Can someone explain why?

.500+.150+.100=.750

Okay, the math makes sense. And I do understand how we arrive at the RPI. But why would it drop when a team we've beaten, beats another very good team? It seems as though it should go UP when a team we've beaten, beats another team with a good record.

P.S. I know that took alot of stat investigation, thanks!!! :)
Remember is the average W/L of EVERY team we play and EVERY team they play. Things begin to stabilize once conference play begins because the pool of teams are more easily compared.