So..

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

User avatar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, TN
Contact:

So..

Post by lewindha » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:53 pm

I just read on Rivals that on top of Newman, State also has 4 4 stars lined up for next year.

WTF AK?
Some Random Dude

User avatar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:16 pm
Location: Southaven, Ms.

Re: So..

Post by rebeljim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Why is this surprising? Howland is an excellent hire for them. He has the AAU connections, and can get his players in the NBA. He's a known cheater that can recruit lights out. State's boosters were willing to pay 6 figures for a player, doubt any of ours will do that. state is currently 10th in the nation in recruiting, and that ranking will probably go up. Look for state to be in the top few in the SEC while Howland is here. state tried to play clean under Ray, and u saw where that got them. So if u want to start more hate AK since basketball is starting up, guess now is the time. Get use to this with state, they will continue getting top players as long as Howland is there. Here's an article about state's recruiting.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/11 ... ppi-state/
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food

CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:29 pm
Location: Smithville, MS

Re: So..

Post by CrossroadsReb » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:51 pm

They'll be on probation within 5 years. Then the coaching carousel will begin.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"

User avatar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, TN
Contact:

Re: So..

Post by lewindha » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:53 am

CrossroadsReb wrote:They'll be on probation within 5 years. Then the coaching carousel will begin.
Says every State fan about our football program. But, we say, 'nuh-uh'.

Jim, that wasn't meant to be a knock on AK. At least, I didn't mean it that way.

But, answer me this(and NO ONE EVER DOES WHEN I ASK IT)

If he's such a great coach, and we are such a bad program(we don't 'play the game', etc.), and our rivals are passing us by. Why doesn't he take a job somewhere that does 'play the game' and he can get better players and all that jazz?

That's all I hear now, Howland is an Adidas coach, he has AAU contacts, blah, blah. OK, so either we make adustments and do the same, or we say we don't do that. At what point does it stop being a hinderance and become an excuse?

This is what our program is, and this is what our admin. is willing to do for it. AK knows this and has known it. So deal with it and come up with ways to get players that you can win with(IT CAN BE DONE) under those circumstances, or go somewhere where you have better resources if you don't think you can do that under our current circumstances. Stop making excuses and do what it takes, or go somewhere where you fell you have a better chance to compete.
Some Random Dude

User avatar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:16 pm
Location: Southaven, Ms.

Re: So..

Post by rebeljim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:31 am

lewindha wrote:
CrossroadsReb wrote:They'll be on probation within 5 years. Then the coaching carousel will begin.
Says every State fan about our football program. But, we say, 'nuh-uh'.

Jim, that wasn't meant to be a knock on AK. At least, I didn't mean it that way.

But, answer me this(and NO ONE EVER DOES WHEN I ASK IT)

If he's such a great coach, and we are such a bad program(we don't 'play the game', etc.), and our rivals are passing us by. Why doesn't he take a job somewhere that does 'play the game' and he can get better players and all that jazz?

That's all I hear now, Howland is an Adidas coach, he has AAU contacts, blah, blah. OK, so either we make adustments and do the same, or we say we don't do that. At what point does it stop being a hinderance and become an excuse?

This is what our program is, and this is what our admin. is willing to do for it. AK knows this and has known it. So deal with it and come up with ways to get players that you can win with(IT CAN BE DONE) under those circumstances, or go somewhere where you have better resources if you don't think you can do that under our current circumstances. Stop making excuses and do what it takes, or go somewhere where you fell you have a better chance to compete.
Have no idea why he hasn't applied for another job. I know he likes coaching close to home, and he makes pretty good here, I would think. The class he has coming in the fall appears to be pretty good. Will see after signing day. The new arena will help some, but how much remains to be seen. As for as when will we start doing this or that to get the players needed, u need to ask the the powers that be why we don't spend more money on players like others do.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food

User avatar
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, TN
Contact:

Re: So..

Post by lewindha » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am

And we've done well the last couple of years, but it's clear that other programs in the SEC are upgrading in all aspects, and it seems we could get left behind if we don't get with it. But, it's been like this for a while, it's becoming a bigger problem for us now b/c the other schools are pouring more into their basketball programs.

