Mizzou Reloaded

Basketball Related Discussions

Moderator: Rebel Security

55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Howland inherited a mess of a program and it is already showing signs of improvement. Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes haven't been in their positions that long ether. We will have to wait a few years to see just what happens with all three. If you want to take their resumes from the schools they built their careers at the comparisons begin to pale pretty rapidly. Another program to keep a eye on is Vandy. They have a great young coach and if he stays I expect them to get better. We are in year eleven and nobody can say we are relevant on the national level. All we have proven is that we can beat up on teams like LA Monroe and Oral Roberts and come in somewhere around .500 in conference on a fairly consistent basis. Jim is to the point that he see's the NIT as a successful year. I only wish I could. He thinks that if we are picked to finish 9th and manage to squeak in 7th that AK is over achieving. What finishing 6th or 7th or 8th means is that we are average in a overall weak conference. At one time Rob Evans had OM headed in the right direction. I can't blame him for going home but the program hasn't been back to the levels he left for Rod Barnes to squander. The reason AK is the winningest coach in OM history is that he's been here for 11 years. He has made a career beating teams with inferior talent and once again going around .500 in conference. In 11 years he has two years where he was over four games over .500. If we do not beat SC Saturday it will make the 6th time we are at or under .500 in eleven years. To get technical, if it weren't for the two years he did manage to go 12-6 and 11-7 he would actually be under .500 in conference for his career.
Last edited by 55chevy on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Chucky_38 wrote:I can see the tourney point. But I just do not believe Ole Miss basketball is capable of consistently making the tourney. I see no evidence in our basketball history to prove we can be consistent tourney players. Not even the Evans/Barnes era, which we had four losing SEC records in Evans six years and five losing SEC records in Barnes eight years by the way. AK has produced 6 straight non losing SEC records. At Ole Miss. The historicaly worst basketball program in the SEC and he's gone dancing twice. One less than Evans and Barnes combined. Now maybe there is something I don't see there, but it sure looks like AK is maxing the programs potential.
SEC was much better back when Evans was coach. The league started to tail off towards the end of Barnes' tenure. That 3rd or 4th SEC team has been ripe for the picking since AK got here and he's made it twice in 11 years.

You folks need to stop comparing Ole Miss basketball to Ole Miss basketball and start comparing us against teams that actually make the tourney.
Some Random Dude
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Let's be honest here. Howland and Pearl have MANY more years at those jobs before any of you guys can call them failures.
Some Random Dude
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:Howland inherited a mess of a program and it is already showing signs of improvement. Bruce Pearl and Rick Barnes haven't been in their positions that long ether. We will have to wait a few years to see just what happens with all three. If you want to take their resumes from the schools they built their careers at the comparisons begin to pale pretty rapidly. Another program to keep a eye on is Vandy. They have a great young coach and if he stays I expect them to get better. We are in year eleven and nobody can say we are relevant on the national level. All we have proven is that we can beat up on teams like LA Monroe and Oral Roberts and come in somewhere around .500 in conference on a fairly consistent basis. Jim is to the point that he see's the NIT as a successful year. I only wish I could. He thinks that if we are picked to finish 9th and manage to squeak in 7th that AK is over achieving. What finishing 6th or 7th or 8th means is that we are average in a overall weak conference. At one time Rob Evans had OM headed in the right direction. I can't blame him for going home but the program hasn't been back to the levels he left for Rod Barnes to squander. The reason AK is the winningest coach in OM history is that he's been here for 11 years. He has made a career beating teams with inferior talent and once again going around .500 in conference. In 11 years he has two years where he was over four games over .500. If we do not beat SC Saturday it will make the 6th time we are at or under .500 in eleven years. To get technical, if it weren't for the two years he did manage to go 12-6 and 11-7 he would actually be under .500 in conference for his career.
U are wrong in saying what I think. If he can't get us dancing with the Pavilion, he will be gone. And one more time, the reason he's the winningest coach, is because he's won more PER YEAR than anyone. Do u understand that? He's won more than anyone after every year. Year one, year two, and so on. After 4 years of coaching, 6 years of coaching, he's won more. Has nothing to do with him being here the longest. But he has to get us dancing now with the Pavilion, but he also gets that chance as for as I know. Really doubt he gets fired right now considering we maybe looking for a new coach in another sport.
u can never judge a book by how it chews its food
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

