Bad 1st half.

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

fastbrk4
Rebel Recruit
Rebel Recruit

I'm confused by comments I read here. What do we mean when we are talking discipline? Do you mean basketball discipline or personal/life discipline. One--I've never heard of any of the basketball players having off the court problems. I've only missed about 10 home games for the last 22 years and one thing I've noticed about Ole Miss players is they are always very sportsmanlike, have great attitudes, don't showboat, etc. Compare that to what you see out of players from other schools.

For some, winning is all that matters anyway. Oftentimes "problem" players are the "best" players, but the best players that Ole Miss have produced have always been good people--Gerald Glass, Rahim Lockhart, Keith Carter, Justin Reed, etc, -- these are just a few that come to mind. Not NBA all-stars but nonetheless they were good college players and good people.

If we're talking basketball discipline then I assume we're talking defense, rebounding, and shot selection. One game earlier, all of the above looked great against Arkansas, granted Arkansas played a lousy game, but made a couple of runs that Ole Miss pushed back. Against LSU, Terrico White was running the point for the 2nd time in his college career. You will look like crap when you are playing a position for the 2nd time at the college level. Ole Miss had 4 and 1 sophomore on the floor during much of the game.

Instead of discipline, I think you mean they are inconsistent. Show me a team that you can take away their 2 best players and 6th man and switch point guards in your first SEC game and have consistent performance. This is unrealistic. This is a brand new team, not a 3rd year team that AK is working with here. Ed Murphy years, "exciting"? I about fell out of my chair. 1000 fans, me one of them, students with paper bags over their heads, getting pounded by 40 and 50 points by Prairie View A&M--exciting??? The two years Ed had Glass were wasted. We should have been in the NCAA tourney for 2 years and instead we made one NIT.

Sometimes I don't know why I read this board because we have some very uneducated basketball fans.
done

Inconsistency is a byproduct of lack of discipline.

The style of play lacks discipline. It is like "let's jack enough up and some will surely drop". And our defense is inconsistent, which is a result of lack of discipline and emphasis on it. Barnes and Evans teams knew if they didn't play defense they would be jerked from the floor.

It appears that we have a bunch of athletes but precious few basketball players...even when we were healthy.

The best comparison I have is that watching basketball under AK reminds me a whole lot of watching football under Orgeron.
rebeldevotee
Scout Team
Scout Team

Rebchuck18 wrote:Inconsistency is a byproduct of lack of discipline.

The style of play lacks discipline. It is like "let's jack enough up and some will surely drop". And our defense is inconsistent, which is a result of lack of discipline and emphasis on it. Barnes and Evans teams knew if they didn't play defense they would be jerked from the floor.

It appears that we have a bunch of athletes but precious few basketball players...even when we were healthy.

The best comparison I have is that watching basketball under AK reminds me a whole lot of watching football under Orgeron.
Woah lets not get crazy now. That is a little extreme. Under AK we have overachieved his first 2 years which we were picked to finish last in both. And we were able to make it to the NIT in years where we were not supposed to be very good. Not the end result I want every year mind you but better than we were expected to do. Under Orgeron we weren't ever close to finishing better than expected and underachieved what was even low expectations.
jeffssportsblog.wordpress.com
done

rebeldevotee wrote:
Rebchuck18 wrote:Inconsistency is a byproduct of lack of discipline.

Woah lets not get crazy now. That is a little extreme. Under AK we have overachieved his first 2 years which we were picked to finish last in both. And we were able to make it to the NIT in years where we were not supposed to be very good. Not the end result I want every year mind you but better than we were expected to do. Under Orgeron we weren't ever close to finishing better than expected and underachieved what was even low expectations.

Ak's results have obviously been better....I just mean the consistency and discipline displayed during games