One thing is very clear

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

We need better shooters, something we really don't have right now. Other than Moody and sometimes Snoop, we really have no one. Escobar hopefully will take care of part of that, but we need more shooters. And with most SEC teams stepping up their recruiting, we better get busy.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
14zrebs
Rebel Commitment
Rebel Commitment

rebeljim wrote:We need better shooters, something we really don't have right now. Other than Moody and sometimes Snoop, we really have no one. Escobar hopefully will take care of part of that, but we need more shooters. And with most SEC teams stepping up their recruiting, we better get busy.
We need more muscle and aggressive front court players. Saiz could score 15 to 20 points every game if he was more aggressive and finished his shots in the paint.

Recruiting One lights out shooting guard and an aggressive forward like Rhett would fill our holes.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Malik Newman would be the game changer..
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:Malik Newman would be the game changer..
That would be great, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong and yall make me eat crow daily for a year. But I don't think we get that type player here. But for Ak's system to work, he has to get better shooters. And we need a REAL pg.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

shooters? yes

wide strong body in the paint? yes
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
That would be great, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong and yall make me eat crow daily for a year. But I don't think we get that type player here. But for Ak's system to work, he has to get better shooters. And we need a REAL pg.

I am not slamming AK because I think he has done a solid job in a lot of ways.. I do think he has recruited pretty well, given his circumstances, but surely you would concede that we don't move the ball very well offensively? Thus, making our shots much more contested.. Watch almost any tourney game, and there is a noticeable difference in the way they pass the ball around... I think we have as good of shooters as anybody, but sometimes they don't fall because of how tightly they are contested.. Basketball is usually pretty simple whether its YMCA league or the NBA, the team that scores the easiest, most un contested buckets, usually wins... Look at the BYU game, they shot 50% from 3 hitting 15, but got beat... Nothing easier than a dunk..

I dont understand why you don't think we could get Newman.. If we hire David Sanders as an assistant that might help.. New arena and watching Ole Miss he knows he can literally shoot as much as his heart desires.. That is not the case at UK..
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:

I am not slamming AK because I think he has done a solid job in a lot of ways.. I do think he has recruited pretty well, given his circumstances, but surely you would concede that we don't move the ball very well offensively? Thus, making our shots much more contested.. Watch almost any tourney game, and there is a noticeable difference in the way they pass the ball around... I think we have as good of shooters as anybody, but sometimes they don't fall because of how tightly they are contested.. Basketball is usually pretty simple whether its YMCA league or the NBA, the team that scores the easiest, most un contested buckets, usually wins... Look at the BYU game, they shot 50% from 3 hitting 15, but got beat... Nothing easier than a dunk..

I dont understand why you don't think we could get Newman.. If we hire David Sanders as an assistant that might help.. New arena and watching Ole Miss he knows he can literally shoot as much as his heart desires.. That is not the case at UK..
Our big were missing many at the rim. AK disappointed last night by not attacking the middle more. It didn't matter if our shooters were open or guarded last night, it wasn't going in. I just don't see any top players coming here. Don't see us getting a coach like Pearl unless he's screwed his career away and has no where else to go. Ole Miss and basketball is kinda like oil and water, it just won't mess. And really don't know what will change it. Hope I'm wrong, but that's my opinion.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

When you build your team around guards you are going to be dependent on the jumpshot. Chris Warren, Marshall Henderson and now Stephan Moody. All good players but none that you want to turn loose and build your program on. I agree with MageeRebel on the shooting woes. Ole Miss just doesn't have the shot selection needed. It is the biggest flaw in the whole program. You cannot go down and pass the ball one or two times and expect to shoot a good percentage. It isn't going to happen on any kind of a regular basis. If you will look at any team still in the NCAA tournament you will see that every team left has a good half court offense. They can take the ball down and work it for a decent shot. Most teams will break down defensively within 35 seconds if you will give them the chance. I honestly believe any big man would be crazy to come to Ole Miss. With our style of play the only time he is going to touch the basketball is if he rebounds it. I have not seen a big man post up and receive the ball since Buckner was here. Rhett did a great job with the intermediate game this year but we simply do not have a guy who can post up. That also hurts the shooting because if you don't have a inside game you also don't have a inside out game. When it gets to the point that when you really need a basket and your idea on how to get it is to run a guard off a screen going away from the basket and watching him shoot a twenty foot jumper you need to evaluate how you are doing things. There was a period of about three weeks that this was a pretty good team. They proved that they could play with most any team and then reverted back to the same old style of play. It is and has been utterly frustrating to watch. It doesn't matter who you recruit or who you have unless they play the game better it is going to be more of the same.