How many other coaches got 11 years. He's zero for one in the pavilion just like he's two for eleven over all. Do you understand that. The NIT is for also rans. It is for teams not good enough to make it into a 68 team field for the good tournament. Do you understand that. Rob Evans took OM to the NCAA tournament two times in six years. Poor old Rod Barnes went three in eight years. He did it with Rob Evans players but he did do it. Ak has been twice in eleven years. Do you understand that. Give him three more years and he will win even more....but only because he's been here longer. Insanity has been defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Do you understand that.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

What I understand is he's our coach. And if u don't like it go pull for someone else. U the understand that? And not one player that's been recruited to the Pavilion has played a second yet. Do u understand that? And it wasn't Barnes getting us to the tourney, it was Mark Dukes. And we know about the arkie ordeal that got us those players, and how that ended.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Maybe next year AK can do his usual routine of not beating anybody worth playing and his usual average conference performance and get us back to the NIT again. His brilliance at getting us to the NIT is the stuff of legends. We make it most every year. I forget, what was our record against top 50 rpi teams this year. ESPN has our SOS at 69th right now and has us as the 74th ranked team. Man, just think, he has us all the way up to 74th, and it only took him eleven years. Maybe we better give him a raise to keep some powerhouse from trying to hire him out from under us. I didn't realize Mark Dukes was ever the coach at Ole Miss.
GtownRebel
All American
All American

rebeljim wrote: First of all, they will be in a the nit. We were a 2 seed going into the bama game. Again, they will be in the nit this year. He's the winningest coach because he's won more games PER YEAR, won more sec games PER YEAR, than anyone else. Never seen anyone say anything about a final 4, so u need to come up with something else. I'll back out and let u haters continue. So since AK got here, we quit putting players in the NBA?? Yea, right. He's brought in 2 of the 5 most prolific scorers in our history. Has brought in our all time rebounder, and brought in our all time shot blocker. Thought I'd point out a few facts.
Cool down Jim. I am just stating facts. You avoided the NBA question like the Dems do every day. What NBA player has AK placed in the NBA? Henderson and Moody didn't make it there, so maybe I missed it on any Ole Miss announcement. Plus, I am not an AK hater, but I am a basketball fan as I have played, coached, and officiated it for years. I don't any more...just a fan still. And since I am in Indiana now, I can watch good basketball being played. So the question that won't be answered is about the NBA and teams that are good have sent players there. I do back Ole Miss in all sports, but when I see a problem I will voice my opinion. Yours will differ from mine, so I can live with it. Can you?
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

GtownRebel wrote:
rebeljim wrote: First of all, they will be in a the nit. We were a 2 seed going into the bama game. Again, they will be in the nit this year. He's the winningest coach because he's won more games PER YEAR, won more sec games PER YEAR, than anyone else. Never seen anyone say anything about a final 4, so u need to come up with something else. I'll back out and let u haters continue. So since AK got here, we quit putting players in the NBA?? Yea, right. He's brought in 2 of the 5 most prolific scorers in our history. Has brought in our all time rebounder, and brought in our all time shot blocker. Thought I'd point out a few facts.
Cool down Jim. I am just stating facts. You avoided the NBA question like the Dems do every day. What NBA player has AK placed in the NBA? Henderson and Moody didn't make it there, so maybe I missed it on any Ole Miss announcement. Plus, I am not an AK hater, but I am a basketball fan as I have played, coached, and officiated it for years. I don't any more...just a fan still. And since I am in Indiana now, I can watch good basketball being played. So the question that won't be answered is about the NBA and teams that are good have sent players there. I do back Ole Miss in all sports, but when I see a problem I will voice my opinion. Yours will differ from mine, so I can live with it. Can you?
The only player from AK's teams would be T. White, and he's not doing anything. But like I said, what coach of ours has put a player in the nba? Can u name the last player before White that made the nba, and who coached them? Yall act like we've gone down hill since AK got here, and it's just the opposite. And u can have what ever opinion u want.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

