Well...

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

That about does it. Now I'm just hoping for a winning season.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I will watch during the SEC tourney. Mainly because I like the tourney, but I am so tired of watching this. It is tolerable when there is a Chris Warren, Henderson, or Moody, but when you don't have that guy, this is a miserable brand of basketball. Even RebJim would have to admit AK gets next year tops, but it would not hurt my feelings at all to see a change this year. We are wasting a brand new arena. See you guys in the Baseball thread.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

This has to be AK's most disappointing team. I thought we would for sure make the NIT this year, and possible be NCAA bound. Both Burnett and Neal have been major disappointments. Our guard play has been poor. I was hoping we would redshirt Tyree, knew he wasn't going to help much this year since he had ACL surgery in April, and didn't join the team until 2 weeks before the season started. He won't be full speed until next season. This team just never jelled. U see glimpses of what they could be, but then they go back to the turnovers and stupid decisions. I'm still behind AK, think he deserves another year. But we need to take a step up next year, really hate to go through a coaching search for basketball.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:This has to be AK's most disappointing team. I thought we would for sure make the NIT this year, and possible be NCAA bound. Both Burnett and Neal have been major disappointments. Our guard play has been poor. I was hoping we would redshirt Tyree, knew he wasn't going to help much this year since he had ACL surgery in April, and didn't join the team until 2 weeks before the season started. He won't be full speed until next This team just never jelled. U see glimpses of what they could be, but then they go back to the turnovers and stupid decisions. I'm still behind AK, think he deserves another year. But we need to take a step up next year, really hate to go through a coaching search for basketball.
You gotta give him more time. At least until the next arena is built, or he dies of old age.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
rebeljim wrote:This has to be AK's most disappointing team. I thought we would for sure make the NIT this year, and possible be NCAA bound. Both Burnett and Neal have been major disappointments. Our guard play has been poor. I was hoping we would redshirt Tyree, knew he wasn't going to help much this year since he had ACL surgery in April, and didn't join the team until 2 weeks before the season started. He won't be full speed until next This team just never jelled. U see glimpses of what they could be, but then they go back to the turnovers and stupid decisions. I'm still behind AK, think he deserves another year. But we need to take a step up next year, really hate to go through a coaching search for basketball.
You gotta give him more time. At least until the next arena is built, or he dies of old age.
If he gets time to recruit to the new arena, then give it to him. No player on the court was recruited to the new arena. The only class recruited to the new arena hasn't stepped foot in it yet. We have 3 really promising players coming in. At least let them play a game before u judge the class. That was the deal from what I understand. AK gets to at least see what he can do with the Pavilion. He hasn't had the chance yet. And I can promise u the new area isn't being wasted. Look at our first class, that's pretty darn good. This team has disappointed me too, but not a firing cause, yet. Sure most on here disagree, but luckily the administration probably agrees.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:
If he gets time to recruit to the new arena, then give it to him. No player on the court was recruited to the new arena. The only class recruited to the new arena hasn't stepped foot in it yet. We have 3 really promising players coming in. At least let them play a game before u judge the class. That was the deal from what I understand. AK gets to at least see what he can do with the Pavilion. He hasn't had the chance yet. And I can promise u the new area isn't being wasted. Look at our first class, that's pretty darn good. This team has disappointed me too, but not a firing cause, yet. Sure most on here disagree, but luckily the administration probably agrees.
The only thing that recruiting can fix is a talent problem. Unfortunately for us, our main problem is not a lack of talent. We have watched the same thing year after year after year. At what point does it fall on the head coach? I'm the farthest thing from a basketball expert, but even I can watch us play and I know that is not how you play basketball at this level.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:
The only thing that recruiting can fix is a talent problem. Unfortunately for us, our main problem is not a lack of talent. We have watched the same thing year after year after year. At what point does it fall on the head coach? I'm the farthest thing from a basketball expert, but even I can watch us play and I know that is not how you play basketball at this level.
Kennedy is immune to it apparently. Untouchable.
Some Random Dude
GtownRebel
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:
Jim, if a building was all it took to get great players, then our 4 star players should be 5 star as we have the top facility in America. The problem with that logic is 5 star players are looking to go to the next level and that requires some coach that has proven to have gotten others to the League. I doubt seriously that you will see a 5 star player come to Ole Miss since AK is zero for 11 years in having any of his formers players make it to the NBA. Coach K, Coach C, etc. have names and proof of getting players to the NBA. AK has none there and by just coaching offense and no defense won't get it. But enjoy your wishful thinking that AK can do it. He does not have the IT factor.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:

Next year is absolutely it! There are a couple of reasons why he has kept his job to this point. The built in excuse of terrible facilities, the fact that Ole Miss basketball has been irrelevant for so long, and convincing guys to transfer in while letting them have the ultimate green light to shoot. I really like the guy. He is very well spoken and a cool guy to talk to. RebJim, I like and respect your opinion in every other thread, but you have been peeing down our legs and telling us its raining for years on the subject of AK and Ole Miss basketball..

