Mizzou Reloaded

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

Chucky_38
All American
All American

Another good win. Mizzou has been playing better ball lately and hung around but our guys really stepped up when they needed too. Gotta win out.
Foward Rebels! March to Fame!
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

8-3 our last 11 conference games.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

Another "good" win over a sub 250 RPI team that came down to the wire. We're *hopefully* looking at another 20 win season, and we all know how valuable those are.
Titles 'R Us
All American
All American

Realistically speaking, we would have to beat Alabama, South Carolina and win at least two games in the SEC Tournament to be considered for the NCAA's. Anything less will land us in the NIT. We blew our chances to be much closer in the conversation when we didn't show up for the Georgia and A & M home games. That has to come down to coaching.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

He's also done a good job of getting this team turned around, that's pretty good coaching also. Even if all we get is nit, that's as good as going to over half the bowls we have now.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:He's also done a good job of getting this team turned around, that's pretty good coaching also. Even if all we get is nit, that's as good as going to over half the bowls we have now.
You're right. And what SEC football coach would have a job after year 11 with nothing but a few B'ham Bowls to show for it?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebelbear wrote:
rebeljim wrote:He's also done a good job of getting this team turned around, that's pretty good coaching also. Even if all we get is nit, that's as good as going to over half the bowls we have now.
You're right. And what SEC football coach would have a job after year 11 with nothing but a few B'ham Bowls to show for it?
He's got more than a few of B'ham Bowls to show for it.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
3rd most Sec wins in 11 years behind only UK and UF. Never a losing season. 7 post season appearances. How many Sec football coaches would be fired for that? Les Miles and Mark Richt is all I can think of.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
3rd most Sec wins in 11 years behind only UK and UF. Never a losing season. 7 post season appearances. How many Sec football coaches would be fired for that? Les Miles and Mark Richt is all I can think of.

Seven post season appearances my behind. The fact that we even count the NIT is the reason well never do better.
Some Random Dude
bbqit
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

lewindha wrote:
Chucky_38 wrote:
rebeljim wrote:

Seven post season appearances my behind. The fact that we even count the NIT is the reason well never do better.
It's not about counting but how much do they count.
In football I do love to mention how many bowls we won or our winning % in bowl games but what is good is over a third of those wins were big bowls. Those are the ones that count.
rebelbear
Head Coach
Head Coach

rebeljim wrote:
rebelbear wrote:
Oh.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

Well look at the other SEC teams in the past 11 years and compare their records to AK's program. Can't argue that. I'm just not sure why people think our ceiling is so much higher than what AK has done here.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:Well look at the other SEC teams in the past 11 years and compare their records to AK's program. Can't argue that. I'm just not sure why people think our ceiling is so much higher than what AK has done here.
I'm not sure why people don't think we can ever do better. We can do better than 2 tourneys in eleven years. I don't think, say, 4 tourney in 11 years is 'so much higher'.
Some Random Dude
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Some may fall out when I say this but AK isn't a terrible coach. He's been around the game long enough to know things about it and he is a average coach. The problem is he put's teams on the floor every year that have the same limitations and short comings. There are reasons this team isn't going to the NCAA tournament. They are the same reasons the last 8 out of 10 haven't gone. The number one reason is shot selection. OM thinks they can make one pass and shoot. It just doesn't happen like that. It isn't that easy. OM plays selfish on the offensive side of the ball. The players know that if they give the ball up it isn't coming back. They force things and make bad decisions on offense. There isn't one player willing to make the extra pass instead of shooting it. Not one player makes the others around them better. There is no "team" concept on offense, it is all one on one. There is no shortage of guards willing to come. Why wouldn't they want to come, they get to shoot it any time they want. This team right now can compete with any team in the nation. They shoot it, they rebound it and they have plenty of talent. The only thing lacking is style of play. Knowing how to play the game. This is where AK is lacking. His teams lack discipline and knowledge on how to play the game. They are also fundamentally weak and have the absolute worse half court game in the SEC. They win when they win because they can shoot the ball and have enough talent to compete. The SEC isn't the greatest league in the country and this helps also. Some times they are almost unwatchable, other times they play pretty well. I've said it before and I'll repeat it one more time. If you keep AK you are going to get exactly what you have already seen. He is going to put a team on the floor that is guard orientated. They are going to shoot it any time they want. They are going to win games but it will mostly be games against weak teams. They will always win close to twenty games because they are going to pick out eight to ten very winnable games. They will eventually get back to the NCAA tournament but it will be the exception. If you want the same he's the guy. He can continue doing what he's been doing. If you have higher expectations he cannot deliver it on a consistent basis. The NCAA tournament has 68 teams. We have failed to get into a 68 field tournament nine out of eleven years if we don't go this year. Before we start talking about how good he's doing lets let that sink in. 9 out of 11 year we haven't been able to make a 68 team field. It's time to accept reality. In basketball we are irrelevant. We average less than one game over .500 in conference play per year. That's about as average as it get's. We have a average program, if that's the plan we can keep doing exactly as we've been doing.
Chucky_38
All American
All American

lewindha wrote:
Chucky_38 wrote:Well look at the other SEC teams in the past 11 years and compare their records to AK's program. Can't argue that. I'm just not sure why people think our ceiling is so much higher than what AK has done here.
I'm not sure why people don't think we can ever do better. We can do better than 2 tourneys in eleven years. I don't think, say, 4 tourney in 11 years is 'so much higher'.
So it's worth firing AK for two additional tourney appearances? Seems kinda crazy if we trade winning seasons for two more appearances. Then we are just like everyone else not named UK and UF. Inconsistent programs with flashes of success as opposed to sustained success. I just can't get a clear picture of a higher ceiling in basketball when it's currently higher than it's ever been. We've never had a run with this many wins. We've never been a program that finished in the top 6 of the SEC for six straight years. I like being a tough out that always has a chance to dance as opposed to being like AU or LSU or aTm or Bama or really any of the SEC teams that do exactly what we do now except win consistently.