55chevy wrote:Maybe next year AK can do his usual routine of not beating anybody worth playing and his usual average conference performance and get us back to the NIT again. His brilliance at getting us to the NIT is the stuff of legends. We make it most every year. I forget, what was our record against top 50 rpi teams this year. ESPN has our SOS at 69th right now and has us as the 74th ranked team. Man, just think, he has us all the way up to 74th, and it only took him eleven years. Maybe we better give him a raise to keep some powerhouse from trying to hire him out from under us. I didn't realize Mark Dukes was ever the coach at Ole Miss.
Dukes was the assistant to Barnes. When he left, so did our program. Went straight down hill after he left. Maybe u should learn a little bit about our past. Like I said, u should go pull for someone else, since u hate our program so much.
lewindha
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

rebeljim wrote:
GtownRebel wrote:
The only player from AK's teams would be T. White, and he's not doing anything. But like I said, what coach of ours has put a player in the nba? Can u name the last player before White that made the nba, and who coached them? Yall act like we've gone down hill since AK got here, and it's just the opposite. And u can have what ever opinion u want.
Sesay? Evans?

You can give credit to other coaches successes all you want. All that tells me is that maybe AK needs to hire better assistants. I don't care who is responsible for it, just get us to the tournament.
Some Random Dude
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Justin Reed... Was on a team that actually took us to the only sweet 16 in program history... The 01 team got put out of the sweet 16 an Arizona squad that was loaded with future NBA talent and played for the Natty that year. Fact is, if a back up point guard doesn't stroke a 3 in the SEC tourney, AK is not the coach, but he did... I hope they win tomorrow and win the SEC tourney, but I have seen this movie too many times and its not an all time classic.
rebeljim
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

I'm going tomorrow for senior day. I don't expect a win. This team has to many holes. Our pg play is up and down with Tyree. Not his fault as he didn't practice with the team in fall practice. I do think he'll be a very good player before he leaves. We have no scoring from the 4, and that leads to constant double team of Saiz. Both Neal and Burnett have under performed. And our post depth got destroyed with injury and ignorance.
55chevy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

rebeljim wrote:
55chevy wrote:Maybe next year AK can do his usual routine of not beating anybody worth playing and his usual average conference performance and get us back to the NIT again. His brilliance at getting us to the NIT is the stuff of legends. We make it most every year. I forget, what was our record against top 50 rpi teams this year. ESPN has our SOS at 69th right now and has us as the 74th ranked team. Man, just think, he has us all the way up to 74th, and it only took him eleven years. Maybe we better give him a raise to keep some powerhouse from trying to hire him out from under us. I didn't realize Mark Dukes was ever the coach at Ole Miss.
Dukes was the assistant to Barnes. When he left, so did our program. Went straight down hill after he left. Maybe u should learn a little bit about our past. Like I said, u should go pull for someone else, since u hate our program so much.
I actually knew who Mark Dukes was before he got to Ole Miss. I played against teams he coached and long ago I watched my dads teams play teams he coached. I know plenty about our past and our present and unless changes are made I know about our future also. Matter of fact I've pretty much been right in most everything I've posted while you have made excuse after excuse passing responsibility waiting on things to improve "next year". I don't hate our program but I can plainly see that our program is in dire need of improvement and I certainly don't like to see it mired in mediocrity. I do watch other teams. Been doing it for years. Maybe you need to start tuning in to some other teams also so you could actually get a clue about just what kind of program we do have and how good teams play the game. Want to know what is wrong with our program. We average 12.9 assist a game. That is 229th in the nation. We allow 76.4 points per game. That is 270th in the nation. 15 turnovers a game. We have ONE player who shoots 50% from the floor and he averages 3.7 ppg. Burnett 34%. Neal 40%. Brooks 37%. Tyree 39%. Every one of them can actually shoot the ball but they shoot a miserable percentage because of shot selection. Shot selection and style of play fall back directly on the head coach.
MageeRebel425
Rebel Legend
Rebel Legend

Drops mic...