Being close to home may be a big factor, but I definitely don't get the "I'm loyal to Ole MIss" vibe from him. So, that is why I'm curious as to why he hasn't bolted considering all the things we hear regarding AAU, shoe companies, etc.
Some Random Dude

User avatar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:16 pm
Location: Southaven, Ms.

Re: So..

Post by rebeljim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

lewindha wrote:And we've done well the last couple of years, but it's clear that other programs in the SEC are upgrading in all aspects, and it seems we could get left behind if we don't get with it. But, it's been like this for a while, it's becoming a bigger problem for us now b/c the other schools are pouring more into their basketball programs.

Being close to home may be a big factor, but I definitely don't get the "I'm loyal to Ole MIss" vibe from him. So, that is why I'm curious as to why he hasn't bolted considering all the things we hear regarding AAU, shoe companies, etc.
Again, our big boosters don't care near as much about basketball as they do football. They won't go that extra mile to get the top basketball players like the do for top football players. That's been obvious for a long time. And I'm sure AK likes being close to his parents as they get older in life. But your questions need to be answered by AK and our top boosters. Only they know the real reason. Me, I'm gonna pull for us in basketball, and hope we go dancing again this near. And judging by the latest class, maybe our recruiting is picking up a little.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food

User avatar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 am

Re: So..

Post by JustBlues » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Today is a day to be grateful if your coach is not an Adidas coach. I don't believe that the FBI is finished.

User avatar
GtownRebel
All SEC
All SEC
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:40 pm
Location: Indianapolis

Re: So..

Post by GtownRebel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:02 pm

The FBI said they were just beginning and gave out a phone number for those that want to turn themselves in with evidence. And to top it off, the basketball side of college is the honey hole of the NCAA. It could bring them down too.

User avatar
bbqit
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:29 am
Location: Mississippi Delta

Re: So..

Post by bbqit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm

True and remember all this under the table money should have had tax paid on it. With the FBI its more than university, shoe companies, agents but the parents and players too. This is something the NCAA never was in to but this isn't the NCAA. The FBI might could balance the budget with all the under the table money over the last ten years going thru every ncaa sport. I wonder if they could hit the NCAA for covering up some of this?

User avatar
JustBlues
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 3463
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 am

Re: So..

Post by JustBlues » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Pitino was just placed on unpaid leave. Wow, this is big.

User avatar
bbqit
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:29 am
Location: Mississippi Delta

Re: So..

Post by bbqit » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:33 pm

And the NCAA only had him sitting six games

User avatar
cajunrebel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3299
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:28 am
Location: Houston, Texas b/c of Nawlins

Re: So..

Post by cajunrebel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Get the popcorn out. This is going to get messy. If Adidas is guilty, are we to believe that Nike and Under Armour are squeaky clean?
"I'm a solid verbal."

- Prospect name here

User avatar
bbqit
Head Coach
Head Coach
Posts: 2356
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:29 am
Location: Mississippi Delta

Re: So..

Post by bbqit » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:29 pm

cajunrebel wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm
Get the popcorn out. This is going to get messy. If Adidas is guilty, are we to believe that Nike and Under Armour are squeaky clean?



Darren Heitner @DarrenHeitner
Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation
12:40 PM · Sep 27, 2017 from Fort Lauderdale, FL
1,492 Retweets
1,032 Likes

User avatar
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:16 pm
Location: Southaven, Ms.

Re: So..

Post by rebeljim » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:01 am

Glad all this is coming out. Hopefully it will give us a better chance at winning, if we don't have to go up against AAU coaches and shoe companies. All of this is what I've been yelling about for the last few years, while defending our basketball program. Now yall can see how uneven it's been for us. We are a Nike school, and they never did squat for us. Guess we just weren't big enough for them to waste their time on. Maybe now we won't lose the Johnny O'Bryants of the world. Players we thought we had, only to lose in the last moments. Lord only knows how far this will go. It better go far enough to get state. I want them to burn.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests