Great job by AK and staff and team

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:It's the first time since 1974 that the NIT has left out an SEC team that won 20 regular season games and 10 conference games. 20 regular season champs ended up losing their conference tourney, 15 of which ended up in the NIT. The NIT extends automatic invites to any Division I team that wins its regular season conference championship, Ole Miss needed the bulk of those teams to also win their conference tournament and be pulled into the NCAA Tournament. That oversaturated the bracket and pushed Ole Miss out.
Once again, it's all circumstance and outside forces. Never, ever does Kennedy share any blame.

C'mon, man. He called the players HE recruited the island of misfit toys.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
55chevy wrote:We have a ten year track record with our current coach. Why would anyone expect to go to the NCAA tournament. In the last ten years we have gone twice. Once the stars lined up and we won the SEC tournament in a minor miracle and the other we were in a play in game. And speaking of the NCAA tournament, if we even had a average program we would be going on a regular basis. Over half the teams that play Div. one basketball go to the tournament. 128 teams, 68 entries. Ever since Chris Warren every team has been close to the same. One guard shooting it any time they can get it off and four others standing around hoping they can rebound it so they can shoot it also. Our program is a joke. Heck, might as well give him a extension and another raise. It is painfully obvious basketball simply doesn't matter at Ole Miss.
I was expecting u to finally come out with your bs. From someone who NEVER post when something good is happening. No mention that our injuries were what kept us from a tourney. We lost at least 3 games because of injuries. The loss to bama kept us out of the NIT, and that shouldn't have happened. U should be happy were home instead of being in a tourney. Now u can post. Lord knows u wouldn't say crap if we were dancing. AK knows this year won't be accepted in the future. It appears we are bringing in better talent. But I'll step back and let u have your fun, knowing this is what u live for. And don't say this isn't true. U proved my point when we went dancing after u said we wouldn't. And when we went, u of course quit posting. Enjoy.

We got drilled, and arguably the most electric player in the country was playing for us. You cannot waste a 39 point effort, (2nd most in history of tourney) against a team that is not very good. AK can get you close to 20 every year, but in today's game that doesn't get you anything. RPI and quality wins is the name of the game. Hopefully he will get some recruits and we learn how to run sets in the half court in year 11...I am not holding my breath. You are right, people just aren't fired up about the basketball program and barely post anything. You did not even post as much this year. You also have to admit people have grown very garden tool-hum to AK. That is not a shot, thats just the truth.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Syracuse finished 10th in the ACC with a 19-13 record and got in the tourney.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
55chevy wrote:We have a ten year track record with our current coach. Why would anyone expect to go to the NCAA tournament. In the last ten years we have gone twice. Once the stars lined up and we won the SEC tournament in a minor miracle and the other we were in a play in game. And speaking of the NCAA tournament, if we even had a average program we would be going on a regular basis. Over half the teams that play Div. one basketball go to the tournament. 128 teams, 68 entries. Ever since Chris Warren every team has been close to the same. One guard shooting it any time they can get it off and four others standing around hoping they can rebound it so they can shoot it also. Our program is a joke. Heck, might as well give him a extension and another raise. It is painfully obvious basketball simply doesn't matter at Ole Miss.
I was expecting u to finally come out with your bs. From someone who NEVER post when something good is happening. No mention that our injuries were what kept us from a tourney. We lost at least 3 games because of injuries. The loss to bama kept us out of the NIT, and that shouldn't have happened. U should be happy were home instead of being in a tourney. Now u can post. Lord knows u wouldn't say crap if we were dancing. AK knows this year won't be accepted in the future. It appears we are bringing in better talent. But I'll step back and let u have your fun, knowing this is what u live for. And don't say this isn't true. U proved my point when we went dancing after u said we wouldn't. And when we went, u of course quit posting. Enjoy.

We got drilled, and arguably the most electric player in the country was playing for us. You cannot waste a 39 point effort, (2nd most in history of tourney) against a team that is not very good. AK can get you close to 20 every year, but in today's game that doesn't get you anything. RPI and quality wins is the name of the game. Hopefully he will get some recruits and we learn how to run sets in the half court in year 11...I am not holding my breath. You are right, people just aren't fired up about the basketball program and barely post anything. You did not even post as much this year. You also have to admit people have grown very garden tool-hum to AK. That is not a shot, thats just the truth.
The main reason I don't post much on here anymore is because no one post. It IS the truth that we lost games we wouldn't have if not for the injuries. S. Car., MSU and K. St., I feel like we would've won. I'd like to see ANY team lose their 3 top players and see how they do. Coming into the season, I said NIT would be good enough this year since we lost most of last year's team. Baring the injuries, we'd at least made the NIT, maybe the big dance, who knows. We've had the IPF what, 4 years?? Been dancing 2 of those 4. Our loss to bama in the SEC tourney shouldn't have happened, and that's on the team and coaches. AK missed on some players this year, Escobar and Finley are 2 that come to mind. Doubt either will be back. Next years class are high school seniors mostly, so we'll not be relying on one year players and transfers as much. Our recruiting seems to be picking up. We also have a 4* committed for the 2017 class. Better quality players are visiting us now. The Pavilion just opened, so he needs time to recruit to it. I think he has at least 2 years from now to see how he can do. After those 2 years, if things don't look at least promising, I'm sure we'll have a new coach. But, he deserves these 2 years.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:It's the first time since 1974 that the NIT has left out an SEC team that won 20 regular season games and 10 conference games. 20 regular season champs ended up losing their conference tourney, 15 of which ended up in the NIT. The NIT extends automatic invites to any Division I team that wins its regular season conference championship, Ole Miss needed the bulk of those teams to also win their conference tournament and be pulled into the NCAA Tournament. That oversaturated the bracket and pushed Ole Miss out.
The NIT did us a favor! I had rather be snubbed than have to explain why we lost our first round NIT game to Bucknell or North Florida! I mean seriously folks, didn't the SEC tournament prove we can't win?
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
Here's the thing. WE have a 10 year track record. Bjork has a 4 yr track record, and in those 4 yrs. we've made it 2 times. No way Bjork is getting rid of AK right now.

IMO, Ole Miss can get to the point(should already be at the point, and maybe we are) that they make the NCAA 40%-50% of the time. I don't think it's too much to ask to at the very least be a bubble team year in and year out.

To completely miss the post-season in year 10 is bad if you ask me.

And we just built a new arena, so I wouldn't say basketball doesn't matter. It does have some catching up to do, though.
Sadly, this is probably right. We're content being a top 68 team 40% of the time! Not me! I'm content being a top 25 team 50% of the time. The dance field is so big these days, you need to make the tournament almost every year! Maybe not "every year" but almost every year. Depth is the problem! Injuries are a part of game! Develop the depth to compete in spite of injuries.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

I went the whole basketball season without saying one negative comment about this joke of a team. Moody was wasted in a circus system that is destined for failure on a regular basis. Yes, we got to twenty wins but eight to ten of those were against teams who were hand picked to make the end product look better. Every team has injuries that have to be dealt with. Watch any of our football games this year. It happens in every sport, Some just deal with it better. In ten years we are 8-9 in SEC tournament games and that includes winning it one year. You want to know how much attention basketball generates just look at the post in this section during the whole season. I have a simple question. In ten years how many games over .500 is Ak in SEC play. The answer to that alone should tell you something about the program. For those who don't want to take the time to look it up the answer is 8. 88-80 is the conference record. In ten years we have not averaged one conference win more than we have lost. That is just about as mediocre as it gets. If that is the goal then we have our guy. What gets me is how any sane person could actually think it is going to get better on any regular basis. I'm pretty sure everybody has heard the old saying about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. I guess I should just be happy to learn that Ak saved our season by doing his best coaching job yet. Without him just imagine how bad it would have been.
proud2breb
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:I went the whole basketball season without saying one negative comment about this joke of a team. Moody was wasted in a circus system that is destined for failure on a regular basis. Yes, we got to twenty wins but eight to ten of those were against teams who were hand picked to make the end product look better. Every team has injuries that have to be dealt with. Watch any of our football games this year. It happens in every sport, Some just deal with it better. In ten years we are 8-9 in SEC tournament games and that includes winning it one year. You want to know how much attention basketball generates just look at the post in this section during the whole season. I have a simple question. In ten years how many games over .500 is Ak in SEC play. The answer to that alone should tell you something about the program. For those who don't want to take the time to look it up the answer is 8. 88-80 is the conference record. In ten years we have not averaged one conference win more than we have lost. That is just about as mediocre as it gets. If that is the goal then we have our guy. What gets me is how any sane person could actually think it is going to get better on any regular basis. I'm pretty sure everybody has heard the old saying about the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. I guess I should just be happy to learn that Ak saved our season by doing his best coaching job yet. Without him just imagine how bad it would have been.
I support this message!