Thoughts on last 2 games?

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

Utah shot lights out, but is the Rebel defense more of the same from last year? Marshall shot great today also. Remember last year, every team shot it's best against us. I think that both of these teams were fired up for the Rebels though because they were coming off losses. Still defense has to get better.

Warren and Huertas both leading the team right now with no steady contribution from any of the big men. I've been to both home games and listened on the radio. Cranston showed promise in game 1, but has done nothing since. Henry or Holloway will emerge I feel, but you still need Cranston or White to play better. 2 of the 4 must be regular contributors for the Rebels to do anything this year.

I'm hoping we're going to grow by leaps and bounds over the course of the next few games before West Virginia comes to town on Dec 3.

One last comment--the student section support for the 1st two home games is pitiful. The South Alabama game, I bet there weren't 200 students there. Tuesday night well before holiday breaks so don't have that excuse. Really embarassing to me.
dgmcdowe
2nd String
2nd String

I've been for all of the home games, including exhibition, and while I agree with you, it's on the university to do a little more advertising. With all this talk about how awesome Ole Miss is in football, nobody is doing anything about rebel hoops. I have season tickets, and I have to look at them to remind myself if we have games, because the U is just not pushing the season to the students. We've got a lot of work to do to overcome our football mentality.
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

-William Faulkner
done

I hope we NEVER overcome our football mentality. Basketball is great, but it is number 2 at best.

We will get interested as soon as football is over. Because basketball has a playoff system, games don't really even start to matter for sometime now :lol:
fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

It has nothing to do with football mentality or competing with other sports. If you are on campus, in Oxford, or the nearby area, most especially students, then why don't you go to a basketball game? With the team's vast improvement under Kennedy and the bright future of the program, it's a no brainer. It's a cheap ticket and you've got the best view that you're going to find for a basketball game. The West Virginia game's crowd was not good either and WV is a perennial power with an interesting coach. It was great entertainment I tell you. The student section was much better than it was for the other games, but still maybe 75% full.
I love all the big 3 sports but as a family man I must say I catch the football games on TV and radio more just because of the price and time commitment. That doesn't mean I'm less passionate about football but I watch/listen to every game. In my opinion, football is better on TV unless you've got the perfect seats maybe. Basketball is better in person as is baseball.
Long story short, basketball attendance is dismal considering where the program is and is headed and there's really no excuse for it.
ekmjr1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I thought the crowd was decent for the WV game considering it was a Wednesday night with an 8:00 PM start time. I think if it would have been on a Friday or Saturday night, the place might have filled up. We aren't going to get much more than locals for a Wed night game with that late of a start.

The students that were there were rowdy as usual. Once football is over and if we stay competetive, attendance will pick up. I also have to say that I don't know if I will renew my season tickets again going forward. The seating in TSC is the worst I've ever seen. By the time the game is over, my knees are killing me from digging into the seat in front of me. I can't believe that these seats even meet minimal codes for seating requirements. It's pathetic! Anyone near or over 6 ft can't sit in the seat normally. I honestly can't sit through the entire game and really enjoy it due to the fact that I'm miserable sitting in that seat that was designed for elementary school kids. I'm 6'2", but there are plenty of people that are taller than me, so I don't know how they do it?

I know it takes money to fix issues like this, but they should never have replaced the old seats with new ones if they weren't going to meet basic seating needs. We finally got smart and upgraded our football facilities, and the practice facility is a good start for basketball, but we need a better arena if we want to build the fan base in this sport.