Great job by AK and staff and team

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

20-11, 10-8 in conference. Injuries cost us at least 2 games. Big victory today at UT. Hope we cam make a run in Nashville next week, and who knows.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Good to see Saiz step it up today. AK said after the game this was the first time he seemed to be back to his old self before the injury.
CrossroadsReb
Scout Team
Scout Team

I was noticing on ESPN today that the "experts" listed 4 other SEC bubble teams, none of which has 20 wins and 2 of which OM has beaten head-to-head. What have we done wrong not to be getting any consideration? I believe we have top at least make it to the conference tourney finals to have a chance.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

CrossroadsReb wrote:I was noticing on ESPN today that the "experts" listed 4 other SEC bubble teams, none of which has 20 wins and 2 of which OM has beaten head-to-head. What have we done wrong not to be getting any consideration? I believe we have top at least make it to the conference tourney finals to have a chance.
No signature wins. The tiger high and u mass victories didn't do anything cause they were both down. Our losses to George Mason and Ms. St. hurt. Ms. St., S. Car., and K. St. we win with Moody. Unlucky this year with injuries. Newby and Saiz were killers also. The was AK's best coaching job to date. Like what we have coming in next year. Hope the recruiting will get an uptick.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

I agree we'll need to make a run at least to the finals to even get consideration for the Dance. The good news is that the conference tournament is as wide open as ever before.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

Kentucky just got back 3 early season starters. I would think they will be the favorites.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:Kentucky just got back 3 early season starters. I would think they will be the favorites.

Yep... Will be tough to get by Bama Thursday, but IF we do, UK is waiting Friday...
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Glad to see we lowered our expectations enough to enjoy this season. I'm truly saddened to read some felt beating a 17-13 Bama would be "tough" but we had an awesome *sarcasm* 20 win season. Without Kennedy, Moody could beat Bama with any 4 high school players.

I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't see Kennedy taking us deep in the tourney anytime soon.
texasrebel
Scout Team
Scout Team

Yeah....great job AK...missed the NIT as well.....solid coaching job. Can't wait for next year!!!!
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Yeah, year 10 and we don't even make the NIT. I don't know about 'great'.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

We have a ten year track record with our current coach. Why would anyone expect to go to the NCAA tournament. In the last ten years we have gone twice. Once the stars lined up and we won the SEC tournament in a minor miracle and the other we were in a play in game. And speaking of the NCAA tournament, if we even had a average program we would be going on a regular basis. Over half the teams that play Div. one basketball go to the tournament. 128 teams, 68 entries. Ever since Chris Warren every team has been close to the same. One guard shooting it any time they can get it off and four others standing around hoping they can rebound it so they can shoot it also. Our program is a joke. Heck, might as well give him a extension and another raise. It is painfully obvious basketball simply doesn't matter at Ole Miss.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:We have a ten year track record with our current coach. Why would anyone expect to go to the NCAA tournament. In the last ten years we have gone twice. Once the stars lined up and we won the SEC tournament in a minor miracle and the other we were in a play in game. And speaking of the NCAA tournament, if we even had a average program we would be going on a regular basis. Over half the teams that play Div. one basketball go to the tournament. 128 teams, 68 entries. Ever since Chris Warren every team has been close to the same. One guard shooting it any time they can get it off and four others standing around hoping they can rebound it so they can shoot it also. Our program is a joke. Heck, might as well give him a extension and another raise. It is painfully obvious basketball simply doesn't matter at Ole Miss.
Here's the thing. WE have a 10 year track record. Bjork has a 4 yr track record, and in those 4 yrs. we've made it 2 times. No way Bjork is getting rid of AK right now.

IMO, Ole Miss can get to the point(should already be at the point, and maybe we are) that they make the NCAA 40%-50% of the time. I don't think it's too much to ask to at the very least be a bubble team year in and year out.

To completely miss the post-season in year 10 is bad if you ask me.

And we just built a new arena, so I wouldn't say basketball doesn't matter. It does have some catching up to do, though.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:We have a ten year track record with our current coach. Why would anyone expect to go to the NCAA tournament. In the last ten years we have gone twice. Once the stars lined up and we won the SEC tournament in a minor miracle and the other we were in a play in game. And speaking of the NCAA tournament, if we even had a average program we would be going on a regular basis. Over half the teams that play Div. one basketball go to the tournament. 128 teams, 68 entries. Ever since Chris Warren every team has been close to the same. One guard shooting it any time they can get it off and four others standing around hoping they can rebound it so they can shoot it also. Our program is a joke. Heck, might as well give him a extension and another raise. It is painfully obvious basketball simply doesn't matter at Ole Miss.
I was expecting u to finally come out with your bs. From someone who NEVER post when something good is happening. No mention that our injuries were what kept us from a tourney. We lost at least 3 games because of injuries. The loss to bama kept us out of the NIT, and that shouldn't have happened. U should be happy were home instead of being in a tourney. Now u can post. Lord knows u wouldn't say crap if we were dancing. AK knows this year won't be accepted in the future. It appears we are bringing in better talent. But I'll step back and let u have your fun, knowing this is what u live for. And don't say this isn't true. U proved my point when we went dancing after u said we wouldn't. And when we went, u of course quit posting. Enjoy.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

It's the first time since 1974 that the NIT has left out an SEC team that won 20 regular season games and 10 conference games. 20 regular season champs ended up losing their conference tourney, 15 of which ended up in the NIT. The NIT extends automatic invites to any Division I team that wins its regular season conference championship, Ole Miss needed the bulk of those teams to also win their conference tournament and be pulled into the NCAA Tournament. That oversaturated the bracket and pushed Ole Miss out.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Agree on all points except Ole Miss not caring. They did drop the cheese for a new arena, which should help in recruiting, but you are exactly right. If a backup point guard doesn't hit a 3 in the sec tourney, Michael White is the current coach at Ole Miss.