There are people who made threads about firing Hugh Freeze... We went to the Sugar Bowl in year 4... When has AK ever sniffed that level of success? I'll hang up and listen...
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

MageeRebel425 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
lewindha wrote:

Next year is absolutely it! There are a couple of reasons why he has kept his job to this point. The built in excuse of terrible facilities, the fact that Ole Miss basketball has been irrelevant for so long, and convincing guys to transfer in while letting them have the ultimate green light to shoot. I really like the guy. He is very well spoken and a cool guy to talk to. RebJim, I like and respect your opinion in every other thread, but you have been peeing down our legs and telling us its raining for years on the subject of AK and Ole Miss basketball..

There are people who made threads about firing Hugh Freeze... We went to the Sugar Bowl in year 4... When has AK ever sniffed that level of success? I'll hang up and listen...
There is no comparing football to basketball, and u know it. I admit I've given AK lead way because of all the reasons u listed. And if next year is his year to do or die, so be it. I love Ole Miss basketball. Been watching it since 1970. And it sucks watching this team *beep* up like they have. I'll be there Saturday afternoon, hoping for a happy ending. Probably my last one of this season. No fun watching this team lose like they do. And as for as us going to the Sugar Bowl in year 4, we are paying for that now. Our program could get gutted for several years if the ncaa has their way. AK has never gotten us in any kind of trouble. I firmly believe the ncaa wants Freeze fired and will do all the damage they can as long as he's here. But that's for another board. It ain't like the last 10 years have been losing seasons, and not without some good times. We've had 2 of the most explosive players in our history, a SEC tourney champion, 2 ncaa tourneys, 2 ncaa tourney victories, 5 nits, 2 semi-finals in nit. That compared to ANY other time in our history is the best 10 years EVER. So it ain't like it's been brutal. He is the best we've ever had, even if that doesn't mean to much. We could end up having a worse program under the new coach. But we all want to go dancing, and that's the name of the game. Here's hoping he can get us there.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'll be there Saturday, too. Bringing my boys. Their first Ole Miss basketball game, my first at the Pavilion.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I take my grandson. My wife loves it because he goes in her place, both football and basketball games. She gets to stay home watching tv without sports. U will love the Pavilion. We'll be in section 203. In the cheap seats.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

[/quote]
The only thing that recruiting can fix is a talent problem. Unfortunately for us, our main problem is not a lack of talent. We have watched the same thing year after year after year. At what point does it fall on the head coach? I'm the farthest thing from a basketball expert, but even I can watch us play and I know that is not how you play basketball at this level.[/quote]

I'm glad you said it. It keeps me from saying it again. AK should have been gone seven years ago. We have wasted the last seven years on a pipe dream. No building will make up for the style of play and unless you are Kentucky no amount of talent will either. When you hire a coach in any sport you can give him four years and unless there are some weird circumstances you will be able to see what kind of program you will have for the most part. In year four the coach will be playing with the players he recruited and the seniors will have had four years in the system with their coach. If you give AK one more year or if you give him eleven more you will see the same. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with the style of basketball being played. It is the same style he played as a player in high school and college and every team he has put on the floor as a coach has been the same. Yes, on a good year he may get into the NCAA tournament. It will be the exception just as it has been. This is one of the most talented teams Ak has put on the floor. They don't have a clue how to play the game.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:
The only thing that recruiting can fix is a talent problem. Unfortunately for us, our main problem is not a lack of talent. We have watched the same thing year after year after year. At what point does it fall on the head coach? I'm the farthest thing from a basketball expert, but even I can watch us play and I know that is not how you play basketball at this level.[/quote]

I'm glad you said it. It keeps me from saying it again. AK should have been gone seven years ago. We have wasted the last seven years on a pipe dream. No building will make up for the style of play and unless you are Kentucky no amount of talent will either. When you hire a coach in any sport you can give him four years and unless there are some weird circumstances you will be able to see what kind of program you will have for the most part. In year four the coach will be playing with the players he recruited and the seniors will have had four years in the system with their coach. If you give AK one more year or if you give him eleven more you will see the same. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with the style of basketball being played. It is the same style he played as a player in high school and college and every team he has put on the floor as a coach has been the same. Yes, on a good year he may get into the NCAA tournament. It will be the exception just as it has been. This is one of the most talented teams Ak has put on the floor. They don't have a clue how to play the game.[/quote]

So u say AK should've been fired after year 4?? Our records for those years were 21-13, 24-11, 16-15, and 24-11. So u are saying he should've been fired after those seasons. We went to the nit 3 of those 4 years, twice making the semis in the nit. And we were tied for first place in the SEC west for 2 of those first 4 years, including AK's first year. The one year we didn't go was because we had massive injuries. And that first year was with the players Barnes had 4 straight losing seasons with, and yet AK won 21 games, and a share of first place with that group. Unreal.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

At this point my questions are these:

1) If Ole Miss doesn't play the AAU/Shoe company game and can't give Kennedy what he needs. Kennedy is so good, why doesn't he leave and go to school that can give him those things? Surely they want him. I mean he's the winningest coach in Ole Miss history.

2) Why haven't any schools come after him? And don't bring up UAB. People think Kennedy is a great coach, surely he can do better than UAB.

3) If Ole Miss doesn't play the AAU/Shoe company game, why are we paying Kennedy almost 2mil a year when we know what the results are more than likely going to be. What I'm saying is, you're basically telling me Ole Miss doesn't care about basketball. So why not stop paying so much for a coach in a sport that they don't care about.
Some Random Dude