Ole Miss basketball is still figuring out its identity, but the problems are fixable

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

They always are fixable, but rarely fixed.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The real problem is this teams problems are the same problems that every team has had in the last ten years. Shot selection, it really is that simple. This team is loaded with talent and should get to the tournament easily but you have to have quality wins. It is hard to beat quality teams when you don't take good shots.
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Fix that shot selection by the 29th. That would be all smiles and fun
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

The S. Ala. game was our best game of the year. Had something like 19 assists to 23 fg's. Hope we're starting to get use to each other, cause Ky. is up next. Saw where in our last 85 SEC regular and SEC tournament games, we are 51-34. This team has a chance to be pretty good, we'll see. But I do like the direction the program is going since the Pavilion has opened. Only lose 2 players from the team this year, and have 3 pretty good players joining and also the big transfer from Drake.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

The only problem with the South Alabama game is that it doesn't mean anything. It isn't going to do anything or mean anything at the end of the year. The same can be said for UT Martin, Oral Roberts, Saint Joseph's, Montana, Murray State and Bradley. The only two games that could be close to quality wins is the U Mass or Memphis games and they haven't beat anyone worth talking about. The teams we have beat are four games over .500 as a group. So we are 12 games in and still looking for a quality win. Our next six games are going to be against teams that have as good or better records than OM and have played better competition. After the next six we will pretty much know where we stand. This team is talented but unless the same problems that all AK coached teams have had are addressed I'm afraid this team will wind up like the rest. There isn't any reason this team shouldn't make the NCAA tournament. Nineteen games left before the SEC tournament. I don't think 20 wins puts us anywhere near the tournament. I think it will take at least 23 or 24, maybe more. We need to beat the teams we are supposed to beat and a couple that we aren't favored to win. A good run in the SEC tournament wouldn't hurt either.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

St. Joseph is a good win and they could end up in the tourney. They have a rpi of 59 and their sos is 11. So their losses are against pretty good teams. Our rpi is 37 and sos is 29. I think 12 SEC wins and 1 win in the league tourney could get us in. AK is doing a good job of raising the talent level on our team. And the in coming class should just raise our talent level higher. And if it takes 24 wins to get in, no way that happens. U are talking about winning 15 SEC games, that ain't happening short of going to the championship game of the league tourney. At least half the league has more talent than we do, but we always seem to finish higher than projected.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

St. Joseph is 6-5 and they are in the same boat as us. No quality wins. If we aren't going to up our non conference schedule to include quality teams we are going to have to win more SEC games to get into the tournament. We have played three teams who have a chance for at large bids to the NCAA. We are 0-3 against them. Middle TN is the only one with a chance to win their conference. I don't think 22 gets us in unless it includes some wins against teams that are going. One or two and maybe even three over .500 in conference sends us back to the NIT. Let's say we are five games over .500 the rest of the way. That puts us at 21-10 going into the tournament. Unless that includes wins over teams that are going we go to the NIT. Om is as athletic as any team in the SEC except Kentucky. There is no excuse for another trip to the NIT.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

There are several teams with more talent than us in the conference. There is also several teams more athletic than us. If u don't believe that, then more power to u. But u are wrong. We are up grading our talent, but we still have a ways to go. There is a reason we were picked 9th, but I believe we will finish higher than that. Glad to see u think AK is up grading our talent. He's getting a better grade of players visiting, and is getting some to commit. Doubt u ever will have anything positive to say, so enjoy. Also, here's ESPN's ranking of our class last signing period, not this fall's signing period., where we signed the highest rated class in our history. We are almost at the bottom in recruiting, so there goes your we are more athletic than anyone except Ky. So what it comes to is AK is getting more out of our lower ranking classes than u give him credit for. And as our talent improves, so should we. But more athletic than all except Ky, that's laughable.

http://insider.espn.com/ncb/recruiting/ ... ?confId=23
Last edited by rebeljim on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

It is going to take fifth or better to keep from going to the NIT again. I don't see the SEC getting more than four or five at the most to the NCAA. There will be teams there that don't have the talent OM has. If OM doesn't go this year it will be for the same reasons they haven't gone before and that hasn't got anything to do with talent. It is all about style of play and shot selection. Take care of the basketball, cut down on turnovers and shoot better shots and they would be able to compete with any team in the SEC except Kentucky with the players they have right now.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Second longest tenured coach in the SEC and we're still here talking about several SEC teams with more talent than us.

You can blame the Tad Pad for the first 2/3 years, but by that time a good coach would've proven his abilities and began pulling in more blue chip recruits. Here we are talking about his 11th recruiting class being the best in school history(which is saying nothing really).

My guess is the new arena gives us a bump for 2/3 years, but then when players realize that he can't get them to the league, they stop coming again.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Why is Auburn recruiting better than Ole Miss?

247 currently has them ranked 8th and Ole Miss at 46.

We both have 8 tourney appearances. But, there last trip was 2003. Ole Miss has been twice since their last trip, and that is in the current decade. Their arena opened 6 years ago. Ours? Last year.

Why?
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:Second longest tenured coach in the SEC and we're still here talking about several SEC teams with more talent than us.

You can blame the Tad Pad for the first 2/3 years, but by that time a good coach would've proven his abilities and began pulling in more blue chip recruits. Here we are talking about his 11th recruiting class being the best in school history(which is saying nothing really).

My guess is the new arena gives us a bump for 2/3 years, but then when players realize that he can't get them to the league, they stop coming again.
Eric, funny u are saying any good coach would start bringing in blue chippers after the first 2/3 year, yet then u say we got our best class ever coming in. So where are all those blue chippers all our other good coaches got? I'll answer that, there were very few blue chippers. And since none of our other coaches were getting many blue chippers, guess that explains why no other coach we've had has a winning record. At least he's getting better players since the Pavilion opened. And better players should equal better teams. awbarn has out recruited us in basketball since the beginning of time, as have all the other league teams. We'll see after a couple of years where we're headed, and go from there. The program is seeing an uptick in talent, and no matter how much this boards hates him, he gets time to show if he can win with the new arena. And u nor anyone else knows if the players we are starting to get won't make the NBA. We are getting better players now. Not going to try and change the boards opinion of AK. But that's cool. I'll support the team, go to the few games I can make, and see how the year turns out. I'll be at the KY. game, with my grandson in section 203, seats 4 and 5 if any on here happen to be there. Would love to see an upset. And Eric, I think u will be wrong about u thinking the new arena will only give us a boost for 2/3 years. I think we'll start improving as we add better talent. And we'll get better talent as we improve.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Better players should equal better teams but unless the problem areas are addressed I'm afraid all it will mean is bigger disappointment. Until the "greenest light" in college basketball is addressed we will always be right where we're at now. You will always be able to get some guards who want to jack it up when they see daylight but no good big man is going to want to rebound it for them. Ten and a half years in and it is still the same old thing. Anybody ever heard what the definition of insanity is.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55, u have no idea what u are talking about. We have one of the best rebounding big men in the game today. Saiz is a walking double double. We had 19 assist on 23 fg's last game. We have a big man sitting out the year that is suppose to have NBA potential. We also have 2 other big men that will contribute that are freshmen, though one is out for the year. Get off your hate long enough to see what's ACTUALLY going on. Oh, I forgot, u will not support AK under any conditions. My bad, carry on.